I was looking at a sign in a local store that said they did not accept $50 and $100 bills and it got me to wondering about something.

Do SPs have a preference for large or small bills? i.e. three $100 bills or 15 $20s.

Just a passing thought....

I was wondering the same thing since I have been getting $50's and $100's from my cash machine lately when making a large withdrawl.

I also reembursed a friend a few months ago with larger bills and he complained that he could not use them anywhere.

I have a slight preference for larger bills, but it doesn't really matter. Money is money, and if I want larger bills there is a bank just around the corner.

I don't care one way or the other because they can always be exchanged at the bank. Now, on the other hand, if you were to give me all $5 bills I might be slightly irked!

I don't care one way or the other because they can always be exchanged at the bank. Now, on the other hand, if you were to give me all $5 bills I might be slightly irked!

What about toonies and loonies. LOL

What about toonies and loonies. LOL

Do you value your balls? LMAO Just kidding. But seriously, someone told me once that she received a bag full of rolled coins as payment.

• Like 1

Do you value your balls? LMAO Just kidding. But seriously, someone told me once that she received a bag full of rolled coins as payment.

I love my shaved balls. :icon_biggrin:

Ya Its stupid. They dont take large bills at the gas station. Its 150$ to fill my truck your going to take them!

I think it's safe to say that a lady should be paid in bills no smaller than $20s. Unless their rates are an odd amount, requiring either a $10, or a $50. But don't pay the majority of the fee in $10s, $5s or coins. It's insulting to be honest.

I think it's safe to say that a lady should be paid in bills no smaller than $20s. Unless their rates are an odd amount, requiring either a $10, or a $50. But don't pay the majority of the fee in $10s, $5s or coins. It's insulting to be honest.

Actually I'll almost always pay in twenties even if it's an odd number. I don't like to carry around cash on me too much so I'll usually stop at an ATM just before the encounter. Rounding high of course. For example if her rate's $250 I'll bring $260. It's just a lot more convenient for me that way.

Posted via Mobile Device

There are very few stores that I have encountered that don't accept $50s or $100s, I think it's pretty safe to use larger bills, in the city at least.

I would be ok with some loonies, I have a coin operated laundry room, just today had to run out to get 4 quarters changed to a loony, FML! Should be more organized, I know, but it's been a busy week!

Great question!

P.s. No more than 10 loonies per client, lol!!!

Guest f***2f***

I prefer to put 50 and 100 in the envelope. It's not as bulky as all those twenties. I 've never heard any of the ladies complain so I assume they are OK with it too.

Well, I'd probably prefer to use 50s or 100s... but the ATMs I use give me nothing but 20s, so that's what I'm stuck with.

Recently Emma Alexander posted about receiving $100.00 bills which turned out to be counterfeit. There may be ladies reluctant to take a $100.00 bill So for me I'm not going to pay in $100.00, I'll stick to 20's, 50's, 10's loonies and toonies (ok, maybe no loonies and toonies)

RG

Most grocery stores (except for late at night), LCBO, The Beer Store accept $50 and $100.

I don't care either way. Money is money. I wouldn't even care if you paid me entirely in change. Unless I missed something, stores still have to take your change ;)

I personally prefer 20's and 50's. I tend to do my groceries and small errands by paying cash and I found it easier to spend 20's instead of 100's. The bigger bills I automatically put them in the bank. I hate walking around the city with 100...maybe just me:P

I was looking at a sign in a local store that said they did not accept $50 and $100 bills and it got me to wondering about something.

Do SPs have a preference for large or small bills? i.e. three $100 bills or 15 $20s.

Just a passing thought....

Interesting question I have often wondered this myself. Glad to get some insight into S.P.'s opinions on this. As for stores who don't accept $50 or $100 bills is this not legal currency and a risk of doing business. What if you purchase something not knowing they don't accept larger bills and only had a $50 or $100 bill. What would happen if you purchase $30 in gas and went in and paid in pennies could they deny it the penny is still legal currency.

T.T.

Guest W***ledi*Time
... What would happen if you purchase $30 in gas and went in and paid in pennies could they deny it the penny is still legal currency....

I think there are limits, beyond which they could be denied.

From the Currency Act, Section 8(2):

A payment in coins... is a legal tender for no more than the following amounts for the following denominations of coins:

(a) forty dollars if the denomination is two dollars ....

(b) twenty-five dollars if the denomination is one dollar;

© ten dollars if the denomination is ten cents or greater but less than one dollar;

(d) five dollars if the denomination is five cents; and

(e) twenty-five cents if the denomination is one cent.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-52/page-1.html

Interesting question I have often wondered this myself. Glad to get some insight into S.P.'s opinions on this. As for stores who don't accept $50 or $100 bills is this not legal currency and a risk of doing business. What if you purchase something not knowing they don't accept larger bills and only had a $50 or $100 bill. What would happen if you purchase $30 in gas and went in and paid in pennies could they deny it the penny is still legal currency.

T.T.

With coins, if there are enough that can be rolled, they might insist they be rolled. So for pennies, you're safe up to 50 - lol.

Most gas stations and corner stores are happy to accept your coins because they have to pay a premium at the bank to get rolled change.

I used to go over the Quickie in my neighbourhood and dump $30-$50 worth of change on the counter and the guy would trade me for bills.

But not when it was busy, because it had to be counted.

As for not accepting $50s and $100s, usually there is a sign indicating such.

As a sidebar, there are machines that accept coins and redeem them for bills

albeit with a minor service fee

I got over $250.00 redeeming my pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters recently, and no hassles with rolling the coins and going to the bank

Here's the link

http://www.coinstar.com/

And this link will show you locations in the Ottawa area

http://www.coinstar.com/coinmachine/SearchAddress/ottawa%2C%20ontario

Surprising how fast coins add up to major dollars

RG

• Like 1

As a sidebar, there are machines that accept coins and redeem them for bills

albeit with a minor service fee

I got over $250.00 redeeming my pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters recently, and no hassles with rolling the coins and going to the bank

Here's the link

http://www.coinstar.com/

And this link will show you locations in the Ottawa area

http://www.coinstar.com/coinmachine/SearchAddress/ottawa%2C%20ontario

Surprising how fast coins add up to major dollars

RG

I've used those machines several times in Montreal and they are great. The fee is not a fixed one though.

I can't remember the exact amount they take on the dollar but it's well worth it.

And yes you are correct RG... It's surprising how fast coins add up to major dollars!