Assumptions about higher/lower volume providers

It comes as a surprise to me that there are some who may equate lots of ads and advertising with a heavy volume of business (however THAT may be defined). I guess I do not see the connection between the two.

There is a cliche that says' "Assumption is a dangerous thing," and this may be an example of that.

Despite that statement, I do make assumptions based on advertising and online personna. My assumptions however are not based on how many ads or posts that a provider has but rather on the quality of the ads and posts. I do make very positive assumptions when I see creative ads, well written ads, and sincerity, depth and glimpses of the woman behind the SP in her posts on threads.

The other aspect of the original thread related to volume. Since I am using cliches here, there is one that applies to me and as written previously on here it applies to some others as well. "Ignorance is bliss." How many people a woman sees is something that I just don't need to know and neither is it something that I want to know.

Interesting topic Nathalie.

• Like 1

Guest Ed The****

I do not make assumptions about anyone as I feel it is not my place to do so. Some people like to spend more time at work and some don't depending on what else is going on in their lives. If someone chooses to put in the extra hours that is none of my business. When I was young, I spent a lot of time at work in my profession because I enjoyed it and was able to do the job with a high degree of professionalism. We are all different and we have different levels of tolerance to hours of work. I used to frequently put in as much as 100 hours a week on the job when I was young trying to gain further experience and knowledge. I could tolerate it and learned a lot hence making me better at my profession and more in demand. People, regardless of their profession, should be able to work as much as or as little as they want without others passing judgment upon them or making assumptions. I maintained my standards and those of my employer and often exceeded them all while ensuring I never burnt out. Nope, no assumptions on my part whatsoever. Do what's right for you. Besides, if you are good or great at what you do that's what matters!

Edited by Ed The****
Correction to spelling.

Interesting thread Nathalie!

Personally, I've never even thought about it (that is, making assumptions about volume based on the number of ads).

If you can be high volume, go for it. I totally admire you. I can't. I've got the attention span of a fruit fly and one or two per day is enough for me. Plus, like you Nat, school sort of consumes my life right now.

Just to clarify, I meant generally! If you're a high volume provider cool! If you're a low volume provider cool. If you're in between, cool! I wasn't trying to say Nathalie was a high volume provider. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Berlin

When I see a posting or multiple posting from a lady for the same day, the only assumption I make, is that she is available.

How many ppl she has seen that day is really no one's business but the SP.

Like someone else mentioned as long as I don't meet the last guy or meet the next guy.

The low volume/high volume discussion has been going on for as long as I can remember! I was asked about it regularly when I was young, running for an agency and still receive the odd inquiry about it today. I've never understood the preference but I respect the people that have it because I expect them to respect my preferences as well.

Life is a cycle with busy times and slower times. This industry is far more susceptable to the ebbs and flow than most and professional providers realize that just because the requests are there today, they may not be there for many days ahead and we have an obligation to try and maximize those requests when they come in. In an ideal world, we would have our daily quotas in front of us and know that we will see the required number of guests each day to ensure our bills get paid but this isn't an ideal world. Days, even weeks go by with little work and the bills pile up. If there is demand, we must do our best to see as many clients as we can handle without compromising ourselves or our service. The bottom line is that when a provider declines an appointment due to volumn she is taking a substantial business risk. The client could go to another provider and decide not to return. Losing one regular for a $200/hr provider is an average loss of $2400 per year.

The key for a provider is knowing herself well enough to realize when she's entering the red zone of slipping service or health risk. When I was young and foolish, I worked for an agency one summer where I booked on May 24 weekend and didn't book off until Labor Day. I never slept more than 3 hours at time but still only averaged 4 appointments per day for the whole summer. That's 1 call every 6hrs. I then slept for the entire month of September! It wiped me out physically, emotionally and mentally. I certainly wasn't a high volumn provider that summer but I had to invest the time to ensure I was available when the phone rang.

There are very few independents who are revolving door, it can't be done effectively because we can't do the administration AND perform the services simultaneously. A provider may be able to effectively book a couple of days per week solid but that takes time, planning and last but not least; the demand needs to be there for it to all click. And all that is assuming she has the required phone, scheduling and preparations skills needed to be able to fill her calendar consistently and provide the services which imo is a rare mix.

