So good news and bad news. Good news being I just found out today that I got a promotion. Bad news being I HATE formal wear or office attire. I currently have only 1, yes 1 all purpose suit (works perfectly for weddings, funerals and job interviews :p ). But seeing as my new job expects me to dress professionally I can't really get away with wearing the same suit everyday.....and my band t-shirts and jeans won't fly there. and I'm cheap. So where does one find good, cheap-ish office attire....preferrably in the downtown (ottawa) area. By monday. Lol.

Posted via Mobile Device

So good news and bad news. Good news being I just found out today that I got a promotion. Bad news being I HATE formal wear or office attire. I currently have only 1, yes 1 all purpose suit (works perfectly for weddings, funerals and job interviews :p ). But seeing as my new job expects me to dress professionally I can't really get away with wearing the same suit everyday.....and my band t-shirts and jeans won't fly there. and I'm cheap. So where does one find good, cheap-ish office attire....preferrably in the downtown (ottawa) area. By monday. Lol.

Posted via Mobile Device

LE Chateau have some nice stuff sometime

I am sorry I do not know any stores around you. However, Congratulations!!!!!!! You must be so excited ;)

As Malika said, " Le Chateau" they do have nice items.

Congrats again xoxox

Congratulations on the promotion!!

I hate formal wear even more than you do.

Moores seems to have nice stuff that won't break the bank. Also, check out Walmart, you'd be very supprised what you find there.

Salvation Army Thrift Store or Giant Tiger

Sorry, just kidding

But congratulations on the promotion

RG

I'm not a big fan of Giant Tiger, but the Sally Ann is the best and often has amazing stuff for only a couple of dollars.

Heh the ladies are shopping experts :D

Theres usually some good find at Mexx too... try hitting up their outlet store (Merivale)

Good Luck!

You may go for a chain like Moores to expand your kit this week, but do it minimally. Thinking long term, nothing beats quality, so I suggest you really do consider going for better quality stuff: Five-ten years later, it will still look good, but the inexpensive kit won't and can be made of rather coarse fabric...

A nice sport jacket can be combined with different colour trousers, shirts, ties, sweater, etc. to create many looks. Come the evening, with jeans and all, a different look...

The key, at better stores, is to be on the lookout for sales...They do discount heavily, and average size guys (40-44) can find nifty stuff for cheap(er)...

Sparks street has a few nice shops between Elgin and Bank...

Congrats on joining the ranks of the suit-guys!

• Like 2

Is this the look your going for

To refresh memories, Herb Tarlek, WKRP In Cincinnati

wkrp_l2.jpg

or

herb-tarlek.jpg

Does make a fashion statement doesn't it

RG

OMG he is sooooo sexy! LOL

Castle, I don't know your body style nor your age but IMHO Moore's is a bit old man. Mondo is from Montreal and perhaps a bit more chick (but material is kinda cheap)

If you can get to the St. Laurant shopping centre there is a store called "Ernest". They have nice stuff at good prices. (better than Moore's)

Club Monaco is where I get most of my clothes for work. Most of the clothes is fitted as well and if you are a younger guy, it is a better option then Mark's Wearhouse or Moore's.

It is expensive, but if you are a little tight, there is a section in the back that has discounted prices on out of season clothes. Nothing is really out of season there though other then coats, because they have a lot of quality dress shirts, vests, etc. When they say out of season, it really means it just came out a couple months ago, then they have a new line coming out. The discounted prices are usually very good too, you can save about 50% on shirts, pants, etc. You'd be surprised, sometimes it is even cheaper to alternatives like the GAP, Banana Republic, etc.

If you are ever in Toronto, H&M is like the greatest place ever.

• Like 1

A few thoughts...

As a seasoned (read older), but practical guy who has seen a lot of most social/business occasions in the course of a career; the initial investment in a "recently promoted" life style can seem kind of expensive and perhaps onerous. A few cost effective thoughts come to mind:

1. Top quality, double breasted, navy blue sport coat (i.e. Burberry / Hugo Boss, DON'T cheap out here). You can't go wrong. The look is timeless.

2. A few (2-3) light and dark coulored grey slacks (winter weight & summer weight) slacks with a high quality, thin, black (or reversible brown) leather belt

3. HIGH quality silk ties ($50 - $175) don't cheap out & learn the difference between a single and double windsor knot) .

