I'm not really an NFL fan (or football for that matter), but I've been very interested in all the attention surrounding Tim Tebow. Apparently his unorthodox style and overt religous beliefs have really polarized sports fans. Either you love/admire him or you despise him. There seems to be no middle. I've heard it said that he lacks an NFL quaterback's skill set, yet he's winning games isn't he? And while I am far from a religous type, and would roll my eyes if I hear the quaterback thanking a Higher Power for completing a touchdown pass, isn't that better than some of the other things professional football players are getting caught doing lately (drugs, dog fights, sexual asault, e-mailing obscene pics to cheerleaders, etc.). I read a story on him earlier today on a sports site that prompted thousands of responses, many of them venomous. So I was wondering if anyone here could clarify the situation for me.

Tim Tebow is a phony f*@K. To pray to God for a victory in a sports game is outrageous. He uses religion as a tool to promote himself, it's offensive.

Guest b***y1**4

Personally I don't find Tebow offensive. I think he is genuine and he has been that way ever since his days in college. He has a good heart...does a lot of good things with bringing sick or underprivileged kids to games and spends tons of time with them.

In terms of him winning, yes the Broncos are winning games, but I don't think he will last long as an NFL QB. Doesn't have the passing accuracy to continue to be a starting QB. Could be wrong, but I think he will be replaced.

In terms of him winning, yes the Broncos are winning games, but I don't think he will last long as an NFL QB. Doesn't have the passing accuracy to continue to be a starting QB. Could be wrong, but I think he will be replaced.

This we will agree on.

tim tebow is a great athlete but not a good quarterback.he would be better off as a wide receiver than a quarterback. he doesn't have the pass throwing accuracy, can't read a defense and can't complete 50% of is passes. the broncos won more because of the defense not allowing too much point.

I find the whole Tebow thing funny. He was drafted by former management, new management was stuck with him but not really liking it. But fans fell easy for Tebow's schtick and clamored for him to play. The team played him hoping to show everyone he really sucks as a QB but the team wins even though he really did suck. For 3.5 quarters he would be horrible but then the last 7.5 minutes of the game he would somehow get better and the team would win. The fact that it was the defense keeping the game close for him to work his "miracles" was lost on his fans.

Since they dropped the last 3 games of the season and he looked awful they should be able to bring in another more viable QB without the fans getting too restless. Then he can play some sort of H-back position for which he is better suited.

UNLESS he does well in the playoffs against the Steelers. Then they have the same old problem. Having to run a college style offense in the NFL to accommodate some yokel isn't a long term success story in the making. I'll be watching to see, stay tuned. Personally I think the Steelers will be giving Tebow lessons on running for his life .....

The Tim Tebow story has certainly captured the attention of fans and media and the attention is garnered on two fronts.

Football wise, the man has found ways to win, and the wins have come in a consistently thrilling way by leading the team to 4th quarter and last minute comeback victories. He won at Florida and may be bringing that history with him to Denver.

It is the very rare NFL quarterback who steps into the position in his rookie season and becomes dominant. He is not a probowl quarterback by a long shot, but one cannot take away the fact that he has led the Broncos into the playoffs.

In the long run for him, I wonder if a quarterback in the NFL can stay healthy with the style of game that he plays, where he is also perhaps their primary running threat.

The other reason that he has gained attention is for his overt religious nature. The praying on the field and his quiet manner of speaking of the role of religion in his life have certainly rubbed many people the wrong way.

Personally I have a difficult time with those who will not accept that the man has his beliefs, and will not recognize that he has every right to hold them. Religion is a personal matter and he, as with each and every one of us, has his personal right to practice as he sees fit.

What is more bothersome to me is the double standard of the media and fans. A prime example even just today is that his team is playing the Steelers, led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. THIS man has multiple histories of involvement with underage girls, yet there is little said about that and the NFL has done nothing more than give a slap on the wrist.

If you look at the two men and their histories and the media attention as it is focused, it makes one wonder about where our priorities as a society are!

I have always been a Packers fan, and of late a Viking fan, but right now, I am pulling for the underdog - Go Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos.

