It came as a shock, but sadly not a surprise

Even though I didn't agree with his politics, I respected the man for his character and integrity.

He will be missed, Canada has lost a great man

RG

This sucks! I really really loved his cheery disposition and optimism. Rest in Peace Mr. Layton. We will all take comfort knowing you are in a better place without suffering.

Guest tr*****e

What set this man apart from most was his integrity, as others have already mentioned. Irrespective of one's own personal political leanings, he was respected by many. His wit, energy, devotion, and go-to attitude will never be forgotten. May whatever lies beyond this life for him be kind, for he has been kind to many.

My heartfelt thanks for his visionary pathos and all-conquering smile to his family, and may they find peace in this time of upheaval.

He was a man of the people, I met him once i'm honored to have shared his company and shake his hand. The just don't make poloticians like that anymore, what a loss for his family and for our country.

Even though we knew he was ill, this came as a shock. I admired Jack for his charisma and leadership. Jack was the coolest of the leaders that we've had in many years. Plus, the guy was an experienced pooner, according to reports of his past activities!

XMY - I think you nailed it... Jack was cool.

We haven't had a cool guy since Pierre was cool in 1968. They shared a lot in common... both reached out to Canada's youth, both were very well educated and both had that charisma. Unfortunately Jack never had the chance to truly shine... he was taken before he could truly show what he was capable of doing.

So many have already said so much. While I did not subsrcibe to his point of view, I admired the strength of character and passion he brought to everything he did.

He will be missed.

I feel robbed..

Jack was a man of character. He reminded me much of Kennedy, taken from us before he accomplished all he was sent to do. He was a man of great insight and potential. He served well while he was with us, but we will never know what might have been. We should all aspire to serve as he did.

God Bless, Jack...R.I.P.

E.

canada last a great man today. i never really followed politics before i heard jack layton. he was a passionate man with lots of charisma.

jack, you will be miss

r.i.p.

Guest Ro**D*e***r

He was a good man and a honest politician. He was very approachable and I am glad I had the chance to meet him on his last visit to St. John's. All the best to his wife and children. From reading his letter he seems like he had accepted the fact he wasn't going to win this fight. From personal experience, it makes it a little easier for family if the person is at peace towards the end.

Guest f***2f***

RIP Jack. We are poorer for losing you among us. My heart felt sympathy to Olivia and the family.

Guest tr*****e
... Jack was cool.

jack_layton_drin_427321artw1.jpg

Yes, he was the politician we could stand to have beers with. I would have gladly drained a few double vodka tonics with that guy... Not with any of the others, though. He did reach out to a lot of younger people. I'm not sure how much my working class fortunes would have changed had he been PM, but he made me believe that there are still visionaries in politics. His name is up there with Diefenbaker, Douglas, and Trudeau. Like them or not, they all had a profound effect on Canada, and there is no shortage of people who wish those Prime Ministers would come back.

Edit: T.C. Douglas was never PM, I realize that. My point was that he had a profound impact on Canadian political history.

Edited by tr*****e