Favourite Autumn Recipes

Autumn is one of my favourite seasons - the evenings turn cool too soon, the trees grow golden, red, rust (the only thing missing is the smell of burning leaves by the curb - damn city bylaws). If sun appears, it is a wane, brief warning of the winter adventure yet to come.

I don a comfortable, slobby cable-knit and stroll through the crunchy leafy parks and sidewalks with my pooch. He enjoys prancing through and chasing the light, colourful flakes that amuse him.

Later at home, the gray skies and blustery breezes inspire me to ignite the fireplace which baths the walls in a warm evening glow. My furry companion curled close by to soak up the heat.

Oh, yes - it's suppertime. What should we have hmmm?

I do enjoy a crockpot recipe or two - what are your favourites (c'mon Etas, help me out here)?

I'm tempted to bring a pot of warm goodness to sample for my next appointment - any takers?

I had a variation of this recently and am looking forward to trying this recipe this weekend.

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2011/10/harvest-pies.html

In the cooler months I also find I start craving heartier dishes and mushroom ragout is one of my favorites, on top of polenta is just that much better IMHO. I stop by the market to pick up some wild mushrooms and use almond milk instead of milk for the polenta, other than that my recipe is pretty much the same.

http://foodandspice.blogspot.com/2007/11/polenta-with-mushroom-ragout.html

Otherwise I also have a lot of soups in the fall; butternut squash, pumpkin, curried lentil, etc.

And I love corned beef and cabbage :)

Ingredients

• 16 new potatoes, quartered
    6 carrots, sliced
    6 pound corned beef brisket
    3 onions, sliced
    3 bay leaves
    10 black peppercorns
    Water to cover
    2 small heads cabbage, wedged or cut to fit

Directions

1. Place potatoes and carrots in bottom of Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Add brisket, onion, bay leaves and peppercorns.
  2. Add enough water to cover. Cover, and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-5 hours. Add cabbage halfway through cooking.

Serves: 10-12

Size: 6-7 quarts

Guest ***nsut***jr

Anything pork!

Slow roasting pork on the BBQ with roasted potatoes, carrots and parsnips with some homemade applesauce on the side. No recipe required

Pork schnitzel with warm german potato salad

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Warm-German-Potato-Salad-13094

Pan fried pork chops with mushrooms and a white wine sauce served with wild and brown rice.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/wild-and-brown-rice-mix.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Loin-with-White-Wine-Mustard-Sauce-100596

Pulled pork shoulder cooked to perfection with BBQ sauce on a Portuguese bun

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Lexington-Pulled-Pork

while watching some college or NFL action

J

Autumn is the time for warm and tasty comfort food...

I will usually try to make at least one or two big batches of cabbage rolls for sharing, eating and freezing.... one of those great meals that hits the spot on a cool fall day.

Huge vats of chili also come to mind... less beans, more meat and add a little punch with a generous dash or three of Tandoori masala in the spice mix... a really nice addition to your traditional chili recipe.

Pumpkin pie, Apple crisp, Turkey soup!!!!!

I love roasted veggies. Lately I've been enjoying roasted sweet potatoes with roasted pears.. I add ginger syrup and cinnamon if I want to mimic a pie. Delish!

Pumpkin Soup

Prep Time:10 Min

Cook Time:20 Min

Ready In:30 Min

Servings: 6

Ingredients

1 medium onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

2 cups sliced peeled potatoes

2 cups canned cooked pumpkin

2 cups milk

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Directions

In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes and pumpkin; cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool. Puree half of the mixture at a time in a blender or food processor until smooth; return all to the pan. Add the milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper; heat through. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream and parsley. Spoon soup into bowls; top each with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with bacon.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-pumpkin-soup/detail.aspx

• Like 2

Shared this on the other thread, but thought I would post it here too!!!

Pumpkin Nog

Ingredients:

- 12 eggs

- 5 cups whole milk

- 750 ml bottle of 10 Cane Rum (or dark rum)

- 1/2 lb superfine sugar

- 1 tbsp vanilla extract

- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon

- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree

- whipped cream

Garnish: fresh grated nutmeg, dollop of whipped cream

Separate eggs. Place egg whites in the refrigerator. In a mixing bowl, beat yolks until creamy. Gradually add half sugar, beating at high speeds until thick. Stir in milk, rum, vanilla, cinnamon, and pumpkin puree. Place in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. Remove egg whites from the refrigerator and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar, beating into stiff peaks. Fold the chilled rum mixture into egg whites. Serve in a martini glass. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and a dollop of whipped cream.

top_10cane_pumpkin.jpg

Ingredients

Directions

Heat the grill to medium.

Place apples in a medium bowl and toss with the oil. Place the apples on the grill, cut-side down and grill until nicely browned. Flip the apples over and continue to grill until nicely browned on skin side. Remove from the grill and allow to cool briefly.

Once they are cool enough to handle, core and cut the apples into wedges. Place the apple wedges into a bowl and toss with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 4 tablespoons light brown sugar and 1/2 stick melted butter.

In another bowl, toss together the remaining melted butter, cinnamon, light brown sugar and the granola.

Place 1 large scoop of ice cream into 4 bowls and top with the apple mixture. Sprinkle the granola mixture over the top of the apple and drizzle with some of the caramel sauce, if using.

Courtesy of Bobby Flay from the Food Network.

• Like 1