I see this concept of revolving door providers as a kind of industry myth that gets bantered around by people with "ideals" but little practical knowledge of the sex trade. When you actually look at the mechanics of the business, it's almost impossible to achieve even for well run agencies. For example, there are times when clients might pass each other in the hall of hotel incall but chances are high the provider waited hours for those two clients and it was simply coincidence the required appointment times were close. When I had my agency, it never failed that I would get multiple requests simultaneously and ensuring the guests received timely service was always my main concern because of the difficulties in logistics. For a very brief moment in time the demand would outstrip the supply. Then when the phones died down, everyone sat and waited. Again. Most of my girls averaged 2-3 appointments on a 10hr shift. If I hired enough providers to fulfill the temporary demand, the ratio dropped to 1 call per shift which isn't enough to keep quality providers under contract.

The point of this little stream of consciousness babbling is that the assumptions are made without having an understanding of the nature of the industry. Perhaps with a little more understanding of the business the assumptions will decrease...

cat

• Like 4

As a business owner myself, providing product in a specialty/niche market of my industry, I too am subject to the demands and schedules of my customers, while also being benchmarked against my competition, whether here, around the corner or around the globe. My ability to provide quality product and timely service is directly related to the volume of business I have at any one given time.

If I accept an order and have difficulty or issues in filling it, or make mistakes, that will have a severe and obvious impact on whether or not the customer decides to give me repeat business. How busy I am may or may not be a factor in my ability to meet my customer's needs and expectations. If I take on the business knowing that I will have issues in performing as required then shame on me. But there are also times when I know that completing the project will be challenging for me, but either the customer or the nature of the work or the project itself has great interest or opportunity for me, so I take it on and know that I have to be at my absolute best in order to gain that client's trust and faith in my abilities and hopefully secure the majority of their work whenever they again require product or services in my area of expertise.

I don't advertise much as I'm not a commodity item, and I have nothing to offer my client base unless or until there is a demand for my product. Does that mean that I'm a low or high volume producer?? In order to succeed in my industry I have to work on two things. Firstly, I have to educate my existing and potential customers as to the services and solutions that I can provide, updating them on anything new or changes to my offerings, thus creating demand, and secondly, I have to be prepared to service those clients when they come to me to satisfy the demand.

The first generates the traffic, the second hopefully keeps them coming back. Sometimes I have a lot to communicate in order to try and create demand (thus posts or ads), at other times I am just busy enough looking after my existing work and upcoming orders.

We all note how this "industry" is different than most, but is it really?? Yes, it is deeply personal and much more intimate, but still it all comes down to quality and service, working together and meeting or exceeding expectations. Those of us (client or provider) who can manage their time, their behaviour and their performance will usually find the right balance and achieve success.

And, as a hobbiest here (and not the business owner above) let me ask the same original question but in a different light. Do the ladies here make assumptions about the type of client we might be by the number or frequency of our posts?? Does a higher post count, or more frequent participation in chat or shoutbox mean that the gentleman is a high volume hobbiest?? As a low count poster myself, does that mean that I see very few ladies or does that make me any more or less desirable as a client?? Does it really matter at all?? We all have our preferences and we all make choices that are influenced by our perceptions and our prejudices. The challenge, and indeed the opportunity, is in overcoming those and finding what we each seek with an open mind, respect and gratitude for what each of us both bring and offer with each and every encounter.

• Like 3

A thought...

If one SP sees a 250lb guy for an hour, and another sees two 125lb guys for an hour each, haven't they both seen the same volume of guy?

(Sorry. It's been a long week.)

• Like 2

More thrown in for discussion. Are there, on the ladies' part, assumptions about higher/lower volume hobbiest's. In other words, guys who see SP's very frequently (a few times a week for example) versus the average guy (sees SP's about once a month) versus the guy who occasionally sees a SP

(maybe three-four times a year)

My bet, no assumption whatsoever, by either ladies or gentlemen. And my point, really should even the question about assumptions about higher/lower volume be asked...seems like kind of a double standard to me, and unfortunate that it needs to be asked IMHO

Just a thought

RG

• Like 1

More thrown in for discussion. Are there, on the ladies' part, assumptions about higher/lower volume hobbiest's. In other words, guys who see SP's very frequently (a few times a week for example) versus the average guy (sees SP's about once a month) versus the guy who occasionally sees a SP

(maybe three-four times a year)

My bet, no assumption whatsoever, by either ladies or gentlemen. And my point, really should even the question about assumptions about higher/lower volume be asked...seems like kind of a double standard to me, and unfortunate that it needs to be asked IMHO

Just a thought

RG

One big assumption! The frequent hobbiest have a much higher paying job. =P

• Like 1

There is no SP cleaning fairy ( thanks Phaedrus!) who magically makes us clean overnight.

Just catching up on this thread... I should, perhaps, point out that despite there not actually being a SP-cleaning-fairy, I don't strap a pair of wings on my back and tour Ottawa with a scrubbing-brush at night either :)

Sorry if anyone's disappointed by that...