For Bacon Lovers

Guest ChantalSummers

Mmmm bacon. Yes I love it. I indulge sparingly. I make these amazing bacon and chocolate chip cookies from time to time.

IMG_1494.jpg

Well if you are going to go that route!

no-hope-no-cash-no-jobs.jpg

Additional Comments:

And also, Kevin Bacon out of bacon!

Kevin-Bacon-Made-Out-Of-Bacon.jpg

Edited by thedriver

Here's how I cook 3 packs of bacon a week...

1) With a sharp knife, trim as much fat from bacon as you can (after buying meatiest (low salt) pack at store. Thick cut preferred. Slice-able slab bacon is good too).

2) Pre-heat oven to 380.

3) Line large cookie tray with tin foil.

4) Lay out bacon strip-by-strip with a little over-lapping.

5) Crack fresh pepper over bacon to taste. I like a decent amount.

6) Put in pre-heated oven and cook for 15 mins before flipping. Use thongs to flip by sliding opened thongs under one side of the bacon, close thongs, and then flip the whole 'cooked-together' piece of bacon over. Whereby it was over-lapped a little, and cooking for 15 mins, it usually sticks together decently well enough to flip it all at once. If not, flip all strips accordingly.

7) Drizzle maple syrup over flipped bacon and spread thinly across all strips with back part of thong (no need to dirty a spoon or whatever - just something else to clean.) Don't leave pools of maple syrup.

8 ) Cook for another 7-15 minutes depending on desired crispiness and stove heating patterns.

9) Line large plate with paper towel.

10) Removed cooked bacon from oven (and turn off stove).

11) Again, most times in one cooked-together piece, remove bacon and put pepper side down on paper towel.

12) Dab top side of bacon with piece of paper towel to remove built-up grease. Maple syrup may be a little sticky, but not bad.

13) Pull cooked fat away from all around the meat of bacon and throw away (ex: strings of fat which holds meat together vs. corners of fat chopped off in step 1.

14) Eat 'fat-free' maple peppered bacon and enjoy with the least amount of fat and guilt possible!

Takes about 1 hour to do a pack this way (including .1/2 hr cooking time).

(I used to use an iron frying pan, but it was more labourious and dirty (grease splattering everywhere) than the oven method. As well, the strips curled in the pan vs. they stay flat and just shrink-up some in the oven.)

Great with maple beans, sammiches, hot dogs and in pancakes, etc!

Kids love it, and they aren't gobbling down bacon fat.

[PS: With using tin foil, just let the left-over liquid fat coagulate and then fold up and throw-away. Saves a lot of cleaning, with no need to maintain a bacon fat jar, nor pour it down the drain :-) If no holes in the tin foil, there won't be any grease left in the cookie sheet. Sometimes a tiny hole can let a little fat dirty the sheet, but easy to scrub off with hot water and soap. Wash thongs now in prep for next round of bacon ;-) ]

:) I Love Bacon! :D ...and Alts ;) hehe

• Like 1

Ohhhhh bacon. You are only a few days from rejoining your lover. That's right... in 9 short days I am removing the obstacle that is keeping us apart. I thought my gallbladder could see past its petty desire to control my life... but no. It stood between me and my true love. Do you see what I am doing for you bacon??? Do you see??? I am having an internal organ removed just to be reunited with you. THAT'S LOVE dammit. TRUE LOVE. I hope you have been faithful, bacon. I did not betray you. I abstained from all artificial and simulated fat free bacon products while we were apart. I know that you have been seeing others... and I am okay with that. We can be polyamorous with you seeing others. I sometimes see other foods too. But dammit you have to believe me when I tell you that I love you.

you-had-me-at-bacon.jpg

• Like 2

Guest c**io**m7

happy endings to stories of true love always bring a tear to my eye.

Ohhhhh bacon. You are only a few days from rejoining your lover. That's right... in 9 short days I am removing the obstacle that is keeping us apart. I thought my gallbladder could see past its petty desire to control my life... but no. It stood between me and my true love. Do you see what I am doing for you bacon??? Do you see??? I am having an internal organ removed just to be reunited with you. THAT'S LOVE dammit. TRUE LOVE. I hope you have been faithful, bacon. I did not betray you. I abstained from all artificial and simulated fat free bacon products while we were apart. I know that you have been seeing others... and I am okay with that. We can be polyamorous with you seeing others. I sometimes see other foods too. But dammit you have to believe me when I tell you that I love you.

you-had-me-at-bacon.jpg

Old Dog, I am immensely gratified to know that you'll be reunited with your one true love in the near future.

However, to enjoy it properly, I think you need to get rid of your old plates and bowls and get some new ones. You know you want to....