Contact Email Addresses

Maybe we need to look at some PDA/CELL PHONE capabilities here in the near future... the WiMAX is a great idea but I have had problems with it... it is slightly faster then dial-up in most area's around here... (Like Satellite speeds) but if I go right near the tower it is about 1/2 the speed of high speed and that is alright.

Ok, I added a new mod that should detect your PDA or CELL PHONE BROWSER and give you a very basic version of cerb (No java and no flash so the chat will not work and none of the fancy stuff but the basics should work like read and post in the discussions) now my palm is dead so I have not even tested this myself with a PDA but I did a emulation and it worked pretty good. As I receive feedback I will tweak it.

Now it does not detect Iphones (it can but I set it to display the regular site as the iphone can run java apps as far as I know as it's a version of safari that runs the web browser) - let me know if any of you Iphone guys pefer a low bandwith and I can switch it if needed.

Feedback is important here so let me know if you have any issues.

Nice work MOD - looks like you been busy. I'm sure the guys on here that play with the new generation of wireless devices will appreciate your efforts.

kudos!!

oow I do like the basic idea behind this, wonder if a wondering proxy could be incorporated to move the hits from one site to another to fool the traffic filter?each time you initiate a search or launch a new window it hits a different IP and web site? All triggered through the same VPN session hmmm. And is there a market for this kind of surfing?

Sorry dummpy - missed this initially.

There is a feature within the ironkey to select the path to get to a particular destination. I believe there is a 'network monitor' feature which can show the current path, and allow you to chose another. So - the destination site will think you are a different user.

Also be careful with Black berry as any enterprise enabled device is going through the corporate exchange server, and all emails are backed-up and stored by the organization. Anyone wants to do an audit on your correspondence and viola. Txt messages are safe or email accounts from the carrier or your own POP3 account synced wireless are fine.

I have my personal Blackberry, and I always carry my own Laptop to work and just for insurance I am the company IT guy LOL, If this company is tracking it I know it first...

I do not have the enterprise network set up on the BB it is mine alone but if I use my BB Addy for hobby dose the Blackberry servers log/keep/what ever these emails?or do they just pass through as data flow?

Loki318

I have surfed here with my BB (Storm) It will do java but has has been mentioned the screen is too small, and I have other issues with the surfing in it ... so it is basically communication, email txt phone etc

I will try the new mod and let you know if there is any difference ..... will it make my screen bigger JK :)

Ok, I added a new mod that should detect your PDA or CELL PHONE BROWSER and give you a very basic version of cerb (No java and no flash so the chat will not work and none of the fancy stuff but the basics should work like read and post in the discussions) now my palm is dead so I have not even tested this myself with a PDA but I did a emulation and it worked pretty good. As I receive feedback I will tweak it.

Now it does not detect Iphones (it can but I set it to display the regular site as the iphone can run java apps as far as I know as it's a version of safari that runs the web browser) - let me know if any of you Iphone guys pefer a low bandwith and I can switch it if needed.

Feedback is important here so let me know if you have any issues.

True enough, but have care, the employer, as the owner of the device and service may request the isp to provide an activity summary... that could be very embarassing...

Actually, if you setup a personal account through your carrier to your BlackBerry as an alternate email address, sending and receiving email through that account should bypass the corporate infrastructure. Plus, if you change your default web browser to 'Internet Browser' (that's what it's called on Rogers anyway but pick one that's not 'BlackBerry Browser') then the web traffic also does not go through your corporate servers.

I have been using several different BlackBerry devices (8700, 8800 and now Bold) since I joined CERB and have found that my employer monitors any traffic going in/out through the BB Browser. I'm told that the ability to block/filter browser traffic is a standard feature on any BES server They block a number of sites. I *have* found that if I download the Opera mobile browser (mini.opera.com) then I can get to sites such as CERB that I couldn't normally get to. My initial guess is that my employer has enabled the standard settings on the BES server and hasn't bothered to enable traffic filtering on any 3rd party (non-BlackBerry) browsers such as Opera or Bolt.

