grounding in basic reading and writing (Moved Post to it's own thread)

English is so fucked up, I can't blame kids for not giving a crap about it although I've always taken pride in trying to learn it as best as I can, but I'm beginning to care less and less.

We should all learn Esperanto and move on with our lives.

http://www.esperanto.ca

http://www.tejo.org/info/index.php?lingvo=en

http://donh.best.vwh.net/Esperanto/rules.html

YoungStud.. I agree with you on the lazy posting.... the "black female born that way" post is a good example of lazy posting as he obviously did not read the post over before he sent it.

I do receive emails all the time like that - I just reply back and say... "I am sorry I have no idea what you asked me can you reply back and possibly read your reply before you hit the send button this time" (... and yes, often the emails are from a blackberry or other PDA). Again I agree... laziness.

I just don't like the general comment YoungStud made here "deficient written English skills that are a result of poor education, laziness or both"

I know it's in reference to the emails/texts like "wotca doin 2nite" and these emails/texts hurt my head too at times but poor education may be a little harsh and saying it must be laziness, poor education or both is a little over the top. It's a new "Texting revolution" (Short hand for the masses).

I have that same sort of attitude .. I say as long as it is ledgeable it's good enough. (and I think I spelled ledgeable wrong here) but sometimes it's not even ledgeable... and usually that is due to laziness but it could be due to other issues as well...

I have really bad spelling and grammar as I have admitted many times... but the reason for my bad grammar and poor spelling is defiantly not laziness or poor education. I just took no interest in English curriculum in school due to a learning disability (dyslexia) that I had to overcome early in life.... because of this I developed some bad habits and ended up hating the "English" curriculum as I struggled severely in school in this subject but where I struggled I excelled equally in other areas.

Funny, if someone has poor command on the english language it's easy to say that he/she must be poorly educated as it's hard to conceal that... but I know some english majors who can not do simple math problems... I don't call them poorly educated because of that but it sure is a lot easier to hide the bad math skills as opposed to the bad english skills. Would I consider them stupid? Of course not... that just is not a strong subject for them.

One area of the brain makes up for another area's deficiencies and backs my point that we are not all made equally. Some people are good at one thing and not another.

We just all need to stop judging everyone. We need to all accept people for who they are and be happy that other people are able to do the things you are not able to do yourself. Getting pissed off at someone for missing a apostrophe or correcting someone's grammar when you obviously know what they are trying to say is just plain ignorant and silly. If you think you are helping them by correcting them you are not... you are actually helping them dislike you.

It you correct your automotive mechanics grammer chances are he is not going to correct your transmission problem but he may help you add a few new choice words to your extensive vocabulary!

Babylon is a great little software. You can keep it on the desktop and look up any word or expression or use it to translate from/into other languages. Just place the mouse on top of a word and push a button.

If you misspell something it asks you 'did you mean ....?' and gives you the proper spelling.

Wordweb is also pretty good and free. It gives you also synonyms, antonyms and examples.

I went to Independent school in the UK, same thing. No uniforms, and a way better education. Plus we had girls at our school, certainly made the teenage years much more entertaining!!! ;)

It's true. My parents pulled me out of public school in third grade and put me into private school. I credit private school to my excellent spelling and grammar skills. It's that "no child left behind" bullshit.

Guest C****** K***e

I agree with you, Erin - I used to get really mad at the slightest sign of grammatical incorrectness (and yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a better word than incorrectness, but my brain is not working today). I've found now, though, that it's a lot easier not to say anything...while I silently judge the really bad examples, I choose to lead by example.

I hate to burst your bubble, but we didn't have to wear a uniform. And I was never naughty in school. Only nowadays. :-P

More prepubescent fantasies shattered! At least you turned out okay in the end. 8)

I think proper communication and what is appropriate depending on context is the real issue here. I accept garbled emails and forum posts because I realize that most of the world is not as obsessively compulsively anal as I am before clicking 'send'. They can get the same point across in 30 seconds of typing where I'm taking 5 minutes to dot the i's and cross the t's. Perfectionism is a horrible disease and there is no cure...

