A topic that will spark many different opinions,as some still wear it,believe it's no different than wearing leather,others,like myself,won't,think it's passe,cruel,and different than wearing leather, as most animals skinned for fur are not eaten, as are animals that are used for leather products. Do you think it is a practice that should be of the past?

I don't have particular opinion on fur. I do wish that animals they use were treating more humanly, use dead animal to take the fur and not skin some alive...but I am not against it. I don't wear some thought, but I do wear leather on a somewhat regular base

I am sure you will get some interesting feedback on this

The First Nations have strong views ... As do many Newfoundlanders ... Or those from central SW Ontario where Canada's mink industry used to be centred

Me - I am with you cristy ... The civilization process should have moved us beyond this discussion

And, to my FN friends, I maintain my consistent arguement ... I will support all your traditional rights, if you practice them in the traditional way ... No motor boats or snow machines or rifles or GPS or etc. while hunting or fishing

• Like 1

Guest ***nsut***jr

I will go on record as being a fan of a well trimmed beaver if that is considered a fur.

Excuse my ignorance but what do they do to the animals to get their fur. I'm an animal lover and if they skin the poor things alive this makes me very sad. I couldn't imagine someone skinning me alive and wearing me. I like how the native tribes respect the animals and use all of their body parts. It seems like a waste to just kill and use the fur.

I will go on record as being a fan of a well trimmed beaver if that is considered a fur.

I couldn't give out any more rep points,so wanted to as you made me spit out my water,omg,thats the best response ever,thanks for making laugh!!

Additional Comments:

Excuse my ignorance but what do they do to the animals to get their fur. I'm an animal lover and if they skin the poor things alive this makes me very sad. I couldn't imagine someone skinning me alive and wearing me. I like how the native tribes respect the animals and use all of their body parts. It seems like a waste to just kill and use the fur.

Unfortunately there is alot of cruelty in the world ,alot of animals are skinned alive,most are electrocuted (in their anus),then skinned,others are hit over the head,then skinned,most aren't dead when doing so,as far as the animals trapped in the wild,if not using back traps(which are supposed to kill them instantly),most freeze,starve or die a very horrendous death before the trapper finds them in their traps.This info came from a trapper,and I have seen the carcasses of trapped animals.In saying this, some of our food animals suffer terribly as well, not all are dead before they are hung and skinned,I have,very unfortunately, seen this first hand,having been in a slaughter house.It is unfortunate that money is always the main objective in everything, and not saving beings from suffering.

Guest S**a*Q

I'd wear fur if it was bought for me, but I wouldn't spend money on it. I'd just end up spilling something on it in the long run.

If I owned a fur and some crazy animal lover dumped paint on me, they'd better be able to run faster or fight better than me. There's no excuse to ruin something that's already made... The animal already gave it's life for the jacket and now that's ruined. Not sure how the furlover thinks they've done a good thing, but the black eye they have will remind them to think twice before assaulting someone.

I think if an animal is being utilized for food, then it is a sin to not use all of that animal. I eat beef, so wearing leather is fine in my books. That being said, if I had to kill and render an animal I would be a Vegan, Does that make me a hypocrite, of course it does, but I'm not alone in this boat.

• Like 1

Oh, Christy. That is so sad. I want to go out and collect all these animals and start a zoo.

You are very right about the food we eat. It even starts before the animal is ready to be eaten. I watched a documentary about the food we eat. The way big food companies treat animals is inhumane.

I am a hypocrite too because I rarely buy organic food. This is the best way to prevent animal torture in the food industry.

I also wanted to put feathers into my hair until I learnt that they pluck the feathers off of roosters alive and this is a painful process, that sometimes kills the poor birds. On the hair topic some kinds of hair extensions labeled a real hair come from horses tails. It is cruel because that hair protects the horses from flies. It's kind of like removing your arms or hands.

I now look differently about fur thank you, Cristy. I would go with faux fur,now.

I would never condemn anyone who wears it though.

farmed animals raised for fur are treated just a poorly as those raised in any other large factory farm ...

I think animals for meat should be raised and killed as humanely as possible

I cannot get my head around raising animals for fur ... nor indiscriminate killing of wild animals

• Like 1

I thought this post was about a different kind of fur too! I've commented on how hard it is to find an SP who isn't shaven. Love fur!

