How to enter the work force?

I have now been full time SP for about 5 years. Although I have had many job tittles in the past there is this hole of 5 years or so with no job reference:(

So, I am building a resume now, trying to utilize the skills I have now from marketing and operating a small business owner...lol...

I am lucky however that I have run a Professional pet grooming studio and now a reflexology studio. So now not only is there 5 years I have spent as SP, but another 5 years of those 2 other businesses. There is a down side to being an small business owner, as employers do not want to see self employment for 10 years, they may think I am too "set in my ways" or simply, how do I give a reference for just myself?

So what is my natural skills to bring to the job market? Sales seem likely??

I certainly have gained skill with marketing, assessing clients needs, well organized scheduling, diffusing stressful situations, working under pressure, self motivated, leadership qualities.

But is this enough? With no one to provide reference for my work...too bad they cant see my rec's lol..

How do other full time SP's deal with issue? What suggestion might you have for someone in this position? Anyone in an employer position could possibly help me with what you are looking for in a resume, and what are your impressions when you see a resume with a 5 year gap in it?

I tell people I've been travelling around Canada and working under-the-table jobs like fruit picking in BC orchards, or working at hostels in exchange for room and board. Though I actually have done these things, and really have backpacked around the country, so I can back it up if they start asking questions.

Just say you were self-employed, and leave it at that. And of course, going to school for something always helps! (I don't know what your secondary education is, but even a quick six month certificate in something helps.)

Posted via Mobile Device

I tell people I've been travelling around Canada and working under-the-table jobs like fruit picking in BC orchards, or working at hostels in exchange for room and board. Though I actually have done these things, and really have backpacked around the country, so I can back it up if they start asking questions.

Just say you were self-employed, and leave it at that. And of course, going to school for something always helps! (I don't know what your secondary education is, but even a quick six month certificate in something helps.)

Posted via Mobile Device

You and I have alot in common I think, lol...I too have backpacked across country, did also pick apples etc...hehehe

Yes I am certified in Pet grooming and Relexology massage. But I want to leave those trades, or at least not depend on self employment any longer:( It is too hard for future retirments etc...No pension plan and no bennifits:( I will maitain my massage, but would like to have something to back me up as well. Thanks for your input, I was starting to feel I was alone with this issue:)

You and I have alot in common I think, lol...I too have backpacked across country, did also pick apples etc...hehehe

Yes I am certified in Pet grooming and Relexology massage. But I want to leave those trades, or at least not depend on self employment any longer:( It is too hard for future retirments etc...No pension plan and no bennifits:( I will maitain my massage, but would like to have something to back me up as well. Thanks for your input, I was starting to feel I was alone with this issue:)

I know you said you wanted to leave the trades you are trained in but it might be a good idea to work part time for a while for someone doing those, just for the resume,or you could get another sales type job,something you could use for a reference,and heres an explanation you could use ,you could say that you were a house wife,your partner didn't want you to work and now since you have parted ways you need work,hence the long break from employment,just a suggestion,good luck.

I know you said you wanted to leave the trades you are trained in but it might be a good idea to work part time for a while for someone doing those, just for the resume,or you could get another sales type job,something you could use for a reference,and heres an explanation you could use ,you could say that you were a house wife,your partner didn't want you to work and now since you have parted ways you need work,hence the long break from employment,just a suggestion,good luck.

Thanks Cristy:) Yes have tried that approach before, but never ended up with a job that was worth doing:( So I do try to expand on my trades as what I have learned from business.

it is scary a bit to realize 5 years later, I am almost unemployable for the lack of references:( But I am sure something will come my way with my name written on it!

That is the plan, to pick up a job...any job, just to fill in the gap for awile;) I hope I can "sell" myself on the job market as well as this market heheheh

It is too hard for future retirments etc...No pension plan and no bennifits

I quit my mainstream job that had a great pension and benefits plan and don't miss them. Sadly I determined that people within my group were retiring after 30 or 35 years, collecting their pension for 2.6 years on average and then leaving this world. I had at least another 10 years to go to be the minimum age to get my statistically 2.6 years (on average) of pension benefits before I die, so I decided it wasn't for me and now I'll never be able to go back to working for someone else.

I'll never be able to make as much money or find as much happiness working for someone else. As for the pension, well it's strictly a matter of discipline to put enough aside for that and the other benefits are easily acquired on the open market if you want the security of having insurance.

If you want to or are able to return to working for someone else I think it is wonderful, but working for yourself and being your own boss, well, there is no life like it.

When it comes to SPs (from the outside looking in), it seems a bit of a trap just like an actor that gets cast into a particular kind of role and can't find any other. Like Leonard Nimoy who had to write a book "I Am Not Spock" but then we rarely see him elsewhere cast in other roles as hard as he did try to change this it seems in the end he really couldn't.

I've seen this discussed a number of times here and it is a challenge to return to the work force once you've experienced the dark side of the force and not having to answer to anyone other than yourself.

Hope you achieve whatever you set out to do.

Additional comments:

I should add that even though I "quit" I still do consult from time to time or even work part time for someone else from time to time (with no benefits) but basically retain the freedom to set my own hours, so you might find a balance between security and freedom like I have, hope so.

Edited by backrubman
  • Like 1

I think it's a good thing for you to take a look at your future. I have been out of the workforce for about 12 years now, and for quite a few years considered going back to work, before deciding to officially retire. The problem is that the longer you stay out the harder it is to start again. As for a pension as long as you're doing your I tax you can and should be contributing to an RRSP, the earlier you start the better the return, and you can't rely on a government to live comfortably on when you retire. I've got my 2.6 years in and looking for many more. The recreation time spent with you lovely ladies on a regular basis is one of the reasons that I am optimistic and stay healthy.

