What Hell is really like?

I've been thoroughly amused by some authors descriptions of Hell. By far, my favourite book was called "Inferno" (authored in 1976 - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle). Now there's a sequel by the same guys called "Escape from Hell".

The original book was modeled after Dante's epic poem "Divine comedy". Hell apparently has 10 descending circles or levels. 3 guesses where the boss lives. It's a great read and should keep you awake at night.

But, I digress. We've all seen the Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yosemity Sam goes to Hell. Silly, eh? Who thought-up the thing with the demons with the tail & pitchfork? Personally, I think of Hell as a bureaucratic nightmare filled with Lawyers (sorry, but it's true), politicians, CEOs and other sodomites. Have I insulted everyone yet?

I just don't buy into the Heaven/Hell thing. It's got to be really boring for Angels to lying about on clouds and strumming harps or lutes or whatever. Just the same, demons (otherwise known as middle management) can't really be motivated for all eternity by jabbing souls with pitchforks. I know I'm probably going to get hate mail for challenging religious icons. I think they have a special spot reserved for me. After all, I am a gangster. They'll probably start me off in the mailroom like all newbies. It will only take me an eternity to climb the corporate ladder. It's a good thing I'm a "People Person", otherwise, I'd be stuck with assholes like Hitler.

Does Hell have a fond personal space in your heart?

well for me hell is craigslist ,lol,some will get this.

no seriously, I feel it's good to question controversial subjects such as religion,I was a believer until I watched my father die an agonizing death from cancer,that changed me,I started thinking how could a"loving god" do that to one of his "children",I still want to believe in it some, partialy because I'm afraid to go to "hell"( a place of no peace) if I don't.

Religion is about fear.

Our ideas about hell and damnation are usually both about the things we fear the most--pain, alienation, isolation, meaninglessness--and our beliefs about God or gods. Add into the mix the notion of a moral universe, where everything happens for a reason, where the good guys really do win in the end, and where there's some kind of balance or settling of accounts, and we have a very potent concoction.

I believe in hell sometimes. When I feel at my worst, I may think I'm living in a corner of it. When I feel misunderstood or lost or angry, I may hope that someone else will end up in whatever version of hell I might design for them. But I know that these are just mind games I'm playing.

Ultimately, I don't know about heaven or hell. I do know that the future is an imaginary thing. It doesn't exist. I have only now, this time, this moment, this breath, this heartbeat.... what I do now is what matters.

• Like 3

Booking with one of the hottest SP's in Toronto, and not being able to cum, because I had a super session with the hottest SP in Toronto, and was spent from the night before. Hell yes, that is hell for me.

I would have to say suddenly losing my hearing.

I mean no offense to deaf people, It's just that losing the ability to hear and enjoy music is a terrifying thought for me.

Hell for me would be not being able to be myself. To conform to what is "normal" and "vanilla". To have to stop my intense feelings, my passion...to be a robot. Pretty much what my mother try to do actually...0_o

Only being able to survive, not live

I've been thoroughly amused by some authors descriptions of Hell. By far, my favourite book was called "Inferno" (authored in 1976 - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle). Now there's a sequel by the same guys called "Escape from Hell"

Hahahaha! I remember reading that book in my teens. And just in case, I made myself memorize the little code phrase that Alan and Benito used to compel any demon they met to do what they said during their journey to the center of Hell:

"This is willed where what is willed must be."

See... just in case.

Edited by MightyPen
Maybe that story isn't for telling.

Guest M*****ss****e

I personally don't believe in hell, or heaven. I believe that the closest thing to hell is spitting in the face of every opportunity given to you in life, and so not being at peace when you die. I believe the closest thing to heaven is making the most of every opportunity presented to you leaving you at peace. This isn't to say I don't believe in a god, I just disagree with what is spoken by organized religions.

I believe that whatever you do today, affects you tomorrow, and eventually tomorrow will be the last day of your life and the first day of your eternity. In believing this, I try to be as kind to others as possible and value what I have.

Sometimes when I'm really down and feeling sorry for myself, I remind myself how little others around the world have, and find even a tiny way to do something nice for someone. For example, in January last year, I was feeling very depressed over my recent divorce. Griping to myself about all I'd lost (material possessions included which only depressed me more that I was so petty), when an ad for the Christian Children's Fund came on tv. It was just the slap in the face I needed, and I went online to check out their website. The first child to be listed was a little girl from Ghana who'd been abandoned by her parents, at 7 years old had never been to school, and was being taken care of by her poverty stricken aunt. I signed up right then and there, and look forward to her letters :D

That is my heaven, and letting her down would be my hell.

