SMS and the ubiquitous texting

Please take heed if you are using SMS (aka texting) to making booking and confirm appointments. SMS does not guaranteed delivery and there are reports of up to 5% message loss during normal operations.

so....this mean I am not receiving my pizza that I order by text?

but...but...*cry*

I swear that number 613-555-5555 is what written on that non-sketchy piece of paper!

I tell ppl this all the time. One very good reason to not use texting for appts, info, or address. Another is the obvious, don't leave a paper trail and history of the transaction, but I digress. Phone call, talk to each other, set it up, meet, done. 3 minutes or less (excluding the meet) and no information is lost.

.... plus you could end up sexting your mom....

Ohhhhh "texting"....... never mind.

Guest Ou**or**n

I love setting appointments up by text as it can be done discretely even if others are within earshot (something that doesn't hold true with a phone call). Most such appointments tend to have a brief phone call at some point.

Any trail left could only be accessed by LE which isn't a big concern for me. However don't do a Tiger and forget to delete them from your own phone. :sm185: As long as you do that you are probably leaving less of trail than email.

I'm surprised to hear of the failure rate being 5% (1 out of 20 messages). I have experienced SMS failure but here in Ottawa I'd estimate it be maybe 1%. Once I lost one while setting up an app't but it was quickly figured out by both of us and we continued. It's good to be explicit with each message if you expect a response or confirmation and thus if you don't receive one then know something has gone wrong. I generally recommend this anyway as often a lady can be texting multiple gents at the same time and accidentally lose track of who is who.

.... plus you could end up sexting your mom....

Ohhhhh "texting"....... never mind.

And how did that work out for ya OD? :shock: Are you still in her will and testiment ?

Must be the shear volume of text messages. But one would hope that the internet service providers (ISP) are aiming for a much higher completion rate.

I am happy to report that I have had a 100 per cent completion rate with Ottawa-based service providers (and I ain't talkin' ISPs).