Silly childhood sayings that now have a whole new meaning

Not really sure what the heck made me think of this but I remember my son and his friends using this saying when they were probably about seven. "Suce ma graine pour cinquante cennes" which translates to "suck my cock for fifty cents". It was said in a sing song type of way; kind of an innocent taunt cause I am not sure they actually really understood what they were saying.

Trying to hide my amusement, I would always scold them when I heard them. I mean, come on, who in their right mind would for a measily fifty cents. Now, you have to understand that at that time, this profession wasn't even on my radar but I knew that if it was me...fifty cents wouldn't cut it LOL

• Like 1

When I was in high school I always used to say "Dad, I want to quit school and I will go get a job" ..... After a few years all I wanted to say was "Dad, I want to quit my job and go back to school, can you pay my car loan, and my gas and my rent and my tuition and give me an allowance again ? "

I am trying to recall the exact rhyme.

When I was a kid and lived in a place where there were such things as sidewalks, we would walk along and there was a rhyme about if you step upon a crack, it will break your mothers back. Hmm, now where would that have ever come from?

I learnt this in school. The original verse comes from the early 19th and 20th century when racism was more prevalent. It went step on a crack break a

*horribleracialslur*'s back.

Rhymes have a way of becoming more PC over time, just like that catch a tiger by the toe if he hollers let him go. We all know tiger wasn't the original word in that little rhyme. *shakes head*

Posted via Mobile Device

This is not such a childhood term and is one that we hear today. Most users people would be horrified if they understood the meaning of the phase when they use it.

The term is " well let's call a spad a spad". It sounds like a term that came from playing poker or maybe even a game of hearts with your grandmother and is ment to mean 'let's be honest here'.

Actually it comes from a complete disreguard for useing a hurtful slang term of racial description.

I know that when people use it they are calling for honesty and I respect that, but I wince inside when-ever I hear that phase and am torn between informing them of the original meaning of the term, and keeping my mouth shut knowing that they are ignorant of what the just said. May this phase fall from our dialect. If not may all of us take this secret to our graves and have it die a natural death.

I have not helped by shareing this with you , but maybe I have if you expunge this term from your own vocabulary.

Guest W***ledi*Time

I'm not so sure that the origin of the phrase "calling a spade a spade" has anything to do with the use of the term "spade" in its later racist meaning. The phrase seems to predate the racist usage by several centuries:

See http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/more/212/ , for example.

So while its origin was not racist, the problem is that people think it's racist. Which is just as hurtful from a practical point of view.

Anyone remember this song?

"Floating down the gutter on a piece of bread and butter, diarrhea PLOP PLOP!, diarrhea PLOP PLOP!

Some people think it's funny but it's really dark and runny, diarrhea PLOP PLOP! diarrhea PLOP PLOP!"

I'm not so sure that the origin of the phrase "calling a spade a spade" has anything to do with the use of the term "spade" in its later racist meaning. The phrase seems to predate the racist usage by several centuries:

See http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/more/212/ , for example.

So while its origin was not racist, the problem is that people think it's racist. Which is just as hurtful from a practical point of view.

As simple minded as this sounds, I just found out that this is considered a racial slur. It was the shovel argument where I was from and in that sense I have always used it. I had never heard the term "spade" used racially until this summer. Perhaps it's a Yankee thing...

cat

It is very much a Yankee thing. Having grown up just outside New York City in the early 70s I heard it often. Also the more blunt version with the "N" word.

I was in a car with my friends one night and I was like "ah! I'm getting attacked by Skeeters!" (mosquitoes)

They looked at me like I was crazy, they have NEVER beard of a Skeeter. Or the song. Should've seen their faces when I starterd singing

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS1tXYexlcyTSkCY_lj251sDqADxISYWSuC1GnnjoC4tPDU7CDxQ

There's a skeeter on my peter. Whack it off --clap clap--

There's a skeeter on my peter. Whack it off --clap clap--

There's a skeeter on my peter and I really wanna beat 'er

There's a skeeter on my peter whack it off.--clap clap--

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS1tXYexlcyTSkCY_lj251sDqADxISYWSuC1GnnjoC4tPDU7CDxQ

Edited by Serena Blake
spelling

A man's occupation is to stick his cockulation

Up a woman's ventilation

To increase the population

I got this from the Board of Education

If you'd like a demonstration

Would you please lie down!

I had never heard the term "spade" used racially until this summer. Perhaps it's a Yankee thing.....cat

This one has been around a long time. I believe it comes from the old expression "black as the ace of spades".

We generally don't hear people using these epithets here in northern New England. On the other hand I routinely hear a lot of different derogatory racial terms referring to Blacks, Hispanics and Asians in Boston and some are quite surprising.

I recall reading this in the Manchester (NH) paper last summer

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120726/NEWS/707269897

Who would have ever thought that "monday" is used as a racial slur? Fortunately the off-duty cop who shouted it at Red Sox player Carl Crawford was fired.

It is deplorable. I don't think things like that routinely happen in Canada.