LINUX/MAC/PC - Why?what?where?how?

Hey there, I'm running a laptop with Kubuntu Linux 64 on it. I find it just as easy to use as Windows, haven't had any problems with it. It's really not all that hard, but there is a slight learning curve. My roommate isn't even close to computer savvy and picked it up in about 3 days. YMMV.

Like mod I also have a PC that runs Vista 64...if I didn't need a 64 bit OS though I'd still be using XP. I'm just not happy with XP 64. Same reason I'm using Linux on my laptop. I have over 3gb of RAM and I hate XP 64, and Vista is just too bloated. Can't wait for Windows 7 though. If it's as good as the beta, I'll probably replace Linux on my laptop with it as much as I love Kubuntu.

Can't wait for Windows 7 though. If it's as good as the beta, I'll probably replace Linux on my laptop with it as much as I love Kubuntu.

Resist the Dark Side, its just more seductive.

lol

I'm one to talk, my current main computer is a MacBook. All my Linux boxes are servers.

One interesting fact about Kubuntu / Ubuntu is you can order the install CD free of charge with shipping covered by them. (https://shipit.ubuntu.com/)

I moved this to a LINUX/MAC/PC forum as it's alittle off topic now from helping out Angela.

Your Mac is unix based so your kind of in the gray area! ;) and you can run Paralles on it (and I love that) (http://www.parallels.com)

It is true the install cd's are free and if you don't mind waiting - the shipping is free for standard snail mail delivery but you can download the DVD ISO and burn your own disks very quickly if you have a dvd burner (And really the bandwidth alone that ubuntu download makes available has to be very expensive as well as it's a HUGE download).

That just shows how amazing to community is. I have used linux for YEARS now and have watched it grow. I have tried them all I think. Mandrake was my favorite for years and I even tried the Corel version but UBUNTU is by far the most commercial (home user friendly) version to date and it would rival the MAC in many instances.

My issue is I hate using WINE to run PC programs and wish a program like parallels was available for linux. The commercial version of wine (cross over - http://www.codeweavers.com) is getting better by the day but I need photoshop and only photoshop5.0 runs stable at this time (I hate to admit it but I use outlook as well and it is not stable either yet but it does run on cross over - sadly it's more stable on a PC and that is not saying much)

Back in the late 80's / early 90's I was a COBOL programmer for the city of Toronto (Unix mainframe - the old giant mainframes with the tape drives and 3 massive air conditioners to keep it cool and I worked on a monochrome dumb terminal) but I must admit I am a GUI person. I HATE command line stuff (Vim/VI/mc) and I much prefer the GUI and I can now comfortable recommend ubuntu linux as it is commercial enough and the GUI is familular enough the the average home PC user can pick it up (about the same as switching from a PC to a MAC - it has a little learning curve as things are done slightly different but it is famular enought that the average PC user can get online in about 5 minutes the first time they sit down on it and feel comfortable after a few days of use.

The synaptic package manager is great and a few more releases and I think it will definatly gain even more popularity. I am sure the price of windows 7 will help influence the sucsess of this. Companies like Dell were giving customers the option of a linux based system too and some of the mini laptops have linux OS options as well ... so all that will help.

The age of tablet PC's is heading our way I think. Bigger than PDA's but smaller than laptops, touch screen like apples ipod touch and comfortable to read news and surf the web on. (am I wishful thinking here? we will see soon enough but that is what my money is on).

I just installed mythbuntu (Making a PVR) but still researching the best video capture to use. Wish it would work with digital cable to but chances are that is not going to happen with rogers. LOL..

Good news to all you Vista users who got sucked into buying this terrible software. Windows 7 is out in Beta me and a bunch of users have been abusing it for weeks and its actually a very good smart OS. It's not a huge resource hog and it does seem to run as nice and faster than XP SP3 on 3G's of ram. My suggestion is to wait and get it when its released.

But! if you really want to have a worry free computing experience then I would suggest getting a Mac. Mac comes with a built-in Apache/Python so with some tweeking you can literally run a server on it, as well as your daily work stuf. Load the winOS and now you can dual boot between mac & windows.

rub

Guest S*rca****sid

Or get a Linux software for with Apache/Python RIGHT NOW.....Free! Load your old windows and dual boot between the two.

Another suggestion.... You can also use http://www.virtualbox.org/ instead of Prallels and as for outlook, thunderbird or evolution are great alternatives.

I would switch to thunderbird in a heartbeat if it would import my outlook rules. Unfortunately it does not (I have tried). I hate outlook but I am committed to it right now.

As for the virtualbox how is the overhead? Have you used this app yet? I have worked with other VM ware but parallels is by far my favorite as it combines mac and pc all on one desktop in Coherence mode (Like you are using one OS).

YouTube Demo of Parallels running in coherence mode

As for the virtualbox how is the overhead? Have you used this app yet?

i'm currently using it on my mac to run a windows for a tax software. it does its job.

Well, I have to say, I love Microsoft, I don't believe I just said that, in reality I hate it, but with all its security holes, I am still in business and it pays well as a security consultant, I am in heaven.

Personally, I have Macs (2 Laptops, one Mac mini, Apple TV, etc) and a Linux box as a server/firewall etc. I would never rely on anything else at home.

I am also running XP SP3 in a Parallels window and it is extremely stable (need it for Visio diagrams). As a matter of fact XP runs faster in Parallels than on a standard laptop, starts up faster and runs faster.

Another solution is to run bootcamp, and to boot in either OS, Mac, XP, Linux, whatever. Its comes with the OS/X leopard install.

MOD, as a TV capture, try Eye_TV, works great, I have it attached to my old Mac Mini (G4) and it works great, record all your shows, and store them in your shared iTunes folder and watch it through Apple_TV, and control Apple_TV via your iPhone. Sounds like and Apple commercial, but it works, I have it running.

I might just have to check that out. I could find new life for my old MAC cube.

I have searched. You can export pst files or run a program that uses Mapi but you must re-enter each rule one by one. It took years to get the rules working just perfect on outlook. I am hoping the guys at WINE come out with some office 2007 or simply outlook 2007 stable run version. I also would like to see a stable photoshop CS run on linux. I like Gimp but I love photoshop and the only stable version is photoshop5.5.

Really right not the only real choice is to go with a MAC and run parallels in coherence mode for the best of all worlds.