The Thirtieth Olympiad

Several hours from now the Olympic Games open in London. I am looking forward to them and will make an effort to keep some contact with what is happening despite it being such incredible summer weather.

It almost boggles the mind to see what these men and women are able to do in the various athletic venues and to try to appreciate the levels that they perform at. For all of them it is the culmination of many years of personal sacrifice and training.

Despite being a celebration of sport and athletes it cannot be ignored that there are political overtones and intrigues throughout. I realize that at times I am like the ostrich with my head inthe proverbial sand, but I truly hope that the games can proceed with the athletics being able to rise above the politics.

May our Canadian athletes perform well but most of all, may the games be an entertaining and safe and successful for all.

Let the games begin.

Is there a place that we can watch it online? at least the ceremony? I don't own a TV anymore :/ but I really want to see them!

i think TSN or CTV but not sure if you have to pay or not...those channels are broadcasting them.

go Canada!

Is there a place that we can watch it online? at least the ceremony? I don't own a TV anymore :/ but I really want to see them!

I would try first at http://www.ctvolympics.ca/ and an alternative might be at http://www.rwcfoxtv.com/london-olympics-2012-opening-ceremony-live-stream-online-hd-video-tv-coverage/

I believe coverage begins at 4 PM EST. Good luck.

Wow! That was certainly a sight. I watched all the way from the start to the beginning of the athlete parade. A big "history of the United Kingdom" pageant.

I can't say it --moved-- me exactly, but I respect the accomplishment. I have to admire the spectacle, and the amazing feat of logistics it took to pull that whole thing off.

I spent the best days of my life in London, not far from where the stadium now sits... so I'll watch a bit of the Games, though I really don't care who wins anything. Mostly I'll just be rooting for my favourite city on the planet, hoping everything goes fantastically for them. (Despite Mitt Romney's now-infamous misgivings.)

Yup, good point. I thought the UK might be better (with prostitution being all legal there and everything, so why try to hide it?) but it's true there too.

What a shame.

I hate opening ceremonies but I'm a big fan of the actual athletics and competition. Looking forward to watching as much of it as humanly possible. Go Canada and Boo USA!

I also don't particularly care about the ceremonies. What I --love-- about the Olympics is the chance to see so many sports that you never, ever get to see at any other time.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with hockey or football or soccer or baseball or basketball. But seeing fencing and weightlifting and archery and handball and rowing and... far too many others to mention is a wonderful change from the usual fare.

...officially, this is "The Games of the XXX Olympiad".

It strikes me that there are some notable omissions from the sports being contested... :)

I also don't particularly care about the ceremonies. What I --love-- about the Olympics is the chance to see so many sports that you never, ever get to see at any other time.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with hockey or football or soccer or baseball or basketball. But seeing fencing and weightlifting and archery and handball and rowing and... far too many others to mention is a wonderful change from the usual fare.

Completely in agreement with you! I would add badminton, table tennis, gymnastics, etc., etc.. Ahhhh.. life is good! :icon_lol:

Here's an item of interest to the community:

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/blog/post/debate-should-pole-dancing-be-considered-an-olympic-sport

pole_0.jpg

Seriously, I thought the games were awesome, and London did a great job. How could you not be moved to see such excellence, skill, dedication, training, and yes bravery? And these were just the performers in the closing ceremonies :) (Jessie J is a new fav.)

Enjoyed the closing ceremonies -

The Who were great, great last song My Generation. ..very fitting.

Eric Idle singing, Always look on the bright side of life. ..great performance

Not a big spice fan but it was fun to see.

And Queen with Jessie J, she sounded awesome.

The Spice Girls all looked stunning, at least in the middle distance shots that the cameras were using. Really hot. :)

And yes, closing with The Who was perfect. "See me, feel me...."

I love the tribute to John Lennon singing "Imagine". Also love the Queen with JJ - only wish Freddie Mercury were here (RIP!). The Spice Girls were fun to watch!