Laser Eye Surgery

I haven't needed it personally Jabba..... but my ex-wife, mother and two brothers have had it and it is amazing. ... mother wore glasses for over 50 years and both brothers for over 25. Now nada so pretty cool.

I'm actually wondering about it myself. My wife has some bad vision so I thought it would be great for her. Its the possible side affects that worry me. They make a mistake and bye bye vision. Seems like a gamble some how.

A good friend of mine had it done and she said can't stop raving about it. She described the process to me.....and it's a little disturbing and definitely not for the squeamish lol. But the results were 100% successful. She had it done a couple years ago and hasn't had any negative results from it yet.

As a life long wearer of glasses, I have been considering laser for several years. BTW I wear contacts at the moment. Besides the cost, and that can vary, I have had several eye professionals tell me in the long run, glasses will still be required again at some time.

They won't be a strong prescription but the point is, apparently there is a perception glasses will never be needed again. Seems not true. At my age, 46, I was told I would probably be wearing again in 10 years. Not worth it for me.

Sticking to my contacts for now.

OK I think I can add a little something on this topic.

I had my eyes done over 12 years ago when I was 35 at the Ottawa Eye Institute at the General Hospital. They told me at the time that they would try to get me 20/20 but as long as I could legally drive without glasses they would not retouch. I ended up with 20/25 in one eye and 20/28 in the other so they did not retouch. Of course I was happy that I could see and drive without glasses but my vision was not as clear as with my glasses in the past. I also suffered from the night time hallow effect, seeing a hallow of light around a street light and car headlights, it made driving at night more tyering. Before the operation I could remove my glasses and look at any small object up close or read fine print without the use of a magnifying glass. In fact I could not understand the use of a magnifying glass until after my operation! Now I need one.

On the plus side I no longer worried about doing any kind of sports and it was great at the beach or at the pool! My eyes no longer burned or dried from the contacts.

The thing to remember is that the ideal candidate will have a fairly stable eyesight meaning that your eyesight does not change (weaken) every time you get yours eyes checked, normally every two years or sooner and will have little or no astigmatism . I was not an ideal candidate and when you reach 40 everyones eyes weaken so 6 years after the operation I was back to wearing glasses. Only to drive at night to start with and now full time. Before I reach 50 I will need reading glasses or bifocals but that is also normal for everyone.

Was it worth it for me? Yes. It may not have lasted long but what I spent on the operation I would have spent on glasses anyway so the cost is not an issue. Was I happy with the results? Not completely but that was partly my fault for getting it done where I did. Different places can be more accomadating as far as retouches. Also consider how long ago I had it done, things have perfected since then and the hallow effect is rare.

It may be worth it for you especially if you are under 30 and have a stable eye sight with little or no astigmatism. Maybe not if you are close to 50 or over with strong astigmatism.

Do your research on the doctor and the clinic. Find out what their policy is about retouching if you do not get 20/20 on the first try and remember that no matter what you will need glasses in the future wether it be for driving or reading you will be back to wearing glasses some day. For me the fact that today I can wear comfortable glasses that have thinner lenses and are much lighter to wear has also helped.

Good luck in your decision!

Did it abit over a year ago.

No issues with the surgery (yeah, kinda stressful during the process, but no pain/etc)

Eyes are 20/20 average between both.

I'm pleased with my decision to have it done despite having held off for a long time. I would not change my decision to have it done.

Of note, I still reach for my glasses on the night-stand in the morning. Hard to break a 34 year habit.

MS

I did in 1999. Went great, the procedure itself took about 20 minutes. I never had any of the side effects like night halos and such. A couple of friends of mine did and most symptoms faded over the next few months with their vision remaining virtualy 20/20. The technology is way better now. You might as well go for an evaluation, many do charge for the evaluation and at least you'll know what they will predict your results will be. The evaluation is simple and painless.

I had Lasik done about 2 years ago, best thing I ever done.

I have better then 20/20 vision now.

They also offer a guarantee if you get a certain package.

technology has really improved over time... wavefront technology eliminated a lot of the issues (night vision... haloes...)

i have better than 20/20 now... got mine done about 4 years ago... had a PRK at ottawa eye institute - its a teaching hospital so a good place to consider