When a good friend recommends....

a book, a tv program, a movie, a song etc...

So, your friend tells you about the most awesome (pick one of the above) ever and tells you that you must see/hear it, how do handle it when you think it stinks???

We all have different likes and dislikes and even our closest friends may not share our opinions.

Are you so nice that you agree with them?

Do you waffle and be non committal?

Do you come right out and tell them it's crap?

Just curious as this has happened a few times and I wasted my time watching a whole tv series just so that we could relate on that level LOL.

I tell them it's crap. And then take the piss out of them for having bad taste. Mercilessly.

And, amazingly, I still have friends... :)

a book, a tv program, a movie, a song etc...

So, your friend tells you about the most awesome (pick one of the above) ever and tells you that you must see/hear it, how do handle it when you think it stinks???...

I listen intently to what they have to say and what they found interesting about it. A big part of being a good friend is being a good listener and they must be my friend for other reasons than our common interest in something I don't like. I've been handed books, "Oh you've got to read this!". So I will and if I am bored after a few pages I return the book and when they ask if I liked it, I'm honest enough to tell them the truth, "Sorry, guess it's just not for me" or if it's truly something I'm not interested in, I won't even take the book, I'll confess right away that it's not something I'd be interested in reading. But I always listen to why I should bother and then decide for myself, sometimes they are so right! And when they aren't, they'll still be my friend (because I'm a good listener and honest).

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm honest about it with them, I would usually preface my comments with " I can see why you'd like this" especially if it's someone I know well like a lot of you I have a diverse circle of friends which makes for great discussions, arguments and laughter, we all know, like and understand different things, which provides a great opportunity for us to learn from one another, but yeah if I don' like it I let them know.

I think Meg that I would let them know that I did not particularly like it. I would never say straight out that it sucked, but they would know that's what I really mean. It would become a joke about who has the best taste in entertainment or who makes the best use of their time for good purpose. :)

I tend to not beat around the bush and will try to be polite in telling them my reason for not caring for their preference of materials to watch. It always boils down to each their own. If they enjoy it so be it, if I enjoy it so be it. To each their own.

I tend to be honest Meg because if everyone says "yeah it was good" then your friend would be recommending it to EVERYBODY and there would be a whole bunch of bored but polite folks out there that just wasted their time going "WTF is this crap" ;)

My friends and I generally have similar tastes when it comes to movies and tv so when they recommend something I usually like it. On the odd occasion that I don't like something I try to politely say that I really didn't like it, and we usually end up discussing it. I'll usually finish movies even if I don't really like it, unlesss it's bad and I mean Hollywood homicide bad. But when it comes to tv if I don't get into it by the first couple of episodes I won't watch anymore.

I would point out what I didn't like about it and attempt a discussion. It could get really interesting. Maybe my friend agrees with me that certain parts of the book/movie/song/tv show are unpleasant, but that on the whole they really love it for x and y reasons. Or maybe they really love it for x and y reasons and I despise it for the same x and y reasons. It's not something I expect people to take personally, and I'm always curious to explore the exact nature of our differences in opinion. Debate is fun!

I send them a bill for the video rental. Then it's off to small claims court where everybody hollers my name like Norm on Cheers.