If you're going to get a job unrelated to this industry, following are a few of my opinions and suggestions. Number one you have to temper your expectations, remember if you have to start in a new industry you're at the entry level, you will only get ahead through time and hard work. Until you do take that first step, taking a few courses works really well. If you need good references I would suggest getting involved in the volunteer community. You will find that you will meet many very community oriented people, gain some very vaiuable experience and some great references. Look around and put a plan in place as to what it is you want and work to that end.

As for the five years only you can develop a plausible story, but I would suggest making it as close to the truth as you can. If you start spinning too much of a yarn, it becomes too hard to justify later.

Good luck.

• Like 1

This is a good thread, Sophia. Thanks for opening the discussion.

You might consider asking for letters of reference from some of your pet grooming and reflexology clients. Ask them to focus on things like your promptness, attention to detail, attitude, demeanor, how you exceeded their expectations. If you know other groomers and reflexology therapists well enough, you might ask them for letters stating that you had a great reputation in the field and were an asset to the industry.

When employers ask why you want to work for them instead of continuing to be self-employed, you might say that, much as you've enjoyed what you were doing, you want to work in a more dynamic environment with different challenges and more people. It can be very lonely to work alone all the time: you'd like to be part of a team where you can work on bigger projects, etc.

You might say that you've been taking courses part-time, perhaps just out of personal interest rather than with a specific purpose in mind.

Boomer's suggestion about doing some volunteer work is excellent. Find something that really interests you. The range of volunteer options is incredible! After a few months, you should easily be able to use your experience and references to help in your job search. Volunteering shows that you're willing to extend yourself into the community and make a meaningful contribution that's not solely tied income.

• Like 2

I have the same problem. I've gotten away with saying I am a self-employed massage therapist, non-RMT. Employers never follow up because they don't know what that means. I'm not sure they believe me, but they don't disbelieve either. They'll give you the benefit of the doubt if you talk passionately about it and explain all the business skills you learned (which is all genuine, there just happens to be sex involved.)

Here's a thread from way back when:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31405&highlight=resume

Good luck and hold your head high. The truth is that this job provides more learning experiences than almost any other. There's no reason why sex should stigmatize our work but because it's not palatable for mainstream society, a little omission never hurt.

AM

Guest Ou**or**n

I echo Boomer and Samatha's wise comments about volunteering. I am often on the hiring side of things and I look very favorably on those who have accumulated volunteer experience in the area that I'm hiring in. To me it shows a deep and genuine interest in the career that speaks very loudly. You also can get references from this type of work.

In many cases when I hire I ask myself - can this person do this job and is this person interested in doing this job. I weight interest much higher than ability as they tend to be the best performers.

An excellent way to reenter the workforce is thru temporary placement agencies. You can be employed by a temp service full time even when you don't always have a placement. Keep an outstanding track record with them and they will give reference for you when something permanent comes up. It also allows you to experience different work environments which gives you the opportunity to broaden your knowledge of what works for you and what doesn't. Most temps are either fresh out of school or women reentering the workforce after having children. It is flexible and most are networked nationally so you can look at positions in other cities as well as locally.

cat

• Like 1

Much, of course, depends on what you want to do. In some ways, you need an idea of that, and then set your sights on achieving that goal.

So, as an example, I have a lady friend in the biz who gradually got involved in real estate. Over time, she studied and took her real estate exams and now she spends most of her time doing that. Real estate is good as well, in that an attractive, bright woman with people skills will do well. And Sophia, you are clearly all those things.

Travel agent is another type of job whe there is a set "training" for, and it strikes me that absence from the work force might not mean that much once you'd completed the course.

As for the past few years, you could also make something up ... Took time out to care for an ailing relative, came into an inheritance and decided to travel, etc., etc.

I also think it might be easier to do a very radical change. So, for example, if you decided to pursue real estate, an agent looking to hire you is likely less interested in what your pet grooming references have to say. In that context, the "I did pet grooming and enjoyed it, but it really wasn't for me. I then had the opportunity to travel for several years and decided to take it. Now, I want something different" explanation will really work.

Remember as well, most HR people are well schooled that they can't ask personal questions. Once you say something like "I travelled with my partner for 5 years" or "I was caring for a relative" that 5 year period is off the table for interview purposes. It doesn't mean they might not go with someone with more recent work experience or letters of reference, but it does mean they aren't entitled to ask anything else about the period.

Then, you just be yourself and wow them. The difficulty is getting enough credentials to get the interview. And that's where there are lots of good suggestions in this thread.

Porthos

Wow, what awsome advice, and will certainly put these suggestions to use! I submitted a resume to a mobile cell company, they are seeking a sales team leader in my area. Looking for creative, leadership, people skills, that sort of thing. So i think I have the personality and skills to fill this positions nicely.

Just as one person mentioned, I have to be willing to start at the bottom again, which I certainly do not mind doing. With hopes of future management options.

I do Volunteer as well for a political party, canvasing for certain issues, also at SPCA I groom free for them for the dogs who need it.

I wont leave this behind, as I do enjoy the lifestyle that it brings me. But Do not want to look at another 5 year gap either:(

So cheers to all of you for helping me out with this, I can always count on cerb family for the best advice with so many life issues!! Love ya all, xoxo

I wont leave this behind, as I do enjoy the lifestyle that it brings me.

Collective sigh of relief from men across Canada!!

Porthos

• Like 1