Can You Be Friends With A SP/Client

I agree with this completely. I have clients who happen to be SPs and some of those client-SPs have become good personal friends. I know their family and they know mine. When we see each other, we understand whether we are seeing each other as friends or if either one of us is seeing the other on a professional level. Keeping the boundaries intact allows our friendship to become one that includes the highest level of trust with each other.

On the other hand, there are clients that are SPs that see our business relationship purely from a professional standpoint and prefer to keep it that way.

Maybe it sounds odd, but it has worked for us for quite a few years.

I think it's definitely possible to be friends. Like SPs, attorneys charge for their time and I'm friends with an SP and my attorney.

I think some of the posts here are not taking into consideration that there's different levels of friendships. I'm not talking about true friendship vs real friendship. But a friendship scale that starts off as a little over the level acquaintances, and highest level being best friends.

I can't speak for others but I can say that my relationship in both cases is over that of an acquaintance but wouldn't classify either as my best friend though I value their friendship all the same.

I think as long as both parties know where the business-friendship time boundary begins and ends and nobody is taking advantage of the other person then a true friendship can truly blossom.

I've shared things about my personal life with my SP that I don't normally share with people and vice versa. Was that fake? I don't think so. Neither of us was under any obligation to share those things but there was mutual trust that made us feel comfortable enough to share.

I hope this long post makes sense.

I see your point but, for this man, I cannot compare the business of a car dealership with that of intimacy.

The purchase of a car or the servicing of the car is very different to paying for sexual services, in my opinion.

I am in no way comparing the two. I am talking about a successful business person's approach to dealing with friends in business. Very different discussion.

Guest c**io**m7
I am in no way comparing the two. I am talking about a successful business person's approach to dealing with friends in business. Very different discussion.

Fair enough...I apologize for any misinterpretation on my part. :-)

Being an SP is a legal profession.

I can be friends with anyone who's job is a legal profession.

That is except for someone who is a parking meter maid :)

• Like 2

Guest Miss Jane TG
I agree with this completely. I have clients who happen to be SPs and some of those client-SPs have become good personal friends. I know their family and they know mine. When we see each other, we understand whether we are seeing each other as friends or if either one of us is seeing the other on a professional level. Keeping the boundaries intact allows our friendship to become one that includes the highest level of trust with each other.

On the other hand, there are clients that are SPs that see our business relationship purely from a professional standpoint and prefer to keep it that way.

Maybe it sounds odd, but it has worked for us for quite a few years.

Sorry for the intervention here! Are you suggesting that you are an attorney who does have sexual interactions with two of his clients? Please clarify?

This thread has been on the go now for a couple of years and I would be interested in knowing if peoples opinions have changed..... has the reality reflected what you had thought... If you, like me thought that it was possible to establish a friendship with an SP ... has that happened? or if you thought friendship was not possible has that proven to be the case?

For me personally I have met several ladies who I consider to be my friends .... I would have argued that there was really No reason why there could not be business relationship and a true friendship. In reality my experience has been that this is much harder to maintain than I would have expected. This probably reflects the fact that I have had unrealistic expectations regarding what a friendship should look like.

What has been your experience.....

Friendship is an overly used word, it carries a lot of weight to me. A friend, could see me at my worst, ugly, cranky, sick what have you. A client that is a "friend" would never see me this way.

My clients who almost meet that friend status, are acquaintances. Like I may wish them happy Birthday, Christmas, perhaps give and seek advice. At times helping each other out in emergency, etc.

While ago I had a nasty flu, one of my clients friends offered to bring me flowers and medicine, but NO WAY would I do that. I would be embarrassed to be seen puffy, hair a mess, sweaty, crying, ugly PJ's hahahha. Nope!

My true friends are mostly my family and Hubby. I keep few people near and dear to me, and they get most of my focus in life.

• Like 2

I certainly have a couple of actual friends whom I see as a client. Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I understand how some hobbyiests, SP's or MA's would prefer never to have this type of scenario in their lives, but myself and those I am friends with would rather not miss the opportunity to have someone of quality in their lives.