• Like 2

Guest ***nsut***jr

I you read the post by mrnice you will see that he clearly understands the dynamic in this story.

Lets face it, a technical standpoint this is a football nightmare in a sense.

No coach wants to win games like Denver did with Tebow. You really don't want a last minute or last second victory all the time.

But and it a big but.... is that the fans love it. I love it.

The guy has a big smile on his face because he's living the dream He's helped put fans in the seats and helped sell a ton of merchandise. He's promoted the league and the sport to countries all over the world just by being there.

If you get even one more kid to get involved in the sport because of Tebow its another win. Its priceless stuff.

If the John 3:16 gets on your nerves, change the channel. No big deal.

Guys have been crossing themselves in the end zone for a million years.

Team prayers are pretty well attended too from what I have seen, and I mean with all teams.

So along with mrnice I will be watching the game and hoping Tim and his teammates have a great game and if John 3:16 helps them win it I won't be the least perturbed.

Enjoy the game for what it is.

J

I hope Tebow & Denver win today and have further success in the playoffs; it would make a great story.

There is an optimists theory with respect to football, that on "Any Given Sunday" the underdog, regardless of how overmatched the underdog is, can win the football game. Unfortunately, Denver and Tebow are so overmatched, that this theory will not apply to Denver and Tebow this Sunday, despite Pittsburg's injuries, unless of course Roethlisberger doesn't play.

I watched most of Tebow's last minute comeback's and a couple of them were flukes, and combined, his numerous comebacks were essentially a statistical Anomaly. Defensive co-ordinators have now recently devised a plan to neutralize his limited strengths (he won't be running for 100 yards today!) He need to learn to visualize and anticipate both the defensive structures and his receiver's patterns; basically he needs more experience, and that won't happen over a period of a week. Obviously, as everyone knows, he needs bigger and better receivers as well.

The reality of the last 2 weeks, 2 losses, 4 interceptions vs. one TD pass, QB rating of 38 and 20, (20?, how can that be lol) shows the honeymoon is over.

Today, zero chance of winning (I hope I'm wrong, but...). I usually don't predict outcomes, but this one is easy, 42+ to 13-.

Personally I have a difficult time with those who will not accept that the man has his beliefs, and will not recognize that he has every right to hold them. Religion is a personal matter and he, as with each and every one of us, has his personal right to practice as he sees fit.

I accept and respect everyone's right to their beliefs, I am not religious but I know that most people are very or somewhat religious. My issue is not that Tim Tebow is religious but I find it ridiculous to kneel down during a football game and pray to your almighty for help to win a football game. Pray for world peace, hungry children, a cure for the aids epidemic in Africa, but not a touchdown. I find he uses religion to bring attention to himself and that is the offensive part for me.

• Like 1

On the religious front, I read an interesting comment on a sports board; would people be so tolerant of it if he was a Muslim who thanked Allah every time he succeeded? I for one don't mind the religous aspect even if I find it a bit absurd (if Green Bay wins the Superbowl, does that mean God's either a Packers fan or that Green Bay prayed harder prior to the game?), but his behavior could be far worse (Vick, Rothliesberger, ect.).

On the religious front, I read an interesting comment on a sports board; would people be so tolerant of it if he was a Muslim who thanked Allah every time he succeeded?

Good point, the reaction to him would be totally different if he was Muslim.

Guest ***nsut***jr

I'm sure that someone finds scantily clad cheerleaders offensive too.

As far as the religious stuff Tebow was no different at Florida. His dad is an evangelist from what I understand.

The NFL is in the entertainment business and Tebow is entertaining for the time being.

JustJack is probably right on the money but the TV's will be tuned to that game no matter the outcome.

His career may fizzle because he is not a prototypical NFL quarterback but then neither was Doug Flutie.

I just pray no one gets hurt.

J

With all primadona athletes nowadays, someone who seems to be a bit more down to earth is actually, in my opinion a breath of fresh air. For everyone that is critical of him, I hope you don't consider guys like Plaxico Burress in high esteem.

