I've spent as much time in Canada as I have on the other side of the planet. And while I was accustomed to the lifestyle here (I didn't go through any culture shock when I moved here), I did notice small, but noticeable differences with how people live (nothing that creates a barrier, more of a habit or a preference then anything else)

Anyhow, this being the forum it is, I was wondering in a purely curiosity/sciency sort of way, is there a difference between sexual preference (like it rough/like oral/etc) and race/background? I guess my question would be geared towards SPs.

To be honest, I've been going over this forum with pure amazement and reading everything that I can. I'm cat like curious, someday it might bite me in my bum. So I hope no one takes this the wrong way in that I'm trying to create a divide or anything like that.

Anyhow, this being the forum it is, I was wondering in a purely curiosity/sciency sort of way, is there a difference between sexual preference (like it rough/like oral/etc) and race/background?

What ever differences there may be would clearly not be racial but would be strictly cultural and have nothing to do the the colour of a person's skin. Of course given how complex and widely varied human sexuality is even among a group with in the same culture and background, I doubt we can easily distinguish these differences in any meaningful way if they do exist.

That said, a lady once told me she loved Japanese sailors because of the way they made love to the point she would find out in advance when a ship of such origin was to arrive and make sure she was around. When? What? Why? How? Details? Seemed impolite to ask at the time :) The answer may be that they were very generous, grateful and simply good tippers.

Perhaps they paid in Yen terms with Canadian dollars, 80 Yen = 1 Dollar so maybe they paid 80 times more :)

I personally could see the potential for this thread to get ugly by perpetuating stereotypes so I am not touching it with a 10 foot pole.:icon_neutral:

• Like 3

Non-sex stuff.

Wear I come from, everyone refers to someone 20+ years older to them as an aunt or an uncle. It doesn't matter if you even know that person or not (unless that person is your boss/teacher/or has another specific title). You call your real aunt/uncle something else.

Everyone wears slippers to the shower, I do this now sometimes, especially when I visit my parents.

Public shower is unheard of there. I do not take showers in a public shower here. Before it was just an embarrassment thing, now I just feel comfortable in my own bathroom. Need to really scrub every crevice, and I'm not doing that in front of everyone.

We'd eat dinner, like everyone else, really late in comparison to what I've seen here. Around 9-10pm usually. I much rather have something early around 5-6, 7 at the latest, so I'm happy about that change.

I don't always say please and thank you to people who share the same background I do. Over there, it's how you say it, and what you do that speaks, not the words. I've noticed that here it's very important, so I say it. I do not think one way is better then the other.

"I love you" is not common. I have never said this to my parents, they have never said this to me, or to each other, in English or their mother tongue. We just know it. I have no problem saying it to people here. I just have a different mindset depending on who I'm with.

I have chilly powder and lemon with corn.

Additional Comments:

What ever differences there may be would clearly not be racial but would be strictly cultural and have nothing to do the the colour of a person's skin. Of course given how complex and widely varied human sexuality is even among a group with in the same culture and background, I doubt we can easily distinguish these differences in any meaningful way if they do exist.

When responding to billybob, I realized that cultural was probably what I should have stated, most of what I've noticed about myself is rooted in the two distinct cultures I've grown up in and have noticed the simple qualities that different backgrounds posses. Most have been easy to observe, like food, choice of music, choice of interior decor, but intimacy is treated with such secrecy, that to talk about it risks offending.

I don't mean to push any buttons, like I said, just naturally curious. So I am sincerely sorry if this offended anyone

I personally could see the potential for this thread to get ugly by perpetuating stereotypes so I am not touching it with a 10 foot pole.:icon_neutral:

Agreed, I'd suggest a longer pole than 10 feet if I had any sense. But only becuase "race" is in the thread title. In all fairness to the OP, I think the essence of the question is more cultural and sincere with no racial connotations intended --and I am both dumb and stupid so boldly go where no one has gone before. In fact it is these very cultural differences that may have made this thread seemingly untouchable. But in learning Spanish, I made my fair share of very embarrassing mistakes (eh, some were whoppers).

So just where is it you "come from" piano8950 if you don't mind me asking?

And as he says "intimacy is treated with such secrecy, that to talk about it risks offending." so they gotta be "different" (culturally). The content on CERB would be an eye opener for someone from such a culture. The thread about favorite sexual positions comes to mind :)

So just where is "there" piano8950 if you don't mind me asking?

I am part of a generation of children born in the Middle East to south Asian parents. Neither here nor there (I didn't really belong to either culture, but because of the prevalence of people who were exactly like me, we just did our own thing)

And yeah, in hindsight, I should have said culture instead of race

I am part of a generation of children born in the Middle East to south Asian parents. Neither here nor there (I didn't really belong to either culture, but because of the prevalence of people who were exactly like me, we just did our own thing)

And yeah, in hindsight, I should have said culture instead of race

Interesting. Well in Spanish use the wrong word or the right word in the wrong way or pronounce it poorly so it sounds like a different word and they will be throwing punches :) So I take no offense, it's just that "race" is a dirty word here but then I've used dirty words without knowing it also, so no offense is taken by me what-so-ever.

In fact, I love Central America as there is truly no racial discrimination there (that I have ever seen). No black or white, but 200 different colours so colour no longer matters to anyone. Wish it were so here also. Doubtless will be someday.

So your thread is tainted by it's title. I think a discussion of cultural differences particularly from the view point of any open discussion being offensive where you come from is very non-offensive here but you may need to wait a few days and start a new thread that avoids stereotypes and race.

• Like 1

When first reading the title i was like "yah! totally prefer the 10km versus the 25km marathon"

I suspect its all about individual exposure and preferences with culture playing a small part. I say a small part mostly because the world is much smaller now. The Internet has open hidden corners of the world to all of us.

• Like 1

Piano is such a sweet guy. The title does sound bad but I can say he is not raciest and he surly didn't mean it that way. I'm sure if piano could he would change the title.

I find from even living in small towns to bigger cities is different. From the style of cloths to lifestyles. In small towns I find they are back 20years or so with music technology and lifestyle. Maybe it's like this because life in a small town has a slower pace and it has it's advantages and disadvantages.