Another Song Thread!

Frank Zappa was certainly an interesting character. He wouldn't stay at the same hotel as his band, reportedly because he was terrified that they were using drugs, and he would get busted because of it, despite being clean himself.

Lowell George had a short stint as part of Zappa's backing band, The Mothers of Invention. He wrote the following song and then left to start Little Feat. Depending on which story you believe, Lowell played the song for Zappa and was subsequently fired "because he wrote a song about dope" or he was fired because it was such a good song that he shouldn't waste his talent in Zappa's band.

Little Feat - Willin'

All this talk about jets makes me just want to leave

So I'll leave (jk), on a jet plane of course

Leaving on a Jet Plane-Peter, Paul and Mary

RG

You can't leave, RG - we're sticking with jets. And this time... a local band! (for those of us in Ottawa, anyway)

Jetplanes of Abraham - Expect Limitations

With all these jets, we're going to need some Air Traffic Control (from Nova Scotia)

Air Traffic Control - At Any Cost

I'm back LOL

Without air traffic control you get crashes...well here's a crash, probably air traffic control wouldn't have helped though, maybe a good fire department on the other hand?.................

The Hindenburg Disaster Song (Oh The Humanity)-The Ravenswoodjones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsvNcl5O0c

RG

Wasn't the Hindenberg a Zeppelin???

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

ledzeppelin-1.jpg

Yes, the Hindenberg was a zeppelin

And the Hindenberg blew up and crashed in Lakehurst NJ

And there was someone musical born in Lakehurst NJ

and that is Juice Newton

so Juice Newton-Angel of the Morning

RG

Instead of Meet Me In The Morning how about another meet (meat)

Meat Loaf-Paradise By The Dashboard Lights

Probably a lot of marriages got their start like this song

RG

Buffett.... sounds like Buffay!!!!!

Phoebe Buffay - Smelly Cat

courteney-cox-kudrow-smelly-cat-05.jpg

I'm not sure why, but I always get the bands Stray Cats and Hot Tuna mixed up. Also, what a terrible band name. But this is a pretty great song

Hot Tuna - 99 Year Blues

I've long heard about the fabled Blues Brothers Bar that Aykroyd and Belushi opened during the filming of the movie.

Here's some info I found:

In 1978, Universal Pictures gave Belushi and his buddy Dan Aykroyd money to finance the development of the script for The Blues Brothers. John used his share to lease a suite of offices at 130 Fifth Ave. to be the headquarters of a creative partnership with Danny dubbed Black Rhino Enterprises/Phantom Enterprises. Danny took his portion of the advance to establish-as he once had in Toronto and Chicago-an after-hours haunt in which he, John, and cronies from their scuffling days in the fabled Second City improvisational comedy troupe could "gather their thoughts."

The ancient four-story tenement that would house the Blues Bar was rented in the summer of '78. Aykroyd left its windows painted black as they had been after the former watering hole for factory workers was shut down in the early '70s. Each weekend, following rehearsals and broadcasts of the Saturday Night Live (SNL) TV show they helped launch, they filled the long, narrow room with cohorts, beginning with a bash for the Grateful Dead when they played on the SNL Nov. 11, 1978, program.

The choice menu on the Blues Bar's battered jukebox encompassed R&B, rock, and reggae, from Sam & Dave's "You Don't Know Like I Know" and "Goin' Back to Miami" by Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders, to two rare singles donated by this columnist, "Jah Live" by Bob Marley & the Wailers and Tapper Zukie's "A Message to Pork Eaters." Belushi and Aykroyd usually supplied the booze and Budweiser that fueled the joint, though patrons customarily chipped in to buy more when provisions ran low. The hangout had no stage, no sophisticated sound system, no frills of any sort (beyond the single flower-often a plastic rose-that Aykroyd would place in a vase atop the porcelain ruins of the toilet in the otherwise forbidding ladies' powder room, "Just so we have something nice for the womenfolk").

Belushi and Aykroyd's brother, Peter, cached assorted amps, mikes, and musical instruments in the corner of the room nearest Hudson, and all assembled were usually urged by Belushi to join in on jam sessions. Thus, this columnist wound up keeping the beat behind Boz Scaggs and members of ZZ Top on bygone nights so John could slip out from behind his white pearl Ludwig drum kit to sing or dance. John had been the leader of two bands (the Vibrations and the Ravens) he formed at Wheaton Central High with enduring pal Dick Blasucci (Dick and his brothers on guitars, John on percussion), and he loved the sound of live rock'n'roll played with spirit and a sense of fellowship.

Actors, film directors, musicians, writers, fashion models, family members, friends of friends, curious passersby, and the occasional spillover from the strip club further up Hudson formed the basic clientele. If you could find the place, you were welcome. There was no velvet rope, no gatekeeper, no security, and any locks lingering on the doors were regularly broken anyhow, because Belushi sheared them off with handy cinderblocks whenever he forgot his keys. Unless it was the bitter depths of winter, both the front entrance and the side exit on Dominick were thrown open to the breeze, and the party routinely spilled out onto the public sidewalk. As John quietly reflected at the bar one evening, "I used to tell my father, 'This is America, Dad, you're not in Albania anymore. You made it out and escaped to a free country. Let's enjoy that freedom.'

" On another night, as journalist/screenwriter Mitch Glazer (the "Miami Mitch" who penned the seminal conceptual liner notes on the back jacket of Briefcase Full of Blues) and Keith Richards were ordering beers from volunteer bartender Francis Ford Coppola, an off-duty Con Edison worker and a guileless young couple who'd wandered too far from the West Village began to wonder aloud why no one would allow them to pay for their drinks. Belushi and Aykroyd were equally hospitable about loaning the entire premises to their downtown neighbors. After the Greenwich Village-based Crawdaddy magazine faded out circa 1979, its former staff (including those of us who'd migrated to Rolling Stone) asked to borrow the saloon for a farewell wingding. John-whose first appearance on the cover of a national magazine (Nov. '77) had been for Crawdaddy-and Danny-who'd written ("Heavy Metal Silence," January '78) for the publication-happily obliged.

Here's one of my favourites from the movie

Aretha Franklin - Think

Lol, knee jerk reaction here.

You ended your post with the mention of bob dylan. My instant thought was bob dylan can fuck off. So, in honor of snotty, offensive jerks everywhere I must submit:

Dayglo Abortions - Fuck My Shit Stinks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thKDe-0yhPM&feature=related

With one post, I feel I have successfully dumbed down this entire message board :p