Another Song Thread!

Guest *o****ea****t

you say white......i say black. none other than black label society - stillborn

And here's a song about getting hurt, by a band with Roy Orbison in it (with some other famous people :) )

The Traveling Wilburys - Congratulations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKShNYsclLU

Well speaking of Traveling, here is Stompin' Tom Connors with a song about where he's been on his travels

I've Been Everywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqiff0WFWvs

RG

Here's a few of the Wilburys (Nelson, Lucky, and Charlie T Wilbury, Jr., I believe) as well as a few other friends.

Neil Young, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhyfn_neil-young-dylan-my-back-pages_music

I'm sorry but i've gotta get in on the earlier posts involving empires! I give you Winnipeg's own,

Propagandhi - Today's Empire's, Tomorrow's Ashes

They have brawn combined with a message, combined with some surprisingly great melodies considering the style of music they play and their overall sense of moral and righteous indignation!

But anyway, that's enough hero worshiping, I should really reply to hfxandy's Post, sorry about that!

Many of the artists that comprised his overall post have recorded some beautiful, and sometimes rockin' acoustic songs. For me, that brings Ben Harper to mind.

Ground On Down -

Edited by Surf_Nazis_Must_Die

I'm sorry but i've gotta get in on the earlier posts involving empires! I give you Winnipeg's own,

Propagandhi - Today's Empire's, Tomorrow's Ashes

They have brawn combined with a message, combined with some surprisingly great melodies considering the style of music they play and their overall sense of moral and righteous indignation!

But anyway, that's enough hero worshiping, I should really rely to hfxandy's Post, sorry about that!

Many of the artists that comprised his overall post have recorded some beautiful, and sometimes rockin' acoustic songs. For me, that brings Ben Harper to mind.

Ground On Down -

Ground On Down = Grinding which = N.E.R.D. - Lapdance ....Get it?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AfMGHTQxVA

Is there a nerdier song than White and Nerdy? I'm sure Phaedrus will find something ;)

Weird Al Yankovic - White and Nerdy

Is there a nerdier song than White and Nerdy? I'm sure Phaedrus will find something ;)

Ooooh, a challenge!

Can't think of any songs off the top of my head (although I'm sure something will arise), but in the meantime, how about a band named after a D&D deity?

Kyuss - Green Machine

Okay to start,

It ain't a song, but as a former Dungeons and Dragons aficionado, I present you with more nerdiness in the form of comedy:

8 Bit D&D - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEka-RIy1Y

Now onto an actual song,

After clicking on Andy's link, The lyrics about kicking jocks asses remined me of the sarcastic ode to jocks:

AFI - High school football hero

Which makes me think of that "cheerleading chick" song, you know...

Yeah, that's it, "Popular", by Nada Surf. First heard it on Xfm, 101.1

When I clicked on Ftn40's link, the second song on the scroll was the following. Which sticks around in my head for a week or so every time I hear it.

Which, of course, namechecks Iron Maiden. I saw them do this live, and they got Bruce Dickinson to join them on stage (along with about half the crowd) for this one.

And returning to our nerdy theme, Iron Maiden have a habit of doing songs about somewhat nerdy topics themselves. Here's one about Dune.

Iron Maiden - To Tame A Land

Well, unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the complete oeuvre of Iron Maiden to pick out another one of their songs with nature themes, but I am rather fond of this Warren Zevon song that SNMDs song reminded me of. Especially the line "Don't the sun look angry through the trees"

Warren Zevon - Desperadoes Under the Eaves

Bear with me as this is rambling and convulted.

Zevon, Nick Drake and Townes Van Zandt are three amazing songwriters that all had fairly serious addictions (which took two of their lives, surprising since Zevon seemed destined to drink himself to death, but died of cancer after refusing to get medical help, much like Van Zandt). All three were fairly poor when they died and all three had psychological issues (depression for Drake and Van Zandt, severe OCD for Zevon). Bob Dylan admired the work of two of them (Zevon and Van Zandt) and all three became much more popular posthumously.

All of that to connect Townes Van Zandt

Waitin' Around to Die

That really made me think of Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, which was of course recorded while he was himself waiting around to die. But, alas, someone (who shall remain nameless :) ) has already posted that not long ago.

So, another Johnny Cash song about waiting around to die: 25 Minutes To Go