There you go. My 2 cents....

I'll try not to use many technical terms - as long as you are using a BB service from the telephone company, your data (email and web) goes through RIM's BB network before hitting the 'internet'. This is partially the reason when the BB outage occurred there was lost emails. Since RIM does not retain copies of these email on their servers there was no way to send emails already in the system after the RIM network was fixed and BB users needed to resend themselves.

You didn't ask but I'll volunteer this:

When you disable the BB service on the device and switch to Wi-Fi, this never hits the RIM network.

When you use BB messaging - the initial connection does go through the RIM network in order for the connection to your chat buddy's BB to be set up. Once the setup is done, the chat is between both BBs -are those chats recorded?, can't say as I'm not on RIM's payroll and if I were I won't legally be allowed to comment. ;-)

I have my personal Blackberry, and I always carry my own Laptop to work and just for insurance I am the company IT guy LOL, If this company is tracking it I know it first...

I do not have the enterprise network set up on the BB it is mine alone but if I use my BB Addy for hobby dose the Blackberry servers log/keep/what ever these emails?or do they just pass through as data flow?

Loki318

Thank you Seymour

That is as i expected and is well within my comfort zone, nothing in this hobby is totally Risk free :)

I dont use BB messaging yet but the TXT/SMS package is with the required phone package and the same as txt on a regular cell phone.

Loki

I'll try not to use many technical terms - as long as you are using a BB service from the telephone company, your data (email and web) goes through RIM's BB network before hitting the 'internet'. This is partially the reason when the BB outage occurred there was lost emails. Since RIM does not retain copies of these email on their servers there was no way to send emails already in the system after the RIM network was fixed and BB users needed to resend themselves.

You didn't ask but I'll volunteer this:

When you disable the BB service on the device and switch to Wi-Fi, this never hits the RIM network.

When you use BB messaging - the initial connection does go through the RIM network in order for the connection to your chat buddy's BB to be set up. Once the setup is done, the chat is between both BBs -are those chats recorded?, can't say as I'm not on RIM's payroll and if I were I won't legally be allowed to comment. ;-)

There are 4 different browsers on your BlackBerry depending on what service and model you have.

1. BlackBerry Browser - this is available if you are connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (generally only if you are at a company where you get corporate email). When using this browser, all the data and traffic goes through your corporate network and can be visible by your IT department (even if you are on a https site in some cases). This is not a private browser to use. (technically the data also goes over RIM's infrastructure but they CANNOT see the data as it's encrypted)

2. Internet Browser - this is available to almost anyone (unless it's disabled by your employer if they are providing the BlackBerry). Data and traffic from this browser goes through RIM's infrastructure however this is still pretty secure as the only way that data would realistically be available to anyone is if there was a warrant issued to the government that allowed them to monitor you (like a warrant allowing them to tap your phones). Outside of that, it's very secure as RIM's business would crumble if it became insecure.

3. WAP Browser - this is available on many carriers. It's the same method of browsing that is used on normal cell phones. The data goes through the carrier's servers and is not encrypted (or not very well). This is more private than the BlackBerry Browser but less private than the Internet Browser.

4. WiFi Browser - this browser is available if you have a BlackBerry with WiFi on it (8120, 8320, 8820, 9000/BOLD, 8220/Pearl Flip, Curve 8900). Data and traffic on this browser acts like you are using your BlackBerry like a laptop. If doe snot go over the carrier or RIM's or your company's servers. The data goes through whatever WiFi access point you're connected to (home, Starbucks, Hotel, etc.). This is the most private way of browsing the web via your BlackBerry.

You can choose which browser to use by following these steps:

1. Open your default browser

2. Click the menu button

3. Options

4. General Properties

5. Select the default browser from the drop-down at the top. If you do not see one of the above browsers in this list then you do not have it available to you.

6. Save the options

7. Exit the browser

8. Re-open the browser

You are now in the new browser you selected.

The annoying part is having to go do that whenever you want to switch browsers but I guess that's the price you pay for privacy.