I am just getting ready to head off by car from points East to Ottawa. I shall be spending a night in Levis, and I would love to know if there is a fast, efficient way to drive from Quebec City to Ottawa and bypass going right through Montreal.

If you have a magic route, please feel free to post here or PM me.

I love Montreal, and know both Routes 20 and 40 to get through it, but there is ALWAYS construction. Help please. Thanks :)

The best you can hope for is to go through Montreal during off peak hours...say between 11am and 2pm. The only good news I have for you is that they usually hold their 'pothole festival' in the spring. This time of year, you should be good. Have a safe trip, See you Thursday!!

Obe way to avoid the island would be to take the 40, but getting out at Lachemais, to take the 640 west until you hit the 15 - north until you find the 50/148 west exit. From there, you can come back on the 417 towards Ottawa through Grenville/Hawksberry (due south for a few minutes).

The 50 turns into 148 past that but it remains somewhat scenic until they complete highway 50 on the Quebec side.

That would be my best option at this point.

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I see it. Thank you. I may have my alternate route! Much appreciated.

Obe way to avoid the island would be to take the 40, but getting out at Lachemais, to take the 640 west until you hit the 15 - north until you find the 50/148 west exit. From there, you can come back on the 417 towards Ottawa through Grenville/Hawksberry (due south for a few minutes).

The 50 turns into 148 past that but it remains somewhat scenic until they complete highway 50 on the Quebec side.

Sent using Tapatalk

I would use the same route if i wanted to avoid Mtl. Keep in mind that 640 and 15 also do get very busy at peak hours way past the 50/148 exit at Mirabelle.

Sent using Tapatalk

Sent using Tapatalk

The 50 is now open up to Montebello if I'm not mistaken, but I would remain on the 417(Ontario side highway) So from Quebec city take the 20 until Montreal and then get on the 40 west which will take you to 417 to Ottawa. Hope you travel before or after rush hours through Montreal.

Mrrnice2,

If I were you, I'd follow mistert's suggestion, and after Mirabel look for Grenville to get to the 417, and then on to DT Ottawa, an hour or so later, lol!

When you get to Qc city, cross the Laporte Bridge (10 kms after Levis) and aim for highway 40, best way to get to 640, then 15, then 50 IMirabel Airport, RIP), then Grenville, etc.

It should be easy to draw the trip using google maps.

Have a safe journey and a great time in Ottawa.

toine

Sent using Tapatalk

I'd take MisterT's suggestion as well. Just to add to this, highway 50 is complete to Montebello, then the 148, then back on to the 50 at Thurso. I've been driving this route almost weekly for the last year and find it pretty quick.

I have also done the 50 to Hawkesbury, then crossing back to Ontario for the 417/40. They take almost the same amout of time. If I'm going to Laval, I stay on the 50. If I'm going downtown, I cross at Hawkesbury.

Having driven the ride to Halifax many times, my preferred route is the 40 to the tunnel then the 20. I prefer the south side of the river to the northside (20 vs 40).

Be aware, there is a bunch of construction at the 15/40 junction.

Safe trip.

Great directional suggestions by all, and I liked Emma's suggestion too she is a smart lady :) drive safely my friend!

Don't know the best routes, that's why I got a TomTom...it has navigated me through the downtowns of some big cities I don't know, with no problems

It would have solved your travel problems for you

Have a safe trip

RG

Wow. Ask and Ye Shall Receive!

Thanks for the help. It looks as though mistert supplied the key and with some fine tuning from others and Google maps to supplement, the route is set.

Ottawa , here I come.

Thanks again.

Now, Ms Alexandra. It seems to me that I DO owe you dinner don't I. Perhaps you might watch for a PM shortly. Timing is everything. :)

I am reviving this thread in which directions for this trip were last updated in May of 2012.

Bottom line is that I would prefer to get from Quebec City to the Ontario border without having to cross onto the Island of Montreal.

It appears as if there is a Rte 30 that I might use on my way up to get to Kingston. The last time that I used it there was still a great deal of construction and I had to use 138 and 201 to eventually get to Hwy 20 and eventually the 401. Is that still accurate?

Coming back East on this next trip I expect that I will be leaving from Ottawa. After you cross at Grenville, Hawkesbury is Hwy 50 complete now right through to 15 and from there I could take 640 and 40 and stay north of the river all the way to Quebec City?

Amy advice based on experience is welcome.

I see it all on Google Maps but don't know how updated they keep them.

Thanks again.

MN2

Highway 50 is now complete. I took it recently.

Hello mistert, I do not want to contradict you, far from it, but checking up the Transport Québec website, I do not see any press release regarding the completion of the Thurso-Papineauville part of the highway. So, what's up?

Looking forward to using it. I too find it a convenient way to sidestep going through the island.

Best,

toine

Hello mistert, I do not want to contradict you, far from it, but checking up the Transport Québec website, I do not see any press release regarding the completion of the Thurso-Papineauville part of the highway. So, what's up?

Looking forward to using it. I too find it a convenient way to sidestep going through the island.

Best,

toine

Frankly, i drive the Ottawa - Montreal roads (both on the Quebec and Ontario side) on autopilot, and made detours for a few pit stops between Thurso and Papineauville along the 148. I didnt find an official press release either, but best bet is to take a look at this site from Transport Quebec as it gives status for the quebec roads.

I AM sure that more sections of the 50 are built and in use since i last used it last spring.

There is still LOTS of construction north of Montreal, on the 15 and 640 highways, as anywhere around or on montreal.

Hi there,

during Labour Day week-end, there was still an uncompleted stretch of about 15km.

To mrrnice2,

the key thing to recall is that, overall, it's almost completed and a rather efficient way to sidestep the island. And by the time you drive up here, it just may be completed.

Best,

toine

• Like 1

during Labour Day week-end, there was still an uncompleted stretch of about 15km.

Yes, that's my recollection too.

To mrrnice2,

the key thing to recall is that, overall, it's almost completed and a rather efficient way to sidestep the island. And by the time you drive up here, it just may be completed.

Yep. I drove from Ottawa to Quebec on the Thursday before Labor Day, and my minimum speed through Montreal was 60-ish... even with construction. Apparently there was an hour-long jam on the 40 at the time. I know what I prefer :)