The concept of hell or even heaven is as undefinable as right or wrong, bad or good.

Here's a scenario.

An execution.

A man, convicted of a heinous murder, strapped to a table, lethal doses of medication being administered.

The doses were miscalculated, and as such, the man on the table begins to convulse, his excruciating pain and anguish obvious to all observers.

Observer one: Mother of the man being executed. She is witnessing her personal hell. Her son, the fruit of her womb, a person to whom she has pledged her undying love and affection, is dying in a horrific manner. She maintains in her mind that he is innocent and here she sits, powerless to protect her child.

Observer two: Father of the victim. He revels in the suffering that this man is experiencing. He hearkens back to the thought of his child being tortured and killed by the monster on the table. He relives the experience over and over in his head. Despite what he sees, the vision becomes beautiful, divine retribution for the pain that his daughter, her friends and family and her community were forced to endure. In short, the vision becomes heavenly, justice served.

I don't believe that Hell or Heaven can be defined solely by religious epiphanies or the teachings of learned spiritual scholars... they are as individual as we are.

My hell would be orange. Everything would be that jail house uniform shade that is never replicated anywhere else. You can't find it in a sunset or a garden, on a flower or a bug. It isn't seen at the mall or even on a paint chip but the fires of hell would burn it and I would be stuck looking at it forever...

cat

Hell is a made up place. Made up by leaders to control their people to do whatever they want and dangle hell in front of them as a punishment.

There s no such place.

Hell is a made up place. Made up by leaders to control their people to do whatever they want and dangle hell in front of them as a punishment.

There s no such place.

I agree with your argument as presented in a biblical sense, but I do feel that the metamorphosis of Hell has outgrown any scriptural context.

Hell exists. It could be Darfur. It could be captivity. It could be depression, a bad marriage or a unbearable physical pain. It could be the collapse of Wall Street or the loss of a loved one. Conceptually, Hell is all of them or none of them.

I agree with your argument as presented in a biblical sense, but I do feel that the metamorphosis of Hell has outgrown any scriptural context.

Hell exists. It could be Darfur. It could be captivity. It could be depression, a bad marriage or a unbearable physical pain. It could be the collapse of Wall Street or the loss of a loved one. Conceptually, Hell is all of them or none of them.

Hell on Earth, yes...Totally. Afterlife, nah

• Like 1

Hell on Earth, yes...Totally. Afterlife, nah

My thoughts too!!!

My thoughts too!!!

It really is in one's own mind isn't it. In every state of hell there is a piece of heaven too

Guest S**a*Q

I'm in the process of reading Damned by Chuck Palahniuk. He paints an interesting picture of Hell, explained by a thirteen year old girl.

I've never put much stock into the whole "soul" and "Afterlife" business. Maybe I'm too much of a realist but I believe we're all just meat machines...our brain is controlled by electrical impulses, not by a spirit or some such thing. I honestly don't believe there's anything waiting after life. Is that a frightening notion? Maybe to some.....but to me it sounds like a peaceful notion.

I try my best to be a good person and to treat others how I wish to be treated....not because I'm afraid of what might happen to me after I die if I don't. But because I do believe that I only have this one life to live......so I would like to be able to be proud of the person I see in the mirror.

Then again I could be very, VERY wrong.......I don't think a single one of us can say for sure what's waiting for us after until we actually get there. And by that point it's too late to tell anyone else.

But if there IS a "Heaven" or "Hell".....I don't think it's the harp playing angels on clouds or or the smouldering pits of fire and brimstone that everyone thinks......I wouldn't be surprised if everyone's Heaven and Hell differs depending on that particular person. Heaven to me would be reliving the happiest period of my life over and over again for eternity. But without the knowledge that I'm living a loop (because that knowledge in itself would turn even the happiest time into a Hell all it's own)....I would never be aware that I wasn't living this period of my life for the first time.

Hell on the other hand would be the exact opposite. Living the absolute worst period of my life over and over again for eternity....with full knowledge that I'm living it over and over again.

• Like 2