Advice from ladies (or gents) for a lady

Guest S***dst***

I do not know who else to reach out too.

A lady friend (in this business) is having major issues with another lady is the industry. Harrassing phone messages, text message spam, fake clients and even sending a client just to find her address so they could send people over with words of advice for her.

What ever advice you can offer will be muchly appreciated.

harassment is harassment (no matter what job you are in).....have her keep records of these phonecalls and visits and tell her to go to the police. Theres nothing she can do about the fake client emails unfortunately but if shes receiving threatening phonecalls and people are coming by harassing her then she has every right to take it to the authorities

• Like 7

Guest S***dst***

I appreciate your advice...and wish more people would chime in.

This individual knows where my friends family lives and is also stalking them.

Her phone is being spammed by an auto dialer...she literally get thousands of text messages an hour.

I feel really bad and scared for her. I have past on your advice and hopefully she will take it.

This might help with the auto dialer,

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

If that doesn't work, she can talk to her cell phone provider and ask them if there are any options

But your friend, like Annessa said, should document everything, and if needs be, go to the police...stalking is illegal, and if it escalates, can become violent.

Good luck

RG

She should be able to use features the phone service already provides to block someone from calling her.

Each phone call received, she also needs to press *57, then after a few of those calls are reported with *57, she then needs to get the # blocked.

Tell her to not take "oh we can't do that" as an answer from the (assuming cel phone) phone company. They certainly can. If it is a landline, it is very much simpler. She simply uses *60 to block specific #s, and she can use that for block calls as well.

Anyone receiving that many calls within a short period of time can show intent. If there are texts received, she needs to record, copy, save the history.

If she receives harrassing emails, keep a record as well, then start blocking the emails as they arrive. Some email accounts have easy blocking set up, others may take some digging to figure out how to block.

And definitely, she needs to report this person immediately and without delay, to start a file.

It doesn't matter that this is another sp doing this, the process she needs to go thru would be the same if sp or problem client. Once she gets the basics of how to record and report, then she will be able to handle anyone else that happens her way.

The worst possible thing to do is to allow it to continue, by doing nothing. Doing nothing would include not blocking the nuisance calls from clogging up her phone line, imo. Some sps change their phone #, but once the # is in ads, it starts up again anyway so not much point in that.'

I have a feeling that if/when the problem sp gets a call or visit from LE, they'll think twice about treating your friend like a victim. Let's face it, some people are idiots. Some people manage to take offense when nothing was ever done to them. Some people have impulse control issues, or alcohol problems, or who knows what. The thing with this person is they aren't going to go away. Some people actually need someone else (like LE) to come up to them and tell them to stop doing something. They think because they can do something, and get away with it, it is OK.

Best way to deal with a bully is to not allow them to get away with it. We don't know what this person is capable of if they feel like they aren't getting their way. Once they realize that LE is involved, and they would be the first person contacted if anything happens, they might take a step back.

• Like 2

I appreciate your advice...and wish more people would chime in. This individual knows where my friends family lives and is also stalking them. Her phone is being spammed by an auto dialer...she literally get thousands of text messages an hour. I feel really bad and scared for her. I have past on your advice and hopefully she will take it.

Wow, that sounds like a police matter to me. If you had said "thousands of text message an hour" I would have assumed you were exaggerating but when you said "literally get thousands of text messages an hour" that's got to be illegal (in a couple of ways I can think of) and the carrier (telco) and police should be able to help with that.

Even if the police didn't want to help (and I can't imagine why they wouldn't), if any of it can be proven a civil suit to recover damages might get the nasty people(s) attention and make them think twice about continuing this ridiculous campaign of harassment (and that's easy filed in small claims which shouldn't be called small claims because at least in Nova Scotia I think the limit is $25,000 now).

Too bad she couldn't switch to a 1-900 number. I know I'd have no problem paying a couple of bucks to set up an appointment with a reputable lady (people call 1-900 numbers to get a weather report), of course anyone calling to annoy or harass her would have to pay too. Yeah, auto dial my 1-900 number and make me rich you dummy! Ok, so maybe setting up a 1-900 number isn't so easy but then you can have a Skype-In number in just about any country of the world and that can be forwarded to a secret number anywhere. So think about it, the lady has a number in the Caribbean (like I do), it costs $0.16/minute for someone to call it from Canada, so I can't imagine having to talk with her for more then 10 minutes to set up an appointment, oh wow, that just cost me a whole $1.60, but of course a lot more if I am war dialing to annoy her (which I would never ever do of course).

Additional comments:

Actually her number doesn't need to be off-shore, just a different city. We often encounter this with travelling SPs, they have their home base cell phone with them and we never mind paying the toll charges to that city to call them from across town, just a very minor cost of doing business but an annoyance and cost to anyone that would call for any other reason.

Edited by backrubman
Additional comments

With Bell, there is a service called Call Screen (it's an extra value service, so you'll have to subscribe to it monthly). What it can do is if there are blocked calls coming in, then it will not put the call through until the caller identifies themselves, either by unblocking the call or by stating their name to an answering service, which then forwards it to your number. Also if there are unblocked numbers that are calling, then these numbers also can be put into the list of calls to block.

Other phone companies might have similar services too.

Guest a**4*

your friend should do something before it's to late this is serious

Guest s**nflute
I do not know who else to reach out too.

A lady friend (in this business) is having major issues with another lady is the industry. Harrassing phone messages, text message spam, fake clients and even sending a client just to find her address so they could send people over with words of advice for her.

What ever advice you can offer will be muchly appreciated.

Your lady friend has put up with way too much abuse in every shape and form, please encourage her to contact the LE before the virus spread in too deep. The phone carrier should give full cooperation to the LE and your friend. You are a GOOD man to step up to the plate for her.

finally there is a way to block calls and yes text messages too with rogers and blackberry-text 4716 then Xtreme- then it will prompt you to do the rest...I'm not sure about other mobile providers but this works with Rogers. I do really think however that she needs to contact the police. I had to deal with this before and the police were very helpful.

• Like 2

Lots of good advice, but do emphasize that this is a police matter. If you are afraid for your friend's safety, then it isn't something she should try to handle on her own.

• Like 3

Guest s**nflute
Sad to see this happening in a small community like this.

Posted from my iPhone

Sad to see this is happening in the first place....

Additional Comments:

finally there is a way to block calls and yes text messages too with rogers and blackberry-text 4716 then Xtreme- then it will prompt you to do the rest...I'm not sure about other mobile providers but this works with Rogers. I do really think however that she needs to contact the police. I had to deal with this before and the police were very helpful.

Could you provide the steps you have taken to help the person in need?

I agree police matter!

If it's the same number calling, don't block it until you've reported it to the police and kept records of that number calling. Blocking it doesn't mean the harassment will stop, it just means that another phone can be used like a payphone..that's hard to trace. But if she is getting harass emails and such too there is a way the police can identify the ip address of the email-er.

Keep a log with times and dates of the calls along with anything said. Harassment is wrong and will be delt with by the police and courts but if she is getting threats and such it is taken to a different level and delt with immediately. If she has a record button, use it. I hope it stops for your friend. Please convince her to go to the police.

Sad to see this is happening in the first place....

Additional Comments:

Could you provide the steps you have taken to help the person in need?

Just like has been said already...save the text messages etc and contact the police. It's harassment...and threats..this isn't allowed no matter what your occupation is. She can contact me if she needs or wants some help.