Just read that Andy Griffith passed away a few hours ago at his home in North Carolina. My parents loved Mattlock and I remember watching the Andy Griffith show in endless syndication growing up. Andy provided a lot of comfort food to people via television. A sad day.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Yes it is the close of an era. I still enjoy watching those reruns from time to time.

I forget the exact name of it, but there's a thread here called something like, "you know you're old when". Well you know you're old when you remember the Andy Griffith show, and I do.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I was sad to here this news. I can remember watching reruns of the Andy Griffith show when I was kid. I always got a chuckle out of Andy's deputy, Barney Fife (played by Don Knotts). I never really watched Matlock but I do remember all the fun the Simpson's had with Matlock and how it was always playing in Gram-pa Simpson's nursing home. And who can forget that Ron Howard got his whole career started on the Andy Griffith show. So for all the Andy Griffith fans thought I would dig up the opening theme song for his show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lli9ABUFZCU

Sorry to hear the news. Andy Griffiths was a class act.

Thanks for posting the link Tokan. Sure brought back memories. The musician in me wanted to hear the whole theme so for those who are interested, here it is (beginning & closing theme music).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUERL6ITsAE

It was Andy of Mayberry (aka Andy Griffith Show) I remember (yes you know your old) him for

A sidebar, the young folks on here may not know, but Ron Howard, now the big time Hollywood director/producer played Opie, Andy's son on Andy of Mayberry

Good entertainment, even now in re-runs

RIP Andy

RG

Yup, RIP Mr. Griffith. He seemed a real gentleman and was a fixture of my youth.

The Andy Griffith Show itself was a wee bit before my time, but it was still everywhere in syndication when I was growing up in single digits.

To see a *totally* different Andy Griffith, you should watch him in "A Face in the Crowd"; sexual, cunning, manipulative, predatory, full of crackling energy. Reminds you the man had a whole growed-up self outside of Mayberry.

Little bit of video to give you an idea:

• Like 1

It was Andy of Mayberry (aka Andy Griffith Show) I remember (yes you know your old) him for

A sidebar, the young folks on here may not know, but Ron Howard, now the big time Hollywood director/producer played Opie, Andy's son on Andy of Mayberry

Good entertainment, even now in re-runs

RIP Andy

RG

I did know that Ron Howard or Ronnie Howard as

played Opie...and don't forget Don Knotts in his pre Mr. Furley days.

Lived a full and entertaining life. Grew up with the Andy Griffith show, was always one of my favourites, and then looking back to see little "Ronnie Howard".

Rest in peace Andy....

Yep, sorry to hear about it today. I remember watching the show after school years back... RIP Andy.

Listened to the theme on youtube provided by one of the links and then got caught up watching clips of the show. Not gonna lie, almost made me a bit misty eyed.