the "Total Funk" syndrome

this post's going to be something of a downer and for that I apologize. Every once in a while I fall into a total funk. It's someewhere between having absolutely no energy to do anything and yet at the same time feeling very restless. Feeling really down on myself and on life in general. Somewhere between feeling impatient, pissed off and depressed....all the time! There's no cause or trigger for this that I can determine and it usually just happens. Basically it's that "waking up on the wrong side of the bed" feeling but it lasts a couple weeks and then passes. I've fallen into that same Total Funk this week.

I know a lot of people will say "Have great sex! That should cheer you up!". But considering my current lifestyle (seeing SP's) and the time of year it is I simply cannot afford to. And even if I could I don't think that would help and would probably just reinforce the whole "feeling down on myself" feeling. I know it shouldn't but I know myself and it would.

There is a point to this self-pity post...does anyone else fall into these total funks? If so what do you do to fix it? I usually just have to ride it out but it's no fun at all.

Thanks for listening everyone!

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 2

I experience exactly what you describe, about four times a year. It's not fun. I went to see my doctor and have now found a medication that helps. It doesn't take it away, but it does smooth out the edges. The brain is a complex organ and biochemically, it needs help sometimes.

I would have a chat with a doc - we needn't just ride it out.

Good luck, my friend. And go easy on yourself.

Been there, done that.

My best amateur psychologist (I am also an amateur detective, superhero and bon vivant) says to isolate the one main issue that is causing you grief and deal with that specific issue. Everything else will fall away.

I don't do meds - I would rather feel down than not feel anything at all - but that is just me. I did discover though that when I confronted the issue that was the central point of my despair, none of the other stuff mattered. It was much easier to keep the eyes on the prize and in the end, when you have dealt with the main issue, that boulder that is sitting on the middle of your chest will disappear.

Guest S**a*Q

HEXmas adds a huge downer to people. Added stress with money or work time cause people take holidays. Or even the fact that you might be far from family and alone every year. The holidays are rough. *HUGS* (I'm a holiday-hater as well.) Hopefully this will pass quickly. xo

We all get down like this from time to time. If it is not long lasting, then probably normal. But if it a lingering effect, then you may need to ask yourself questions. Like: Is there something in your life that does not fit? Something missing? Are your ducks in order? What changes have you had, or not had? Also, do you know that men have a "PMS" type thing once a month like us women. You will have a drop in testosterone once a month, that make you feel out of sorts in many ways.

For me when I feel like this I find if I go tan just for 8 min, it really does give me a boost and I feel better for the day or 2. You consider D-drops as well for longer lasting effects.

Good luck, and let us know what you do and how did it make you feel so that we can also learn from your experience:) Taker easy love!

It would probably be the rare person who does not occassionally experience exactly what it is that you are referring to. I am sure that each of us copes with it in a different manner and what works for one may not be at all useful for a different individual.

I know that for myself what tends to work best is to first of all recognize that I am in 'that' funk as you so well describe, and then I will let myself wallow for a bit before having the "talk" with myself.

The talk consists of looking at and listing in my mind all of the positives that I have going for me, some of the 'worse' things that could be, recognizing that there are others with far greater trials that they have to deal with than I do myself, and eventually I come to an "It's all OK' frame of mind.

Reading some threads on Cerb also does help me a lot - some of the positivity threads, different perspective threads and hey, even asking for that Hug that is always available from the group thread by that name.

In one huge issue for me, my doctor has suggested a mild anti-depressant, but me being me, and maybe it's a guy thing, I choose not do do that. I do not ever want to mask reality and I want to confront and deal with things on my own. That is probably NOT good advice.

Take care my friend, and I expect that your support here will help a great deal.

It is not a downer at all Castle.... It is a common thing and many years I have had the same feeling particularily the couple weeks coming up to Xmas day. It can be a stressful time as well as a time when you think of family that is a distance away that you can't see.....or think of family and friends who have suffered a loss at this time of year.

I have always found talking about it helps so good post Castle......you have friends here on Cerb.

I hope that this funk leaves as quickly as it came. I'll be thinking of you in this time f funk. xoxo Much Love and kisses

Maybe our "funks" keep us honest and humble, and remind us that we really need to be receptive to the feedback of others around us.

I don't get in a funk so much over any time of year, but every time I feel like I'm "coming down with something," I get a strong feeling that "nobody loves me." It might not be true, but maybe it's not such a bad thing as it reminds me that I still need to earn the love and respect of others, and to be sensitive to their feelings.

As difficult as this might be to experience, perhaps it makes us better people.

Let thy food be thy medicine!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv_90XHst9Gqe0sUPpsGpYtd0I1zwyauxOEfrmMbJvNIEU3vBiWA

http://www.iherb.com/Navitas-Naturals-Cacao-Powder-Raw-Chocolate-Powder-16-oz-454-g/8254?at=1

read the reviews...go raw unprocessed

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_zToQO3D3w5R8Be4E3O39AT06UODYLaM-6eMvsC17IzM8JeVRHg

Lots of dem dere omeggy trees will help ya too, bye!

Hiking in the wilds of South America while chewing the coca leaf would help too!

72498451_6019f02a6a_b.jpg

This indeed is on my bucketlist!

If you're a drinker, don't touch the booze. It just amplifies your current mood, and that would make matters worse of course.

I don't know if a funk or not, but I know once the clocks go back, and it gets dark early...just hate it. It's night time by the time I get home from work, and I feel kinda lethargic. And near the end of January I'm just in a winter rut

Don't know if it's the thought of my boat all tarped up and put away or what

but when spring rolls around I'm a happy boy

RG

I just try to avoid particularly sad/negative things (certain types of music, movies, people, etc.) and it passes in a couple of days. I also don't have a specific trigger, it's seemingly random. I am normally tired and have little energy but when I get into a "funk" my normal optimism and joy just isn't there. Good luck figuring something out :)

• Like 1

We all get in to a funk once in a while Castle. It's when that funk goes on for long periods of time when it goes from just being a funk, to being depression. The fact you are talking about it shows you are trying to solve the issue, rather than let it continue. This will help you turn that corner to feeling better once again. :)

Just a quick comment re: meds.... When people actually need meds (biochemically), they don't make them feel "nothing". I hear that a lot and it kind of bugs me. The idea that people who take medication are simply zombies walking around feeling nothing is far from the truth. When I need to take meds, what it does is make me feel what other people normally feel... It doesn't make me feel nothing.

Just my 2 cents.