Underrated Movies

Saw this one recently and was very impressed. It's kind of like a British "Death Wish", only nowhere near as hokey. It's more of a serious, unflinching look at the very real effects of drugs and violence and the apparently very real problem with violent crimes in certain parts of England. Even the opening credits scene is very hard to watch due to it's brutality and not for the faint of heart.

Definitely one of Michael Caine's strongest performances and one of the best vigilante flicks I've seen. Up there with Taxi Driver and Jodie Foster's "The Brave One". Any fan of this genre or of Michael Caine should check this one out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2S3SraFmI0

Harry-Brown-2009-Cd-Cover-24136.jpg

Pacino at his best, looking his worst as he becomes more haggard by the hour due to lack of sleep while on a manhunt in Alaska. If you've ever gone without sleep, this movie will resonate with you. Directed by Christopher Nolan, btw.

I visited Anchorage once, in September I think it was. Weird seeing people cutting their lawns in broad daylight at 1 am.

Bonus: a villainous Robin Williams and the ever-lovely (and great thespian) Hillary Swank.

MV5BMzA5NTkxNTIyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkzMjAyMQ@@._V1._SX326_SY475_.jpg

Slap Shot, with Paul Newman, translated in québécois slang is one of my favorites to get a good chuckle. It is dated as it was filmed in the 70's but still...

Slapshot.jpg

"Six string samurai" is an another one. Apocalyptic movie, samurais, semi-zombies, 50's rock.

51FSmdpnEmL._AA300_.jpg

The Ring Finger (l'annulaire, in its original french title) is a good, french drama, about a woman who after an industrial accident, finds a job as an assistant in a laboratory where people bring items for preservation purposes, and develops a peculiar relationship with her employer.

448730.1020.A.jpg

Edited by m*s**rt
Added an original title

One of the better and more interesting time-travel movies that I've seen. Brilliant and chilling performances by Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt and David Morse.

twelve_monkeys_ver4.jpg

I always thought one classic film that has been underrated over the years has been "Notorious" starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman directed by Alfred Hitchcock. IMHO the pairing of Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman was even stronger than her and Boggie in Casablanca. Not only was the chemistry of the 2 stars fantastic the script and direction were unbeatable.

Critics always seem to mention "To Catch a Thief" when they talk about the teamings of Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock although I always thought this was the better of the two films. Both are great movies but one was a triumph of style over substance and the other a triumph of substance and style combined.