• Like 2

Lotta misconceptions out there, sorry to say. First of all, I don't know of any any animals that are skinned alive. They are euthanized as humanely as possible, some are stunned unconscious (then the jugular is severed and the animal dies without conscious pain), others are gassed until they expire (mink, for instance). It is quick and painless with the well being of the animal in mind and is scrutinized by all (inspectors, public, PETA, etc.) to make sure it is done right. It may not be pretty or savory to some, but it's the best way to do it.

Factory farms is another term I dislike. People that raise animals for fur or food depend on doing everything absolutely right in order to make a living doing it. The animals have to be kept clean, comfortable, healthy, and well fed at all times.

• Like 1

Guest S**a*Q

Peachy mentions zoos. While I'm sure her zoo would rock for animals, I think a lot of the zoos out there now are more cruel to animals than the "furfarms" might be.

Bob Barker and the elephants of Toronto come to mind.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20110414/barker-zoo-elephants-110414/

I think using animals for the amusement of people is more sickening than taking their fur. At least the animal isn't unhappy or suffering. They're just dead.

*(I'm not saying that all animals in zoos aren't happy, but they're still being held in captivity...)

Lotta misconceptions out there, sorry to say. First of all, I don't know of any any animals that are skinned alive. They are euthanized as humanely as possible, some are stunned unconscious (then the jugular is severed and the animal dies without conscious pain), others are gassed until they expire (mink, for instance). It is quick and painless with the well being of the animal in mind and is scrutinized by all (inspectors, public, PETA, etc.) to make sure it is done right. It may not be pretty or savory to some, but it's the best way to do it.

Factory farms is another term I dislike. People that raise animals for fur or food depend on doing everything absolutely right in order to make a living doing it. The animals have to be kept clean, comfortable, healthy, and well fed at all times.

What fur farm have you visited?Alot ARE skinned alive,no misconceptions,I have seen it ,stunning doesn't work in alot of cases and the pelt is taken anyway,and have you ever watched an animal be gased,seriously,these methods are used because they are the cheapest,and will do the least harm to the pelt,none are considered to cause less or because of less suffering.Don't be fooled, the regulations are lax to say the least when it comes to most,as far as their cages,food and water,inspectors over look alot,and peta have never been supporters of fur farms,nor would they take place in monotoring how the animals are killed.Their is good and bad in all areas of "business",concerning the fur business it's just not necessary anymore,people are bright,they can figure out other ways of making a living that won't cause so much unnecessary suffering.After all we all have to change livelihoods from time to time,eventually I will no longer be able to service provide,I will have to learn something else,it may not be easy but such is life.

Factory farming is a term used by farmers themselves,it represents companies,big business, that house ,grow and raise animals for large food chains,these animals ARE not raised with the best interest of the animals,but for numbers and quickness,and not always with good results,I have a sister that started her vet work in slaughter houses run by"factory farms",she could dispell some of your misconceptions.Farmers that raise their own ,beef,dairy cows,pigs,ect,in most cases do have their animals best interests in mind as it would be defeatest not to for them,but they are becoming extinct due to "factory farms".

• Well the Fur thread title made me think of a good Jean Chretien joke I heard a way back.... ;)

Prime Minister Jean Chretien was meeting with officials in Red Lake, Ontario. It was a very hot day and the ceremonies took place outside in a local grandstand. The Mayor was surprised to see that Chretien was wearing a large fox fur hat, despite the heat.

After a while the mayor leaned over and spoke up. "Excuse me, Mr. Prime Minister, but I can't help wondering why you are wearing that fox hat when it is so warm?"

Chretien shrugged. "Well, you know 'ow it is", he replied. "My wife, she is da dresser in da family, so I always take 'er advice.

If I go to de Maritime, she say 'Wear da toque'.

If I go to Calgaree, she say 'Wear da stetson'.

Dis time she ask me where I go; I say Red Lake.

She say 'Red Lake !!! Where da fox hat ??'

So I did!"

