hat mitt & scarf drive ... gimme your input please :)

thinking of doing a drive for the needy before the cold weather hits ... and offering a small reduction in rate for those who bring me a new pair of mitts, a hat or scarf for donation to the Salvation Army.

QUESTION : Is it a huge pain in the arse to find / bring a donation like this to an appointment? Is it something you wouldn't bother with, or would it set of red flags with your SO etc ...?

Just trying to gauge the interest and see if its more trouble for my clients than it's worth. I might have to find another way to help if so.

Thanks for your thoughts xo Jessica

• Like 3

I'm bringing a garbage bag full ;)

I think it would be fine. I mean donating to a "work" clothing drive. Depends in what time it is whether or not the SO would question things. For me at least.

I have donated to the Snowsuit Fund for years, a similar concept and great idea.

As far as bringing items to encounter, I don't see this as any issue. The items you suggest are small and can easily be put in a bag and brought to you.

We've done Christmas toy drives at the Ottawa socials and had great success. As far as flags, no such issue as I would suggest that these shouldn't be hand me downs and be purchased so that they can be given without without having to wash them.

Make the suggestion, but I don't honestly see why you should feel you have discount your rate to encourage a little charity.

Great idea ... I see it being a bigger problem for you having to transport them all from place to place.

thinking of doing a drive for the needy before the cold weather hits ... and offering a small reduction in rate for those who bring me a new pair of mitts, a hat or scarf for donation to the Salvation Army.

QUESTION : Is it a huge pain in the arse to find / bring a donation like this to an appointment? Is it something you wouldn't bother with, or would it set of red flags with your SO etc ...?

Just trying to gauge the interest and see if its more trouble for my clients than it's worth. I might have to find another way to help if so.

Thanks for your thoughts xo Jessica

No way would it be a pain in the arse, and I would do it even if there weren't a discount. Or I'd suggest you take the discount you'd give me and add it to a cash pot for the charity.

If I were doing this I wouldn't choose the Salvation Army. While they do many great things, they have some issues with GLBT folks that make them an unattractive charity for me. But that may be just me.

Magical SP social-good-doing-power ON!

• Like 3

I would do it even if there weren't a discount. Or I'd suggest you take the discount you'd give me and add it to a cash pot for the charity.

I was thinking the same thing ... excellent idea contraman.

It's a great idea. I've seen this work very well, and it is a terrific time of the year to get started so guys can contribute before the weather gets much colder.

I've also seen food bank donations for discounts, and/or I think what the guys say here is true, they pay the regular rate, but bring the items for donation anyway.

It's a great way to give back, and feel good while you are feeling good :)

For around 2-3 dollars of cash donated it can feed one person that is need of food. I normally donate $200.00 for the food bank,or buy that much in grocery and drop it off to our local food bank.

I also donate/collect snow suits for the local Snowsuit Fund in Ottawa.

You are a good person,and that is what it is all about,giving back to those in need especially around this time of year,but they also need the continued help throughout the tough times.

I would rather pay full fee with you and make contribution to your cause. Thanks for this thread.

And there is a social group regarding further info on this. Posted link below.

http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=46

I've also seen food bank donations for discounts, and/or I think what the guys say here is true, they pay the regular rate, but bring the items for donation anyway.

I agree, I would be willing to just pay the regular rate and bring a donation. I wouldn't be worrying about a discount.

Guest C**Tra****er

Wonderful idea! I wouldn't have any problem bring hats, mitts, jackets, kids toys etc. anything for a worthy cause.

Guest K***e D****ls

I agree with the masses- this is a great idea. I highly doubt it would be a problem for anyone to bring these items. They aren't things that are difficult to explain and they are easy for the gents to go out and get to bring to you.

Wonderful idea, wonderful cause and in my opinion would be quite easy to make happen....and I personally wouldn't even consider accepting a discount !!

It very much warms my heart when I see folks wanting to help those that are less fortunate....especially as the winter months loom on us.....good on ya Jessica :)

And if you do need to explain to a SO, just say someone at the office was starting a hat and mitt drive. Easily done.

Porthos