Underrated Movies

What movies have you seen which, upon first glance, you were expecting to be mindless, cheesy, perhaps campy fun...but were pleasantly surprised to discover they had a certain amount of unexpected depth, intelligence and maturity

Two for me which spring to mind right now are:

Get Carter (2000)

220px-Get_carter_imp.jpg

The plot sounds pretty simple, revenge movie generic. Bad ass comes home for his brother's funeral. Bad Ass suspects his brother was "taken out". Bad Ass systematically hunts down and does away with the bad guys.

I'm a huge Stallone fan so I probably would have enjoyed it regardless. And I was expecting simple shoot em up, car chases, explosive fun....which I got...but I was also surprised to see Stallone give some of his best performances in this movie, particularly in the scenes between him and his niece, as shown here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwvAeLuMeo&feature=related There's a lot of really strong actors in this movie which lend a certain maturity to it which would otherwise be lacking from your average revenge flick. I haven't seen the original Get Carter from the 70's with Michael Cain so I can't really comment on it. But this one is one of my favorite action movies.

Secondly, there's Robocop...Yes, this Robocop:

220px-Robocop_film.jpg

I mean...it's called "Robocop" You know what to expect from a movie title like that right? right? Wrong! When I saw Robocop again for the first time, as a more mature thoughtful movie viewer (more so than I was as an 8 year old anyway :p ) I was surprised to see a very intelligent, well acted, subtle (or maybe not so subtle) social commentary on the Reaganism of the 80's. Strong performances by mostly everyone in this movie also lent it a lot of weight. Peter Weller really gave an emotional maturity to that character which was very unexpected but very welcome. Still remains one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Unfortunately the sequels were....well....pretty much what you'd expect from something called Robocop lol. But I still think this one's a classic

So what movies out there are, in your opinion, underrated? Who knows? Maybe there's some gems out there which I haven't seen because I thought I knew what to expect.

One that immediately comes to mind is

ronin.jpg

Don't hear too much about the movie, but it is a good movie...IMHO

Sure if I spent time thinking, I could come up with some more...and probably will

RG

Biglebowskiposter.jpg

when I first saw this move I thought wow that was so bad but I think i just didn't pay attention enough to it.

my 2nd time seeing it I was thinking what the hell was I thinking this is amazeing love this movie now have seen it more times then I can count.

so if you've seen it didn't like it the first time try it once more.

"The Dude abides"

• Like 2

Biglebowskiposter.jpg

when I first saw this move I thought wow that was so bad but I think i just didn't pay attention enough to it.

my 2nd time seeing it I was thinking what the hell was I thinking this is amazeing love this movie now have seen it more times then I can count.

so if you've seen it didn't like it the first time try it once more.

"The Dude abides"

Couldn't agree more. First time I saw it I was very "meh" about it. Somehow saw it a second time and said to myself "hey that wasn't nearly as bad as I remember". By the third viewing I was in love with it. My mousepad presently is "the rug"......it really ties the room together :p

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest Ou**or**n

220px-Adventures_of_buckaroo_banzai.jpg

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!

Sure its popular as a 'cult movie' but it still deserves a wider audience. Absolutely hilarious performance by John Lithgow

"Laugh-a while you can Monkey-boy"

220px-Fifth_element_poster_%281997%29.jpg

The Fifth Element

I thought this was a great blend of sci-fi, comedy and action that worked really well. The fact that it has Mila Jovovich clothed in simple white bandages is just icing on the cake.

"What was that honey? It was BAD! It had no fire, no energy, no nothing! So tomorrow from 5 to 7 will you PLEASE act like you have more than a two word vocabulary. It must be green."

I think the Coen Brothers have a master plan to undersell their movies and then shock the hell out of you with just how good they actually are.

The Big Lebowski was one example... another, O Brother Where Art Thou.

Simply Brilliant.

o_brother_where_art_thou_ver2.jpg

Another film, actually a documentary, is Young At Heart. It chronicles a choir of senior citizens singing rock songs for the locals. It is an absolute gem. Makes you laugh, makes you proud, makes you cry....

YoungAtHeartPoster.jpg

Edited by Old Dog

I knew another one would come to mind

pulpfiction.jpg

Good interwoven storyline, how different sub plots combined to make a good story One of those movies you have to pay attention too

And the same holds true for this movie too

189591.1020.A.jpg

Not to mention good soundtracks for both movies

RG

• Like 4

Is Pulp Fiction an underrated movie?...i always thought it did quite well and was a popular one?!

maybe some can help me out here?

Additional Comments:

pulpfiction.jpg

Good interwoven storyline, how different sub plots combined to make a good story One of those movies you have to pay attention too

And the same holds true for this movie...

RG

• Like 1

Guest M*****ss****e

189591.1020.A.jpg

RG

I was thinking of this one as I scrolled through, and voila, there it is lol

Lagaan.jpg

Here's one for ya... and you probably have NEVER heard of it.

Bollywood productions tend to be singing, dancing, girls in wet saris, three hour film marathons. They aren't for the faint of heart.

"Lagaan" or "Once Upon a Time in India" is one of those films that breaks that mold. It's a fantastic story. Three hours fly by... and then you want to watch it again.