Tebow has found a way to win games, but no question he needs to improve big time in order to become a quality QB. I am not convinced he can for two reasons: his arm strength just does not appear to be there, and he has such a slow release beyond that (wouldn't some of us like to be saddle with a slow release, but I digress). He might be able to adjust one, but I really think the other (arm strength), just isn't go to cut it, and he likely won't be around too long. That said, intelligence at the QB position is important, and Tebow seems to be solid there.

I wish him best of luck...

• Like 1

With all primadona athletes nowadays, someone who seems to be a bit more down to earth is actually, in my opinion a breath of fresh air. For everyone that is critical of him, I hope you don't consider guys like Plaxico Burress in high esteem.

I wish him best of luck...

It's so interesting how he is perceived so differently by people. I actually don't think he is down to earth, I think he is putting on an act. As far as Plaxico and Big Ben go I don't think anyone is implying these are good guys nor do they represent the majority of players in the NFL.

I wish him luck as well.

Interesting, for all intent and purposes, Tebow has been like this for all his college years, and now (and maybe longer). So, seems that it is how he is, not sure how you would describe that as an act, I guess we all are actors, if you think about it.

And about the others, such as Plaxico, Big Ben and probably 3/4 of all the players, there seems to be more comments about Tebow than the others, so you would have to say little fuse being made of them. Big Ben should probably be in jail now, not playing, but money buys silence. At least Vick paid for his crime.

It's so interesting how he is perceived so differently by people. I actually don't think he is down to earth, I think he is putting on an act. As far as Plaxico and Big Ben go I don't think anyone is implying these are good guys nor do they represent the majority of players in the NFL.

I wish him luck as well.

And about the others, such as Plaxico, Big Ben and probably 3/4 of all the players, there seems to be more comments about Tebow than the others, so you would have to say little fuse being made of them. Big Ben should probably be in jail now, not playing, but money buys silence. At least Vick paid for his crime.

The stories about Plaxico and Ben are years old, Tebow is current. At the time their stories were talked about extensively, Plaxico was made fun of and many people talked about what a scumbag Ben was/is . As a matter of fact Plaxico was mocked in a game a couple of weeks about by a Buffalo Bills receiver.

And yes, to some extent we are all actors.

Today, zero chance of winning (I hope I'm wrong, but...). I usually don't predict outcomes, but this one is easy, 42+ to 13-.

Hummm, perhaps I should revise this prediction. Ben Ben "agravated his left ankle".

"Any given Sunday"??

Wouldn't that be something!

Guest ***nsut***jr

Well Jack... I agreed with your first prediction but...

The play calling by Denver has been excellent.

Geez Tebow can through the ball too.

Looks like a solid game plan that was well executed in the first half.

Lets wait and see the rest.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Well there you have it.

A perfect pass by Tebow at the start of overtime to win the game.

That takes some calm nerves I would say.

That can't be faked BB.

Well there you have it.

A perfect pass by Tebow at the start of overtime to win the game.

That takes some calm nerves I would say.

That can't be faked BB.

I don't like the guy but I do give credit where credit is due, he had a good game, the Bronco's deserved to win. I'm a Pats fan though, see you next week :).

His religion should not be part of the story. Lots of NFL players are religious and we rarely hear people talk about it at all. I always look at Tebow as a football player, considering I'm a big football fan. I don't care that he is religious, because he's not trying to convert me. I think people need to calm down and treat him like just another quarterback. He hasn't even started for a full season in the NFL and people are proclaiming every week that he's either destined to be great or destined to fail.

Time will tell if he is successful or not, as is the case with every other player, it's simply too early to judge.

His religion should not be part of the story. Lots of NFL players are religious and we rarely hear people talk about it at all. I always look at Tebow as a football player, considering I'm a big football fan. I don't care that he is religious, because he's not trying to convert me. I think people need to calm down and treat him like just another quarterback. He hasn't even started for a full season in the NFL and people are proclaiming every week that he's either destined to be great or destined to fail.

Time will tell if he is successful or not, as is the case with every other player, it's simply too early to judge.

He has turned a religious practice of praying to a sports cliche t'bowing, his whole persona is religious based, hard to say we shouldn't talk religion when talking about Tim Tebow.