Does Anyone Own A Bose Wave Music System?

I'm thinking of buying a Bose Wave Music System with a cd changer for my bedroom. The total cash outlay would be somewhere in the vicinity of $1000.00

I've heard conflicting reports concerning reviews, pretty much everything from people extolling the system's virtues to it being called a piece of junk. I'm just wondering if it's worth the price. Does anyone have any first hand experience with it?

Thanks.

I don't have one but a buddy does. The impression I get it that is a "nice" system at standard listening volumes much like many lower priced systems. However at high volumes it sounds great, very clear.

So if you are not one for listening a lot at high volumes, you may want to look at cheaper alternatives.

I have found it interesting that the few audio trade magazines I've seen they never really compare or mention Bose systems. You might find some reviews online though.

Guest E*******h S******s

I've found with my Bose, I'm able to keep it at a much lower volume than standard stereo systems and still hear every nuance of the music. It seems loud when you are in the same room with the system, but when you go into another room and close the door, you can't hear it at all. That works for me as I live in an apartment and don't wish to disturb my neighbours. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but for what its worth, I love mine.

I know someone who owns a Bose, and beautiful sound. But I too am no audiophile

For me, not worth the price, but with this caveat, I'm not into stereos...rather get a Lowrance High Definition Sonar/GPS, but I'm a fishophile and like new toys for my boat...but I digress

If you like good music, Bose may be for you

See if a stereo store sells them, and you can hear the sound produced before buying (take along a couple of your favorite CD's to test play too)

RG

I would say it would be money well spent.

I have heard and enjoyed a few BOSE products from car stereos, surround sound systems and Bose 901 speakers, only to be rather impressed with there sound quality. I would suggest that you go to a store to sample the sound yourself and take along your favorite CD's. I think you will find it will be a pleasant earful experience, maybe an eargasm lol.

Bose equipment can sound pretty nice, but the way they accomplish the sound is through some sonic "tricks" in terms of modifying the sound in ways that drive audiophiles completely nuts. That why you will likely never see their systems promoted very heavily in high end audio publications.

If you want to consider something that reflects current high end audio in a compact size, I suggest you consider Peachtree Audio (peachtreeaudio.com). They sell both through higher end audio stores and online, and they also sell packages with speakers as well that are also very highly rated. Not sure if you are an iPod fan, but Peachtree offers one of the least expensive true digital iPod interfaces (in other words, through the bottom of the iPod, not the headphones).

A Bose Wave Music System likely will not pass muster with an audiophile. As Kubrickfan says, they use audio trickery to create the illusion of big full sound. Despite Bose claims to the contrary, it is just not physically possible to produce a flat signal response through the entire audio frequency range from a small system, particularly at the bottom (bass) end of the spectrum. The package and audio drivers (speakers) of a Bose Wave System are just too small.

That's not to say that you won't like the system for yourself. But sonically, it just cannot deliver "audiophile" quality sound. This Bose System excels at delivering big sound to large spaces. I know of one car dealership in Ottawa that uses one of these systems to fill their entire showroom with music. I could not believe it when I heard it, but it is true.

While I have never owned the Bose Wave System, I have done in-home side-by-side comparisons of a Bose SoundDock to comparable systems from other manufacturers (e.g. Harman Kardon Go+Play). The SoundDock is a portable music system for an iPod. According to Bose it uses the same "waveguide" technology as the Bose Wave system you're considering. In my A-to-B tests, the Bose was disappointing, particularly with bass quality. While it delivered very clear high and bright mid ranges, I found it's bass delivery weak and almost non-existent when compared to other products. I am very fussy about bass sound. I like it full and extended, yet punchy and tight. I do not like boomy bass, which is common in smaller over-driven systems. The SoundDock sounded "nice" on it's own, but really paled when I heard it compared to a superior designed (and incidentally, less expensive) product.

Such things are very subjective and you may love the Bose system. I suggest you hear it for yourself and if you are able, do your own side-by-side comparisons.

Incidentally, I am not biased against Bose products. I own a couple of their products for other applications and very much enjoy them. But personally, for $1000, I think you can get a much better all-in-one system than the Bose Wave. Just MHO.

I know that it can be hard to find Boss products in stores so that you can listen to them in person, but if you live in or near Ottawa Boss is opening a store in the Rideau Centre.

There are many better products that are less expensive on the market. First of all... Do you still use CD's? It's a digital age and that's a dead end storage format, everything is going download. I play my music from my labtop using apple express and my music plays remotely in whatever speakers I choose. If you have a large cd collection start burning them to your laptop and skip buying a cd playing unit. But If you want something small try Tivoli audio, they make a great product too

Here's the tivoli all in one system:

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/hi-fi-systems.html/

Great example of a superior alternative to the Bose Wave. Tivoli makes great products. Nice sound. Very elegant. In Ottawa, you can see them at PlanetofSound on Bank St. Also in Toronto btw.

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/m/Tivoli-Audio

Tivoli is a good idea and definitely worth a listen. I think they were founded by the same guys that started Cambridge Sound Works and go for the same "value proposition" marketing, but more upscale than Combridge Sound Works. I forgotm, but I have a basic Tivoli table radio on my desk at work.

