"THAT" Song Thread

We have a number of song threads that have being going on for a long time and they are awesome. This thread may be shorter because of the restriction that I am asking people to follow.

We are looking here for "THAT" special song. The one that evokes the memories. If you can share what it is that makes this "THAT" song, then please do.

I know how important music is to people, and how it brings memories and emotions, so the difficult part of this thread is the request that you restrict yourself to a total of two selections. They may be together in your first post, or you can choose to post them separately.

So, can you possibly narrow it down to two songs from your life that you could classify as "THOSE" songs?

It could be a difficult decision. I am going to give it some thought. One I am certain of and the other will be far more difficult.

• Like 1

Well my first real love......a rare occasion that I asked a lady to dance back in the day cause I was busy doing guy stuff :roll:..... but she caught my eye...

We dated for a long long time.....didn't work out at the end of the day.....now years later we are back living in the same town. This was our song and I never ever forgot.. so every time this song plays now our eyes still lock on each other and memories prevail.....pretty cool really :) Funny thing is it is not a real common song nowadays but it always seems to play at socials we are both at for some reason ;)

So special song .... yup....it still is to this day and always will be...

Journey - Open Arms

A song I heard lately that sends chills down my spine.

It's Grenade preformed by aceppella group Delilah in the show Sing-Off.

We are human being. Always changing...

At the moment....I would say

Skin from Sixx:

This song for really move me. It bring back memories of when it wasn't easy in my life...

the other one I will need to think about it

Guest W***ledi*Time

The human condition wrapped up in one song:

Bruce Springsteen -Thunder Road

The screen door slams

Mary's dress sways

Like a vision she dances across the porch

As the radio plays

Roy Orbison singing for the lonely

Hey that's me and I want you only

Don't turn me home again

I just can't face myself alone again

Don't run back inside

Darling you know just what I'm here for

So you're scared and you're thinking

That maybe we ain't that young anymore

Show a little faith there's magic in the night

You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright

Oh and that's alright with me

You can hide 'neath your covers

And study your pain

Make crosses from your lovers

Throw roses in the rain

Waste your summer praying in vain

For a saviour to rise from these streets

Well now I'm no hero

That's understood

All the redemption I can offer girl

Is beneath this dirty hood

With a chance to make it good somehow

Hey what else can we do now ?

Except roll down the window

And let the wind blow

Back your hair

Well the night's busting open

These two lanes will take us anywhere

We got one last chance to make it real

To trade in these wings on some wheels

Climb in back

Heaven's waiting on down the tracks

Oh-oh come take my hand

We're riding out tonight to case the promised land

Oh-oh Thunder Road oh Thunder Road

Lying out there like a killer in the sun

Hey I know it's late we can make it if we run

Oh Thunder Road sit tight take hold

Thunder Road

Well I got this guitar

And I learned how to make it talk

And my car's out back

If you're ready to take that long walk

From your front porch to my front seat

The door's open but the ride it ain't free

And I know you're lonely

For words that I ain't spoken

But tonight we'll be free

All the promises'll be broken

There were ghosts in the eyes

Of all the boys you sent away

They haunt this dusty beach road

In the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets

They scream your name at night in the street

Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet

And in the lonely cool before dawn

You hear their engines roaring on

But when you get to the porch they're gone

On the wind so Mary climb in

It's town full of losers

And I'm pulling out of here to win

Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers

This song was playing when I made out with my very first love when I was 15. I haven't heard it in years. It always brings me back to him and my innocent days.lol.

• Like 1

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

"How does it feeeeeel?" The snare drum that kicks off this song is like a bullet. It leaves you wounded, yet teeming with adrenaline. This is an epic masterpiece that forever changed music.

For me, this song is both nostalgic and immediate. The palpable outrage in Bob's seething delivery inspires me and the muscianship is raw, powerful and perfectly imperfect.

This version in particular is a favourite. Recorded in his 1966 British Tour (usually mislabelled as the Royal Albert Hall show), this is from his fabled "Judas" moment. And really kicks into a high gear with the edict to "Play fucking loud!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRk0nCP-rgw (Song starts about 1:00 in)

• Like 2

Guest Ou**or**n

John Denver - The Eagle and The Hawk

This song always gives me goosebumps and can bring tears to my eyes.

John Denver had an amazing voice - powerful and clear. The lyrics in this song bring out a whole range of emotions - sadness, awe and hope. He sings it a loud and dynamic voice that is unusual for his normal repertoire.

This is the album version -

He also did a spectacular version live with a backing orchestra on his album "An Evening with John Denver".

