I've been (was) a huge Dexter fan from the day 1 but this year has been very disappointing for me and find it a real task to watch it now. I'll hang in til the end but versus Breaking Bad which is concluding at break neck speed Dexter feels like its limping to the finish line and it might have stayed one or two years too long at the dance. It's really too bad and kind of like Weeds at the end it has become a parody of itself.

Peace

MG

I've been (was) a huge Dexter fan from the day 1 but this year has been very disappointing for me and find it a real task to watch it now.

Then you might give the audiobooks a shot. The story I'm listening to seems much fresher and truer to the earlier seasons. Obviously they turned the TV series over to some screenwriters and they farked it up.

• Like 1

I've been (was) a huge Dexter fan from the day 1 but this year has been very disappointing for me and find it a real task to watch it now.

Then you might give the audiobooks a shot. The story I'm listening to seems much fresher and truer to the earlier seasons. Obviously they turned the TV series over to some screenwriters and they farked it up.

I agree with JoyfulC. If you preferred the earlier seasons definitely check out Jeff Lindsay's novels which were the basis for the show. They still retain that sense of "fun" and black humour that the more recent seasons of the show have been sorely lacking. They're a lot of fun. The only one I wasn't crazy about was Dexter In The Dark. The premise was a little out there....even for Dexter lol. But it was still a lot more fun than the last few seasons of the show have been.

The order to read them in can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Lindsay_(writer)#Fiction

The first season of the show was based on Darkly Dreaming Dexter but it's still different enough to be an entertaining read. Every other book in the series are entirely different stories from the show.

• Like 2

Tonight will be the night when we'll see how the popular series ends after 8 years. I'm still hoping against hope that he and Hannah would be successful in freeing to Argentina and starting a new life there together. Perhaps a wishful thinking? :icon_biggrin:

Tonight will be the night when we'll see how the popular series ends after 8 years. I'm still hoping against hope that he and Hannah would be successful in freeing to Argentina and starting a new life there together. Perhaps a wishful thinking? :icon_biggrin:

Ahhhhhhh, the love fairy tale happy ending...

To be honest, and not that I don't like or appreciate happy endings, but for a drama series such as Dexter, I would be highly disappointed if they chose to go that way.

I can't wait to see tonight's episode!!!

BB is also on so it's going to be a great TV night! :)

I just caught up on the series last night, and I share this wish! I really hope they make it, I like him as a human being after all, and I love the two of them together. I have a very strong feeling though that Deb's current predicament will keep him in Miami, and keep him as the monster we all know and love.

Ahhhhhhh, the love fairy tale happy ending...

:)

I know - I am a romantic and a-fairy-tale-happy-ending loving SOB, and a naive one at that! lol.. jk..:biggrin:

Cleo has a good point - although it is not a life-threatening wound Deb has sustained, he might find it's his responsibility to stay and take care of her, which means he and Hannah will be split up. I am not liking this scenario!

I know - I am a romantic and a-fairy-tale-happy-ending loving SOB, and a naive one at that! lol.. jk..:biggrin:

lol

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those types of endings too but since Dexter is a dark drama series (we're talking about a lovable character but nonetheless, a serial killer here lol), I would be disappointed in the above scenario.

It might be great to see Dexter, Harrison and Hannah live happily ever after but where's the drama in this? ;) lol

lol

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those types of endings too but since Dexter is a dark drama series (we're talking about a lovable character but nonetheless, a serial killer here lol), I would be disappointed in the above scenario.

It might be great to see Dexter, Harrison and Hannah live happily ever after but where's the drama in this? ;) lol

I agree that from a storytelling point of view that ending would be kinda lazy and lame all things considered. However I think a somewhat positive or humorous ending wouldn't be such a bad thing. There's been way too much "doom and gloom" in the series since Rita's death. Heck....even Masuka isn't funny anymore. I miss the fun, darkly humorous series I got hooked on 8 years ago....I wouldn't a mind a hint of that at the ending.

I don't think he'll live happily ever after with the woman of his dreams in Argentina...but I also don't think he'll stay in Miami...where would be the closure in that? That would just feel like the ending to another season...not a series ending. They've been hinting at how sad Jamie is about losing Harrison so I think Dexter will be forced to leave without him...leaving him in her care. The way it's shaping up I can see him being forced to leave Miami alone and "take his show on the road" so to speak. That wouldn't be such a bad ending.

But I have a bad feeling we'll get some super bleak, ultra depressing ending as that has been the overall tone and feeling of the series for the past several seasons.

Cleo has a good point - although it is not a life-threatening wound Deb has sustained, he might find it's his responsibility to stay and take care of her, which means he and Hannah will be split up. I am not liking this scenario!