Just give them a listen. Peachtree will have a money back guarantee I'm sure, but that's a larger commitment (time and money). Its all about what you are after "sonically."

Yes, the main reason I was considering a wave system is that I have an extensive cd collection, and I like the system's sleek appearance and small footprint.

There are many better products that are less expensive on the market. First of all... Do you still use CD's? It's a digital age and that's a dead end storage format, everything is going download. I play my music from my labtop using apple express and my music plays remotely in whatever speakers I choose. If you have a large cd collection start burning them to your laptop and skip buying a cd playing unit. But If you want something small try Tivoli audio, they make a great product too

When will they stop playing those endless commercials on CBC Newsworld?

That and no-medical health insurance. Sheesh!

And stair-climbers.

Damn it Janet, I just want the news, not constant reminders of my dwindling number

of days left on this damned planet!

Heaven is an FKK club anyway.

CBC sold out...I'm dialing in Al Jazeera from now on!

Station-to-Station, bewlayb, nice avatar. Bowie's cocaine period, no?

Edited by oldblueeyes
slightly hung over yet again

I'm thinking of buying a Bose Wave Music System with a cd changer for my bedroom. The total cash outlay would be somewhere in the vicinity of $1000.00

I've heard conflicting reports concerning reviews, pretty much everything from people extolling the system's virtues to it being called a piece of junk. I'm just wondering if it's worth the price. Does anyone have any first hand experience with it?

Thanks.

A friend of mine has one I think it sounds wonderful almost like you are at a concert,if I din't live in a place with "paper" walls I would get one myself I would score it 8of 10, just my opinion,Cristy

Yes, the main reason I was considering a wave system is that I have an extensive cd collection, and I like the system's sleek appearance and small footprint.

I find for stand alone the tivoli system is really good. The sound is great and it's a compact System that offers more options than the Bose for about 1/2 the price. I've owned one for years and have found it to be a very good performer. The range of sound is great, good clear bass and nice sounding high end.

However for a true audiofile experience you do need dedicated equipment. At home i use a custom made 2 channel tube amp powering two monitor audio gold speaker towers. I have this running with both a static and power preamplifier. My power preamp is made by exposure and it adds some nice volume and a little extra power. The static preamp is just a cheap model i picked up on eBay but it works really nicely when I only want to hear the tube amp. Tube amp was custom built by a friend of mine who is an electronic wiz, it runs about a $1000 but performs as good as any macintosh equipment that will run you easily 8k or more.

However for a true audiofile experience you do need dedicated equipment. At home i use a custom made 2 channel tube amp powering two monitor audio gold speaker towers. I have this running with both a static and power preamplifier. My power preamp is made by exposure and it adds some nice volume and a little extra power. The static preamp is just a cheap model i picked up on eBay but it works really nicely when I only want to hear the tube amp. Tube amp was custom built by a friend of mine who is an electronic wiz, it runs about a $1000 but performs as good as any macintosh equipment that will run you easily 8k or more.

I used to have a large system as well with the huge Cerwin Vega Speakers etc, but I've gotten away from that, at least in part due to the space requirement, annoying ugly cables and so forth. Now I just want something that sounds good, looks good and doesn't take up a lot of room.

it's all hype buddy; spoke to a few people in the know and they confirmed this; all hype, producty average...they figure by mass publicity a lot will bite...and for what I see, it does work...a rip-off!!

I used to have a large system as well with the huge Cerwin Vega Speakers etc, but I've gotten away from that, at least in part due to the space requirement, annoying ugly cables and so forth. Now I just want something that sounds good, looks good and doesn't take up a lot of room.

Well if looks are important then the boss system is off the table. Perhaps I'm beating the same drum but tivoli wins in my book for both quality and looks. The design is awesome, it screams hi-fi.

You should also check out Fender audio.

They have great amplifiers. I have a Fender passport. I have friends who work in bands and they all own, rent and swear by fender audio systems.

*http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=fenderaudio

You should also check out Fender audio.

They have great amplifiers. I have a Fender passport. I have friends who work in bands and they all own, rent and swear by fender audio systems.

*http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=fenderaudio

Yeah this is a good PA but our friend is looking for a stereo system. Funny I have a passport that i use for work functions, it is indeed a great little portable PA

This is a decision you have got to make for yourself. If you like the sound of the Bose, buy it. You are probably not going to be doing any critical listening in your bedroom anyways where projecting a soundstage is important or anything like that. Just enjoy the music.

A more modern solution would probably include an ipod interface or an Apple airport or other wifi device to plug into your system to play music. That way, you could include your entire collection and not changes CDs once.

A more modern solution would probably include an ipod interface or an Apple airport or other wifi device to plug into your system to play music. That way, you could include your entire collection and not changes CDs once.

There will now be a short pause for a thread hijack while we disparage the lossiness of the mp3 encoding :)

There will now be a short pause for a thread hijack while we disparage the lossiness of the mp3 encoding :)

I have no response here other than laughter! Thanks, you made my day Phaedrus!