Texting, "How r u doing 2night?" is OK, even though I still can't bring myself to do it. Typing that on a keyboard is lazy. And what started this thread in the first place? An ad on CL about a "horny cokkege student trying to pay the bills", or something like that. Yeah, it's just a typo and it probably was a scam to boot but jesus, it's the headline for an advertisement - take a fucking look before you hit submit! If I see an ad for, "Me and my horny romy wanto fuk u, were hot", I ain't going there no matter how hot and how low your rates are. The brain is the most important sex organ and chances are, those types won't be stimulating it.

• Like 2

MOD said, "It's a new "Texting revolution" (Short hand for the masses)."

I would venture out and say that you have to be quite smart and educated to learn shorthand, and you must know the language your shorthanding to begin with!

MOD said, "It's a new "Texting revolution" (Short hand for the masses)."

I would venture out and say that you have to be quite smart and educated to learn shorthand, and you must know the language your shorthanding to begin with!

That's what I am saying it is an evolution, just like "the" replacing "thee" 200 years ago, why can't "u" replace "you" ? does every word still require all the vowels? we cn figure it out very fast cnt we? My head works the opposite way when see LCBO in my head I think "lickbo" not L.C.B.O.

Good point, mod. I did forget those who have good intentions but who also have learning disability. Didn't mean to dis anybody who has a good reason why they don't write English as well as some of us would like to see.

Putting down people with dyslexia for less than perfect written English is kind of like putting down former PM Chretien because his face looks a bit odd. I was never a huge fan of his, but I did resent when his opponents used a medical problem as a reason to ridicule him in a campaign ad a few years back.

So, apologies to anyone who has a good reason for writing less than perfect English.

YoungStud

I just don't like the general comment YoungStud made here "deficient written English skills that are a result of poor education, laziness or both"

I know it's in reference to the emails/texts like "wotca doin 2nite" and these emails/texts hurt my head too at times but poor education may be a little harsh and saying it must be laziness, poor education or both is a little over the top. It's a new "Texting revolution" (Short hand for the masses).

I have that same sort of attitude .. I say as long as it is ledgeable it's good enough. (and I think I spelled ledgeable wrong here) but sometimes it's not even ledgeable... and usually that is due to laziness but it could be due to other issues as well...

I have really bad spelling and grammar as I have admitted many times... but the reason for my bad grammar and poor spelling is defiantly not laziness or poor education. I just took no interest in English curriculum in school due to a learning disability (dyslexia) that I had to overcome early in life.... because of this I developed some bad habits and ended up hating the "English" curriculum as I struggled severely in school in this subject but where I struggled I excelled equally in other areas.

Good point, mod. I did forget those who have good intentions but who also have learning disability. Didn't mean to dis anybody who has a good reason why they don't write English as well as some of us would like to see.

Putting down people with dyslexia for less than perfect written English is kind of like putting down former PM Chretien because his face looks a bit odd. I was never a huge fan of his, but I did resent when his opponents used a medical problem as a reason to ridicule him in a campaign ad a few years back.

So, apologies to anyone who has a good reason for writing less than perfect English.

Hi Young Stud,

It is big of you to apologize. :)

As I said, it has always been easy for me to remember the spelling of words, and I can say without bragging that I am pretty good when it comes to languages, but I have never looked down on those who don't have the same gift.

There are other talents I will never have, no matter how hard I try. Everybody is different.

Not very long ago people judged those who were left-handed, gay, dyslexic or otherwise different.

I will neve forget a documentary about a young girl who had a disorder, I can't remember the name of, but she had involuntary movements and uttered strange noises when she tried to talk. At first glance, she made the impression of a mentally handicapped person.

After she was given a device with the help of which she was able to type words and communicate her thoughts, it turned out that she is highly intelligent and she just got her university degree.

Judging without trying to understand is not only wrong, but it can be very cruel. If we are good at something we should be grateful and shouldn't judge others.

Edited by a******s.m*****e
typo