4. Don't economize on the shirts, top quality Egytian cotton is the way to go - yes there is an upfront investment here but it will pay off big time.

5. Knee high socks that don't slide down....

6. At least 2 pairs of nice leather shoes (never wear the same pair every day, the leather needs time to dry out)

Having a high quality, yet flexible and simple wardrobe can be an asset unless your industry links itself to the latest and greatest fashions - in that case disregard everything here in this post and go grab a drink....

Take pride in yourself.

Musings from a guy who loves business, life and loving (OK, Best bums, Boobies, Fripples are my next stop).

G11

Here is what I did: Pick a specific Moores store. Talk to the staff and find the man or woman you most connect with. Tell them what you like and don't like. Get a good starter set of two suits, shirts and ties. They have 2 for 1 a lot. Don't go cheap unless cheap is the look you're going after. When you've been in the position long enough that it doesn't look like HR made a mistake, go back to your person to add to your wardrobe.

• Like 1

. . . the initial investment in a "recently promoted" life style can seem kind of expensive and perhaps onerous. A few cost effective thoughts come to mind:

1. Top quality, double breasted, navy blue sport coat (i.e. Burberry / Hugo Boss, DON'T cheap out here). You can't go wrong. The look is timeless.

2. A few (2-3) light and dark coloured grey slacks (winter weight & summer weight) slacks with a high quality, thin, black (or reversible brown) leather belt

3. HIGH quality silk ties ($50 - $175) don't cheap out & learn the difference between a single and double windsor knot) .

4. Don't economize on the shirts, top quality Egyptian cotton is the way to go - yes there is an upfront investment here but it will pay off big time.

5. Knee high socks that don't slide down....

6. At least 2 pairs of nice leather shoes (never wear the same pair every day, the leather needs time to dry out)

G11

This is what I was going to suggest, too--no question!

I don't know how old you are, or how much you earn, but, frankly, if I went shopping with you, we'd avoid Moore's. I can spot a Moore's dress shirt 100 yards away, and not because it's good quality! They're not. Moore's suits are fine for very young men who obviously can't afford to spend a bit more and/or who are still growing (men often keep growing into their mid-20s). The reason these suits are so inexpensive is that their internal structure is poor. They look great until you wear them. Then they don't hold their shape, they sag, the shoulders crush, they look like they're hanging off-grain because, well, too often they are.

You're in Ottawa? Go to the Rideau Centre, to Harry Rosen. Be frank about your situation, but also be prepared to spend some money and some time, there. Get some help figuring out what cut and style of suit is best for you. Let them give you lots of advice--they know what they're talking about! Buy a suit, two sports jackets, three pairs of trousers, two dress shirts for the suit, three or four more for the sports jackets and trousers.

Go for top-quality shirts, above all else. If you'll be wearing the sports jackets often, buy the best you can possibly afford. You won't be sorry!

When you find the suit you like, buy an extra pair of trousers. That can make the suit wear longer--jackets tend to last longer than trousers do.

Find out when Harry Rosen's sales events are. They have really deep discounts a couple of times a year. You may be able to get a custom-tailored suit for the price of a good off-the-rack suit.

The initial wardrobe cost may be a bit high, but over the long run, you'll pay less for good quality, every time.

Congratulations on the promotion!

• Like 1

i'm not an expert on suits and won't pretend to be as i don't wear them everyday for work, but i don't think i would cheap out on a suit.

I've found this new store on Sussex dr. called Armen and they sell all Italian suits, shirts and ties, good quality and are slim fitting. I think the guy mentioned suits start at 400 and go up from there.

Also, Mexx is or was having a sale for 40% off, so not sure if this is still on but worth looking into. Another good spot.

Banana Republic have decent clothing and the suits look good...sign up online and they have online sales all the time, great way to save.

congrats on the promotion.

cheers.

I have been fortunate in not having had to invest in expensive attire for my work career as usually simply wearing a dress shirt and tie or something casual was very appropriate.

That being said there is a time and place for a dress suit and an initial investment in quality pays off not only in longevity, but as well, simply put, quality looks good. One more example from the real world that you get what you pay for.

I used to work with a guy that I thought was the best dressed man ever. His secret....Value village. He had a knack for finding items that suited his body type.