Dogma_%28movie%29.jpg

Really... anything by Kevin Smith... ever. The man is a genius and people need to see his stuff.

I would say quite a few documentaries get overlooked.

This first one is all sorts of silly fun, and sometimes truth really can be stranger than fiction. These grown men take Donkey Kong WAY to seriously!

King Of Kong, A Fistful Of Quarters

King+of+Kong.jpg

The next ones are much more of a "niche market" sort of documentary, but the casual viewer might be surprised by how passionate and articulate the movie's subjects can be. Well, at least in the first two ;)

Metal, A headbanger's Journey

229133_214054755291337_189707727726040_787002_189890_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfIhuhB5wBY

Heavy Metal In Baghdad

Cover.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3icYwYstg

Get Thrashed, The Story Of Thrash Metal

AAGETTHRASHEDDVD.jpg

• Like 1

[

Dogma_%28movie%29.jpg

Really... anything by Kevin Smith... ever. The man is a genius and people need to see his stuff.

Fully agree with you on this one have to love Kevin Smiths stuff I was able to see him live in Dec with Jason Mews and it was 2.5hrs of laughter this is my fav of his movies after Clerks.

Chasing_Amy_film.jpg

Edited by Bear34

I saw a trailer for the movie "Rum Diary". Johnny Depp, it looks a bit Fear and Loathing at first glance....if anyone has seen it I would like to know what you thought of it :)

MV5BMTM5ODA4MjYxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM3NTE5Ng@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Sugar Shameless

Just watched this one again .... Under-rated IMO for sure

The Italian Job

Edward Norton, Charlize Theron, Mark Wahlberg, Donald Sutherland

MV5BMTc1MjY1MTA0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc5OTU3._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

pulpfiction.jpg

189591.1020.A.jpg

RG

Two of my ABSOLUTE favorite movies. I can recite them line by line as I watch LOL

• Like 2

pulpfiction.jpg

189591.1020.A.jpg

RG

If you liked these 2 movies then you should see killing Zoe.

2_midi.jpg

if this cover doesn't get you maybe this pic will:

killing-zoe-poster.jpg Megforfun are you sure your not my twin? lmao

Additional Comments:

How could i forget The Professional i love love love Jean Reno...sexy..especially in this movie.

original.jpeg

• Like 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs8LokQft2ofKq4tDOGd6hCjp28GzlV1EqKejruIpeNmamlEiSmg

This is one of the best films ever made. The movie poster says it's twisted and hilarious, but truthfully it is also very disturbing. I own this on BluRay and I have made many friends and family members sit through this. Most didn't get it. If you like movies that don't follow some stupid formulaic plotline, and one that evokes in the audience, almost every emotion imaginable, then see this film. Be warned...it's also very touching. You will likely cry. The lead, Nicholas Hope is nothing short of brilliant. I don't really dig Hollywood blockbusters at all, and this is why I find the best movies are usually hidden gems, often done independently that you have to seek out...

turtles-can-fly.jpg

This is also one of those hidden gems. See it. :)

• Like 1

Lock%2C_Stock_and_Two_Smoking_Barrels_2.jpg

I love british Moves and this one is one of my fav's I talk to alot of people who haven't seen this movie and its a shame if you like something funny this is a great movie for you.

and guys if you want to ladys to watch it let them know Jason Statham is in it lol.

The film was nominated for a British Academy Film Award in 1998 for the outstanding British Film of the Year. In 2000, Ritchie won an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for Best Motion Picture Screenplay. In 2004, the magazine Total Film named Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels the 38th greatest British film of all time.

and this movie has someone die to a 12" black rubber cock lol.

have good viewing

How could i forget The Professional i love love love Jean Reno...sexy..especially in this movie.

original.jpeg

Awww you beat me to it! This is an amazing, powerful movie! Except now it's impossible for me to "Check out" Nathalie Portman in anything I see her in because I still see her as Matilda lol

Teeth (aka "The Most Alarming, Cautionary Tale For Men Since 'Fatal Attraction' " lol ) is a dark comedy about....well.....the poster should clue you in as to what kind of teeth I'm referring to, lol. Despite continuously cringing and unconsciously crossing my legs through the whole movie....I did find it to be a rather intelligent, funny, and oddly charming little movie.....the women will laugh, the men will cringe and maybe utter small, crying noises throughout the movie....but I found it pretty enjoyable for all

:

Teeth-%282007%29-picture-MOV_8f5cabd7_b.jpg

Hard Candy is the first movie in which I saw Ellen Page (Juno) and she really impressed the hell out of me. This movie is wickedly intense, and she delivers an absolutely hardcore performance. I don't want to spoil too much for people who haven't seen it but it's definitely the kind of movie which leaves you thinking

Hard+Candy-+Ni%25C3%25B1a+Mala+-+2005+-+Poster002.jpg

MV5BMTQzOTI5MDcxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDQwOTI3._V1._SY317_.jpg

Love this movie! I've seen it dozens of times. I don't think it did well in theatres. Great cast, brilliant acting. Alec Baldwin hasn't been this bad-ass since Glengarry Glenross. William H. Macy is acting genius. Maria Bello....well, what's not to like.