Since I keep very few actual friends in my life and have no use for those who brag about how many cyber friends they have, if I call you a friend, then you will be so till the end of my days.

Edited by spud271
  • Like 3

Friendship is an overly used word, it carries a lot of weight to me. A friend, could see me at my worst, ugly, cranky, sick what have you. A client that is a "friend" would never see me this way.

My clients who almost meet that friend status, are acquaintances. Like I may wish them happy Birthday, Christmas, perhaps give and seek advice. At times helping each other out in emergency, etc.

While ago I had a nasty flu, one of my clients friends offered to bring me flowers and medicine, but NO WAY would I do that. I would be embarrassed to be seen puffy, hair a mess, sweaty, crying, ugly PJ's hahahha. Nope!

My true friends are mostly my family and Hubby. I keep few people near and dear to me, and they get most of my focus in life.

I see a big difference between someone being a friend and someone being an acquaintances. I think most of the ladies I have met I would agree the relationship has been more of an acquaintance than a friend we have met enjoyed each others company... been friendly and would be happy to meet them again. In a small number of cases I have met SP's who I have gotten to know fairly well and they know me equally as well and in some ways better than many of my civilian friends. These relationships are for me personally the most fulfilling and at the same time the most challenging to maintain.

I see absolutely no difference between "Friend" or "Acquaintance" personally in my life.

A "Good Friend" however. They can be be the Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Perhaps in police custody or just crapped their pants. Doesn't matter. you are gonna help out a Good Friend no matter what.

• Like 1

I see absolutely no difference between "Friend" or "Acquaintance" personally in my life.

A "Good Friend" however. They can be be the Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Perhaps in police custody or just crapped their pants. Doesn't matter. you are gonna help out a Good Friend no matter what.

I guess it comes down to terminology... what you are referring to as good friend was what I was equating to "friend" someone you would help out as you said no matter what.

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't read this entire thread but wanted to contribute. I could never be friends with a SP because I'm old fashion about that. I have many female friends, a few are good friends that I would doing anything for. These female friends are in their own way very attractive and sexy but I would never think about having sex with them because sex with a friend leads to intimacy and everything that comes with that. So if I see a SP for sex, I would not consider being friends with them. In the same way as before, it would lead to intimacy and everything that comes with that. I'd end up wanting them to be my SO and loosing her as a SP. Loose-loose situation.

Having said that, I've met several SP that I know I could be friends and/or good friends with if we didn't meet in this hobby life.

• Like 1

In a word yes

In my life I have a circle of acquaintances that I like and call friends.

But I have a very small close circle of people, like four, who I can count on, they can count on me, who are trusted close friends

One of these people happens to be a professional companion

What do you call someone who you trust without reservation or hesitation

What do you call someone who is as open and honest with you as you are with her

What do you call someone, who when times were bad (yes really bad) managed to put a smile on your face and brighten your day and make those tough times easier to deal with. And what she did touches my heart to this day and I'll always appreciate and remember it

What do you call someone who is more friend to me, than my family is family to me

I call this person a close trusted friend

About the only thing unique in a friendship in this lifestyle, my other friends don't know her and she doesn't know them. But that doesn't make her any less a friend

Any more details, well that is private. I am very happy to have met this lady and appreciate the friendship that developed

She knows who she is, and what I truly think of her. And to you, thank you again for our friendship

A rambling

RG

Can You Be Friends With A SP/Client

I don't see why not, old sport, but obviously it can get tricky and can lead to complications down the road.

I'm ashamed to say I fell for a young lady last year and I was head over heels nuts about her. I fell hard but she obviously didn't feel the same way (and in hindsight, I'm glad she didn't). It took me about six to seven months before I could put her out of my mind completely. Now, I just do what Mr. Spock from Star Trek does: I use kolinahr, the Vulcan ritual of purging all emotions. Now, life is good again!

• Like 1