I am the eagle, I live in high country

In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky

I am the hawk and theres blood on my feathers

But time is still turning they soon will be dry

And all of those who see me, all who believe in me

Share in the freedom I feel when I fly

Come dance with the west wind and touch on the mountain tops

Sail oer the canyons and up to the stars

And reach for the heavens and hope for the future

And all that we can be and not what we are

Guest **cely***r***ne

This song makes me smile, and reminds me that there is a perfect person out there for everyone...

Perfect Two - Auburn

I knew this would be hard to decide on only a pair but out of the two songs to choose from I want one to be from Ronnie Lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EtWQD5F1Xg

Annie (Ronnie Lane)

Old oaks stand tall, Annie

Seen the world grow small, Annie

But when they fall, Annie

Where will we be?

Winter has come, Annie

No strength in the sun, Annie

And when it's gone, Annie

Where shall we be?

When all the colours have faded

When ol' Jack comes to call

Don't tell them no, tell them maybe

Oh Annie, may God bless us all

Oh, yeah, Annie, may God bless us all

Hear the children call Annie

Every leaf must fall, Annie

God bless us all Annie

Wherever we'll be

And God bless us all Annie

Wherever we'll be

I was born a Cape Bretoner and had an aunt who lived Marion Bridge that we visited with when I was really little. I have camped on the banks of the Mira with my family in later years and the majority of my life has been living in the Maritimes. This song is one that I always go back to as perhaps my feel good song that gives a sense of peace and relaxation and brings me to thoughts of times when there was nothing to worry about and only the joy of being young and having no responsibilities.

There are a variety of versions of the song. Written in 1973 by Allister MacGillivray, it has been recorded by amongst others, Anne Murray, John McDermott, and John Allan Cameron,Cape Breton's musical poet. This version by Matt Minglewood is perhaps my favourite. I recall going to dances in the early 70's where the Sam Moon and Matt Minglewood Band were featured, and I suppose that memory also brings me to this version.

Even without the memories and recollections that it brings, I have always found this to be a uniquely beautiful and haunting song that presents a version of life in Cape Breton that is idyllic.

Out on the Mira by Matt Minglewood.

My # 1 choice will be posted before too long.

Edited by mrrnice2
  • Like 2

My choice is not a classic nor is it from a music group I really like but this particular song has

a very personal meaning to me.

Far away by Nickleback

Unlike the video and under different circumstances, my story ending was much different...

Even though it has been years, sometimes it feels like it was only yesterday.

• Like 1

My song that I feel was made for me is "Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi. Twenty years ago or so I was mad at the world and decided to change things that had gotten routine and boring to me. I bought my first motorcycle (Harley Davidson) and became a rebel, no fear and no real goal in life just live and let live.

Even though I was rebellious I still respected the society, never did drugs, did not care about my relationship and work. I had girlfriends loving me and some hated me, lost jobs and got new ones right away some for long some not so long.

My second choice of song is "Lips of an angel" by Hinder. Actually this song played on the radio on my way home after I have met a special girl here from CERB. I still keep in touch with her but not as much as I would like to.

• Like 1

When creating this thread I fully expected that most of the contributions would be related to love, first loves and lovers. It has been a surprise to me to see the varied selections being made and the reasons for those selections.

My first choice was known to me right from the start, as this selection has been "THAT" song virtually forever. It of course has to do with a woman, a very special woman and the memories and associations that this song brings always revolve around her.

Being young and in love, this song accompanied incredible make out sessions that lasted for hours. It was the special request song at our wedding, and we selected it for the parents selection at two of my children's wedding dances. Whenever I hear it on the radio or choose to play it, the memories bring a smile and peace.

Procol Harum - "A Whiter Shade of Pale"

This song was basically the anthem of all young people when it came out in 1977 (I was 17). It will forever remain one of those songs where I can easily remember places and people I was with and what I was doing when I heard this come on the radio.

Truly, a work of art - Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf.

• Like 2

There are songs that in and of themselves don't have any special meaning, but they take me back to when I was a kid, when dad posted overseas, no tv, just records. And you know, it wasn't a hardship, it was a happy time.

One from Johnny Cash (my personal favourite of his, although most everything he did pretty darn good) Have a few CD's of his

And Frank Sinatra was played quite a bit, here's one of his songs, reminds me of growing up as a kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSbSKNk9f0

Loved Meatloaf's Paradise By The Dashboard Lights, I was listening to it in Kingston while Angela, who I had yet to meet, was listening to it some two hours away in Ottawa. Still have the CD

There was a couple years listened to Bruce Springsteen...here's one of his songs I liked, especially when played on my stereo

I'm not going to keep going, there are some songs that I like just because they capture a period in time for me, but there isn't just one song

RG

• Like 1