Should prison inmates have the right to masturbate?

This question is actually trickier that it first appears since most states define a prison cell as a semi-public space.

There are a few court cases working their way through the system related to this. Slate has a very good article that explores the topic very well:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/01/should_prison_inmates_have_the_right_to_masturbate_.single.html

Joke......I masturbated all the time in my first marriage....does that count?......

Posted via Mobile Device

For Christ sake it's one of their last freedom. Let them masturbate in peace.

Also the right of masturbating probably keep the stats of rape a bit more down that if they weren't allowed.

Edited by Malika Fantasy
  • Like 2

Although I have never been to prison, I have had the opportunity to spend an extended time in County Jail in the South. The attitude there was "don't let us catch you" and it worked most of the time. But the difference in how they treat female and male detainees is vast. Women who were written up for sexual infractions were more harshly disciplined then the men were. I did 5 weeks in Solitary Confinement for being caught making dildos. These were anatomically correct pieces made from paper towel rolls, menstrual pads, toilet paper and rubber gloves. A true design success in my opinion and what irked me the most was that the dildos didn't make it into the "Contraband Museum" which is a room full of glass display cases which house the unique and creatively constructed contraband from noncontraband materials at hand seized from inmates housed there. This museum is passed thru by visitors to the Jail when they come for a tour or to see a loved or less than loved one.

You can tell when someone scratches an itch in confinement because they are much happier people the next day. I think it is a bare necessity that shouldn't carry repercussions as it helps maintain sanity. At least it can be used as an unwritten privilege to help motivate good behavior as was done in my facility.

cat

When I read "I think it is a bare necessity " my mind went to the song, and the vision of a cuddly bear came into view. Thanks cat for that image. As to the actual question, sometimes the law is written without the possible range of interpretations that can arise. I would think that physical release reduces frustration, anger, and possibly violence, at least for the individual.

I can understand the problem if the individual is annoyingly public about it.

Just from a health perspective it makes sense to "allow" it. The rates of prostate illness would increase exponentially. If you don't exercise your endocrine system it will stagnate and become extremely sluggish. Everyone who has endured a long hospital stay where masturbation was not possible for at least a month knows that nothing works quite right until you've had sex or masturbated a couple of times to "clean out the pipes". On a more "WTH" note, the government should really not care as long as nobody is getting hurt and really butt out. If you will pardon the pun , they should definitely take a hands off approach to this one. :)

I think that not allowing masturbation in prison is not going to do anybody any favours. If anything it would probably make things much much worse. If you stick that many prisoners in a confined area and don't allow them some way of relieving the tension your probably going to end up with more people dropping the soap so to speak or other forms of violence. Also guys like me who aren't exactly the biggest guys out there would be less inclined to leave our cells let alone visit the showers and that would just compound things.

Interesting thread,I am torn,prison is supposed to be punishment,so all rights should be removed,save the right to "survive",eat,drink ,sleep.What if the inmate is a sexual predator,their urges could be insatiable,as could others.Not sure what the right answer is,all good points are being made,as we all need sexual release,to relieve tension,but exercise can do this to.Maybe it should be allowed,maybe not,pros and cons on both sides.

so all rights should be removed

Even prisoners have rights and basic human dignity. Is it not punishment enough to take away someone's freedom to move in the world as they please? To then take away someone's bodily autonomy, and one of the most basic strategies for self-comfort that we have? That's criminal.

I believe Winston Churchill once said that "a civilization can be judged by how it treats its prisoners." With that in mind what good can (pardon the pun) come from depriving inmates of the ability for self pleasure? I mean they are already locked up with their freedom removed, what harm can come from masturbation? Besides how much money would need to be invested into new security measures such as guards, cameras, etc. just to keep an inmate from touching themselves?

Do we really need masturbation police?

Edited by stevecurious
  • Like 2

Even prisoners have rights and basic human dignity. Is it not punishment enough to take away someone's freedom to move in the world as they please? To then take away someone's bodily autonomy, and one of the most basic strategies for self-comfort that we have? That's criminal.

I think I included basic human rights in the rest of that sentence,that you left out! & If someone killed your loved one,or raped your sister,daughter,mother, then ask if taking only their right to move around freely was enough!As the rest of my reply,I stated I was torn, as there are all different types of inmates,crimes commited so there are pros and cons on both sides, with this particular subject.

The issue of masturbation isn't so black and white in prisons. Many of our finer penal establishments house very deviant sex offenders.

If an inmate as discretely as can be masturbates, no problem. But there are inmates, who, when waiting for a officer (usually female) to do a count, will sit in plain view masturbating. Some even go out to yard, or canteen, or other areas where usually female staff are, take their sweatpants off and begin to masturbate. And their criminal history includes offences such as indecent exposure. This sort of behaviour is not condoned, and aside from disciplinary action, an offender may be flagged, if deemed appropriate, for appropriate sex offender treatment. Keep in mind, an offender masturbating in front of officers or staff, is a far cry different than adults (be they civilian or inmate) privately masturbating for sexual relief.

BTW I'm not relaying hypothetical what if's, but true what have, and does happen

Thrown into the mix for discussion

RG

I believe Winston Churchill once said that "a civilization can be judged by how it treats its prisoners."

Do we really need masturbation police?

Jesus Man that is hilarious !!! I will flash my badge and say "Hi...I am a masturbation cop at The Rock here...have you been masturbating today Mr. Inmate cause your in big trouble mister if your were ?? "

Let the fellas masturbate (in private as RG mentioned) or lag bolt a whole bunch of "soft soap" dispensers on the cement walls so nobody else gets hurt !!

I have had a family member killed by someone who is currently in jail. All things considered let prisoners masturbate in private. This seems absolutly ridiculous. Sometimes even I, who completely believe in the death penalty, have to say WTF?

Posted via Mobile Device

Don't prison cells have toilets out in the open? What's the difference between having your flaccid penis out to urinate versus having your erect penis out to wank? Does the law see a difference? Is one legally obscene and the other not?

Just stating the obvious but it will happen and happen often. Could you imagine going on shift and finding out you have "penis watch" ? Oh boy what a great night it is going to be, NOT !!. You will have to train an army of guards as well to stop all this "criminal" relief and someone would have to be pretty damned low to do this to a group of human beings night after night after night. Let em bop the baloney and move on people , nothing to see here and I really mean it this time. Now where were we before this topic? Oh yea, SPs , much more interesting :)

Something to add. Sex between inmates is prohibited, but you know what, sex between inmates happens all the time.

Just because prison rules don't allow something doesn't mean it won't happen

And there are many rules governing inmate conduct in prison, most made up by people who have never worked a day in their life in a prison, or for that matter even set foot inside a prison, and they don't know the realities of prison life

RG