I'm a sucker for a happy ending as well but I would be surprised if it happens that way. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I can't wait to see!

The way it's shaping up I can see him being forced to leave Miami alone and "take his show on the road" so to speak. That wouldn't be such a bad ending.

But I have a bad feeling we'll get some super bleak, ultra depressing ending as that has been the overall tone and feeling of the series for the past several seasons.

**SPOILER WARNING!!** but then if you don't want spoilers you probably shouldn't be reading this thread lol.

Now did I call that shit or what?! :p

I actually rolled my eyes at his internal monologue at the end when he's taking his boat out into the hurricane "I destroy everyone I love" ugh....I HATE uber-emo Dexter!

Yeah....could have been better. Could have been worst too. A solid 5.5 out of 10 I guess.

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat

So....

Michael C. Hall has now been in what I think is one of the best series finales ever (Six Feet Under -

) and one of the weakest I've ever seen (Dexter). I was hoping they would redeem the last few seasons with a really good ending. I guess all the talented writers are working on Breaking Bad....

So very true. I'm the kind of person who buys shows I like on dvd because I occasionally like to revisit old shows and watch them from beginning to end (like a big long movie! :p). But I honestly can't see myself doing that with Dexter now.....the ending is oh so important to any story. If a movie is 3/4 awesome but the last act turns to shit....chances are I'm not going to watch that movie again. Which sucks because I have seasons 1-7 on dvd which are now just expensive paper weights lol.

i feel the same, i watched last night, missed sleep to watch the series finale to my fav show, and it fell WAY short... now i have 1-7 and probably wont get 8... destined to be an incomplete set i guess

Dislike!!!!!

I have just finished watching, and I agree with you... and it is so full of loopholes! So, Dexter is not really dead, are they planning something like a Season 9 in the future?? Despite the bad reviews of the Season 8 though, I still think the last two seasons of Heroes and Lost were a lot worse.

I'm picking up the last novel in the Dexter series today entitled "Dexter's Final Cut". I'll probably start reading it after my current book. I'm hoping it'll be a better finale than the show. I have a feeling it will be. The novels have managed to retain that sense of fun and dark humour so I think it'll be a good read.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Guest h****sho***9

Having watched the show since day 1. It seems to have been unfullfilling the last few seasons. That being said, I am okay with the ending. He took care of business and got out of town un-noticed.

And just remember, you can never cancel anything out fully....Case and point "24" one of the best series i've ever watched and now coming back. If Jack had been killed off it would have been all over, so who knows...Dexter may be back after all.

Guest realnicehat
Having watched the show since day 1. It seems to have been unfullfilling the last few seasons. That being said, I am okay with the ending. He took care of business and got out of town un-noticed.

And just remember, you can never cancel anything out fully....Case and point "24" one of the best series i've ever watched and now coming back. If Jack had been killed off it would have been all over, so who knows...Dexter may be back after all.

Took care of business? He wussed out and lost everything. I (and I think a lot of people) were hoping for the original Dexter to return, the one that drew us in eight seasons ago. The badass Dexter who "owned" Doakes. The Dexter with a dark passenger, not "confused by love" Dexter.

If they wanted to keep going they should have just let this years villain win. Then we could all tune in next season to Oliver.

I think I would have stronger feelings about the series finale if the whole last season hadn't slowly eroded any interest I had in the show.

It was just so riddled with plot holes and bad writing that I knew there was no way they could turn it around in the last episode, but with the way it played out, by the end I just didn't care what happened to any of the characters.

Very disappointing.

Yesterday I started reading what I believe is the last novel in the book series, Dexter's Final Cut. Only about a hundred pages in and already I can tell it'll be a much better ending than the show. The novels never lost that sense of fun, dark humor and wit that the show lost after season 4.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yesterday I started reading what I believe is the last novel in the book series, Dexter's Final Cut. Only about a hundred pages in and already I can tell it'll be a much better ending than the show. The novels never lost that sense of fun, dark humor and wit that the show lost after season 4.

Posted via Mobile Device

So I just stayed up till 3am finishing Dexter's Final Cut.....yes it was that good lol. It's official that I much prefer the novels to the show....these books are so much fun....except now I am reeeeaaaally hoping that this was not the last book! I'll be pissed if it was as it sort of ends on a cliffhanger...I hate, hate, HATE cliffhangers! :p Really hoping the title "Final Cut" was just a play on words since the plot surrounds the filming of a "Miami-Metro police dept" based tv show with Dexter working as a technical advisor (ironically enough lol). I just tweeted the author to ask if there'll be another book....hoping he says yes!