Favourite Television Shows...

From same era I don't think anyone's mentioned Barney Miller. A police comedy about NYPD detectives. I can't forget the episode where they all unknowingly eat a box of pot brownies from the evidence locker.

Absolutely, a Comedy Classic IMO.

Another great comedy show: Taxi

It was a good one, and now that you've mentioned it, I can't stop whistling the taxi theme tune.

Hell on Wheels, in its second season. Deadwood style western, not quite as good as, but very cool nonetheless.

I only watch a few reality shows but two that I really like are

Hoarders

Call of the Wildman

Tonight on Hoarders a woman was living in a garbage filled hovel which included 100's of plastic jugs filled with pee and poop. She and her mother had started saving their bodily waste rather than get the toilet repaired. The house was crawling with rodents and bugs, and she was eating shit. Yummy

Additional Comments:

Just noticed I've listed Call of the Wildman two different times. I must really like that show, or else I'm senile.

A lot of people seem very proud to say "I never watch television". If that is so, then they are missing some of the best produced shows I have ever seen - and I am including movies in that statement. There are perhaps fewer shows on network TV that I watch regularly but on the higher channels:

Sons of Anarchy

Homeland

Game of Thrones

Breaking Bad

Justified

Mad Men

One big advantage that TV has over movies is the luxury of time. Character and plot can be developed over many hours rather than a maximum of two. There is not the same need to appeal to as huge an audience either. This means that the sharper edges of the writing do not need to be filed off in order to pull in as large and faceless a crowd as possible.

I love TV (and movies, books, theatre, etc.). People who turn down their nose at such excellent work are either just snobs or have not actually looked at these shows.