It's funny as I sit here reading this thread I spotted a few foxes runny through my property and I couldn't for the life of me imagine killing them just for their skin. That said I understand the food chain and that one animal feeds another and so forth but to kill animals just for their hides is in my opinion sad! Killing animals for food is one thing but killing just to look stylish or for fun (sport hunting) is disgusting in my opinion!

Guest **cely***r***ne

To each their own.

I am an animal lover. And I love fur. I buy it second hand, and at the moment I own an arctic fox shoal and a minx. Im not out hunting the animal to wear it...

Many visits to a mink farm (interchangeable with stink farm) as a child convinced me that we need not raise animals in these conditions only for their fur, especially when we can fake it so well these days it's hard to tell the difference (but of course you can). Oh sure they are really nasty critters that have nice fur but I know they can feel emotions and pain.

Just in case you're wondering, I really do give a thought or two for the animal that gave it's life so that I may live when I chow down on that streak.

Guess I'm a bleeding heart animal lover too.

• Like 1

It's funny as I sit here reading this thread I spotted a few foxes runny through my property and I couldn't for the life of me imagine killing them just for their skin. That said I understand the food chain and that one animal feeds another and so forth but to kill animals just for their hides is in my opinion sad! Killing animals for food is one thing but killing just to look stylish or for fun (sport hunting) is disgusting in my opinion!

My oh my,finally,we agree on something,lol,thanks for your input.

I am replying to this as a country bumkinses with rifles ;)

I hunt foxes when need be....but for necessary reasons for instance because they are killing my chickens :( .... or population control. I will sell or give the hides to local trappers for the fur trade.... and I do have a fox hat.

I hunt coyotes every year and sell the hides for fur trade .... a population control issue and kill local cattle which is the livlihood of many in my area...they run in packs and need to be controlled. As population increases so does the mange and that is not a good thing either.

This is only a couple examples used to get my point across....but right, wrong or indifferent I obviously am involved in the fur trade in one way or another.

I am an animal lover big time ! With the exception of a few years in the city...I have spent my life living in the bush pretty much surrounded by wildlife. It is awesome truthfully .... but there are nature control issues that are always there so the fur trade will need to live on forever in my world as I see it. If it doesn't and there are no more people to wear furs...the hides will just be tossed away.....

• Like 6

I am jumping to the reply before reading all the other posts, which is unusual for me.

I don't think wearing fur is different than wearing leather or eating meat for that matter. Having said that I don't wear fur, leather or eat meat, so there you go.

I would rather there was no fur, leather or meat (as in cow and pig meat, among other furry four legged critters), but I am not a zealot on the topic. I do think that leather is dumb to wear, so uncomfortable regardless of what is made out of it other than shoes I guess. But fur can be very beautiful.

*closes eyes and remembers some American feedlots I toured a few years ago*

what i most remember is cattle chest deep in mud and their own filth and seeing a steer having a hook rip out part of its body then gasp in pain before its throat was cut while it was still alive.

Fur, leather, meat, any sort of live animal can be inhumanely killed for whatever reason. I have always believed in changing the way we treat animals as compared to flour bombing, throwing red paint or whatever.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

What fur farm have you visited? Alot ARE skinned alive,no misconceptions,I have seen it.

Where is this farm that you witnessed live animals being skinned? I don't mean which city, specifically where is it? I find it hard to believe this is so prevalent and people are not protesting it. If people protest clubbing a baby seal you'd think the same people would be all over these shops that skin animals alive. Also, what kind of animals are being skinned alive?

Where is this farm that you witnessed live animals being skinned? I don't mean which city, specifically where is it? I find it hard to believe this is so prevalent and people are not protesting it. If people protest clubbing a baby seal you'd think the same people would be all over these shops that skin animals alive. Also, what kind of animals are being skinned alive?

There have been many cases,not that long ago there was footage on the news,someone got undercover footage of animals being skinned while still conscious,so if you need proof,go and visit any fur farm,seeing is believing,and who said people weren't protesting.How can someone stop something that is legal,and gaining that type of footage is difficult,when an animal is electrocuted,clubbed,they don't always die or become unconscious,and the the person dosen't stop and say oh the poor dears aren't dead yet we better wait!They skin them anyway,do your research you will see,I don't have to prove to you that it happens,I know what I have seen.