Wine-ing for Dining

I would like to know what the CERB population is drinking, wine that is.

What is your favorite red, white and sparkling wine?

I've been tryng to get a feel of what the majority of the people these days like.

• Like 1

Nothing alcoholic, I can't drink

But when I'm having an encounter, I ask the lady ahead of time what she'd like, and always make sure the bottle is sealed, and only open in front of her

RG

• Like 1

I love a lovely Chateauneuf du Pape... it's a robust full bodied red from the Rhone.

Amarone and Ripasso also come to mind....

One of the all time faves at a reasonable price? J Lohr 7 Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon from California - LCBO has it now on the essentials list at about $22 a bottle. Another full bodied red, it is a perfect complement to a steak - in fact, the Keg has had it on their menu for years.

• Like 1

Guest E*******h S******s

I can't drink red (my taste buds love it, my tummy, not s'much). I like a nice Pinot Grigio or a Reisling.

I seem to be stuck on Italian reds right now, Masi Costasera which is more then I usually spend or a nice Valpollicella.

Pinot Gris for white right now but I am not overly particular.

great value in the reds from Argentina, certainly there are some nice Malbec's

...Trivento Golden Reserve...

.....Zolo (they also bottle a nice Cab Sauv)....

both in the $18 range in Manitoba, good and robust..

A nice domestic red.. Jackson-Triggs Meritage 2006, maybe $20 here..

enjoy!

Ok, so wine is not usually my favourite, I much prefer sparkling wines!

Martini and Rossi Asti Spumanti (I love this one because it makes me think of Thanksgiving with the folks--when I was a kid my parents always used to let my sister and I have a tiny glass at Thanksgiving as a special treat)

Prosecco!

On a cold winter day there is nothing that warms me up better than a nice vintage Barolo - okay a good Lafite Rothschild would (and has) but I don't have that many special occasions and I just can't justify those prices for an average night out. (It's not like it's shoes!) ;) For a nice table red I often select something from Spain or Portugal, IMHO the prices are fantastic for the quality of the wine.

In the summer I will often relax with an Alsatian Riesling or an Austrian Grüner Veltliner but almost every year I find a new region with new and exciting whites so that will likely change by next year.

I have a definite soft spot for Argentinian Malbec. And for a big Shiraz (nothing subtle, please - I want my taste buds to be bludgeoned into submission). And for Cabernet Franc. And when I'm travelling (or even when I'm at home, for that matter) I have a bias towards local stuff. But really, I'll drink anything :)

On the bubbly side, things like Cava and Vouvray are fantastic... bear in mind that if you buy Champagne, you're paying quite a bit extra just to see that magic word on the label. And while it may impress people, the label doesn't actually taste all that good.

Let's crack out the list! Been working on building my little wine cellar back in London and have some very good bottles here as well! Ended up with a wine cellar in the house I bought back in West London that can hold 400 bottles...so might as well fill it up!!!! :D

Currently in white..

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2010 from New Zealand...probably one of the best white wines I've ever had!!!

Fish Eye Pinot Grigio 2010 from California, very well priced and goes great with chicken and pasta with alfredo based sauces.

Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio 2010 from Australia, again very well priced and goes well with just about anything.

Now for red...

Trius Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 from Niagra, very smooth wine and one of the better Canadian wines I've had. Would recommend it to anyone!

Santa Carolina Reserva Merlot 2010 from Chile. Considered to be one of the world's best Merlot's and I very much agree with the experts on this one!!!

Fuzion Alta Malbec Reserva 2009 from Argentina. I have not tried this one yet, but my Father raves about it, so I am looking forward to finally trying it.

Folonari Valpolicelle 2010 from Italy. Just a classic wine, great with any pasta and never disappoints!

Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2010 from New Zealand...probably one of the best white wines I've ever had!!!

agreed with that one!

So for me let's see...

a Rothschild is always lovely to have, but so bloody expensive!

an Auxerrois Blanc de Laquenexy it's a wine from Alsace in France, I never saw it in Ontario and once in Québec, but if you ever go to France...you need to have it, it's heaven in mouth.

does Dom Perignon count as wine?:P

I'm going to sound so un-cultured here but I only drink red wine and the cheaper it is, the better. Anything around $10/$11 is right in my price range.

I'm going to sound so un-cultured here but I only drink red wine and the cheaper it is, the better. Anything around $10/$11 is right in my price range.

No need to apologize, there are some really decent value wines out there that are quite tasty. Wolf Blass is very affordable (the Cab. Sauv is on sale for $14.55)... as are quite a few others. Some are quite fun... there's a white from New Zealand "Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush" at $10.95 it's a steal!

I have a real soft sport for the Californian Beringer White Zinfandel...a really sweet rose....great for summer and makes awesome sangria when mixed with some orange juice and melon liquor!

I'm also a really big port fan.....my favorite is the 10 year old tawny by Warres....Optima. Anyone who says they hate port will love this one!

And i do love a good Gewurztraminer.....yes I'm a girly-girl who loves her sweet fruity smoky white wines :-)

To quote Neil Diamond, "Red, red wine".

Started off with dry red wine from France, tried to get my bearings around Beaujolais and Burgundy, eventually settled on Cabernet Sauvignon. Later, I found Australian Shiraz, and spent a few years with that. Lately, I have to agree with Old Dog, Amarone and Ripasso. They may be thicker, but you just have to sip it slower.

Guest W***ledi*Time

When I saw this on the NSLC shelves, I couldn't resist buying it, just for the *ahem* name.

From Jost, one of the top wineries in Nova Scotia. And no ... get your mind out of the gutter... it's actually a blend of four different grape varieties. It's got nothing to do with ... uh ... you know.

But it is quite tasty!

Jost_label.jpg