What Scares You?

Guest S**a*Q

I've been watching horror for far too long, and while I've seen a lot... Nothing tends to scare me, or make me jump.

The closest to this was Pet Cemetary, when the cat falls out of the tree.

Being Halloween and all, I figured this a perfect thread.

What movies scare you?

What scares me more than anything are things that are unseen but exist only in the mind.

Several of Stephen Kings novels were beyond - The Shining and believe it or not, Christine. How could a book about a haunted car be so terrifying!

In film, an older movie named Poltergeist is one that I would never watch again, at least unless someone was here for me to hold onto!.

Modern films tend to include lots of blood and gore and that doesn't do it for me. Alfred Hitchcock and the old TV series Twilight Zone call upon your imagination, and that's where the suspense and truly terrifying things lie.

If you can find this short story, be prepared to shiver inside. http://www.enotes.com/two-bottles-relish-salem/two-bottles-relish

"What evil lurks in the minds of man?"

I'm with mrnice on this one. Prolonged exposure to horror films has inured me to the bumps and boos of Hollywood films (but some do it better than others!).

However, if I start to doubt that I understand or know what I am seeing it really creeps me out. My mind hates the idea of not being able to trust itself. There are many examples of this kind of thing but one of the best is still that very old novella by Henry James called "The Turn of the Screw". I'm still not completely sure I know what happened there.

Guest *ig*a**

My wife on a rampage scares the hell out of me. But the movie that gave me the chills was the First Nightmare on Elm St.

Posted via Mobile Device

while not "a movie" the "Demon with a Glass Hand" from the Outer Limits scared me when I first saw it in 1964, and still does

I don't watch many horror movies any more for the reasons mentioned above, all blood and guts, and not much to make you think

the original, 1968, "Night of the Living Dead" was/is pretty scary ... I first saw it 41 years ago at a Halloween midnight show

the last good horror movie I saw was "Cabin in the Woods" ... and it was as much mystery thriller as horror

Usually movies that are about the occult, devil. The omen, the exorcist, Amniityville horror they haven't made any good ones in a while, jmo,oh, texas chainsaw massacre creeped me out as I suspect there are actually people like that somewhere. BOO !

Guest C**Tra****er

Walking into a dark room and suddenly the lights come on and I'm surrounded by people dancing to Gangnam Style by Psy.

I like watching a good themed horror movie, you know...one that gets your hair to stand up on your arms,you get goosebumps....your nipples get erect...you want to grab onto something, or you turn your head not to watch for the split second.... The Shining...Silence of the Lambs

shining_179_100__1351698504_4811.jpgtop-25-horror-movies-of-all-time-20101013024659592.jpg

But I would have to agree with Peachy "The Exorcist"

top-25-horror-movies-of-all-time-20101013024656639.jpg

Peachy maybe we should get together and have a movie date, you can tweak my erect nipples :)

th?id=I.4964467512902346&pid=15.1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I am going to watch the 'The Rite" tonight a very modern Horror Flick!

Just about any horror movie, so I just avoid them. When I was young (a couple of years ago, lol), I used to hide behind the couch to watch scary movies.

I figured at my age, that might not look as good, especially if my kids were around....

Aside from religious fanatics (form any denomination) or political extremists, anything that plays a mind game. Asian horror has recently been a new fave as it's not as stupidly goring as some of the recent hollywood fare. More psychological in nature. Something like "The Audition" will do more for me in the scare department.

A good horror book does more for me as it's not as visually restricting, that is i make my own scary thoughts (not being confined to the visuals of the movie directors, or their interpretations of a good story). Lovecraftian stories (from Lovecraft himself), Brian Lumley, etc...

again, not a movie ...

but, what scares me right now is the evil thoughts running through my mind as I hand out candy to young ladies who are way overdeveloped for their age ... the last one was dreessed as a vamp and as she bent over to hold open her loot bag I got a downshirt view that just about made me drop the candy ... LOL

Guest Ou**or**n

I swear they are getting older and the costume's a bit more revealing. I just had a Snow White that sure as hell made me wish I was a dwarf. I think some college girls our out having a bit of fun tonight.

What scares me the most is not a movie.. But the fact that my 14 year daughter is developed and looks likes she is much older....

As for scary movies, I can't watch movies like Saw or Hostel, most others don't do anything to scare me.

while not "a movie" the "Demon with a Glass Hand" from the Outer Limits scared me when I first saw it in 1964, and still does

I don't watch many horror movies any more for the reasons mentioned above, all blood and guts, and not much to make you think

the original, 1968, "Night of the Living Dead" was/is pretty scary ... I first saw it 41 years ago at a Halloween midnight show

the last good horror movie I saw was "Cabin in the Woods" ... and it was as much mystery thriller as horror

Holy crap - Saw it originally back in '64 on TV. Loved the show. I ordered that episode from a local video store in the 90s. Took awhile, but got it in VHS. Starred Robert Culp. Filmed at the famed Bradbury building in LA (where they also filmed part of Blade Runner). Thanks for bringing back the memory.