I love playing scrabble, chinese checkers but I think it's time to get a new game, getting a little bored of those two. Anyone have any games they play they would like to recommend or know of any new ones that are fun to play for 2 or more players?

I love playing scrabble, chinese checkers but I think it's time to get a new game, getting a little bored of those two. Anyone have any games they play they would like to recommend or know of any new ones that are fun to play for 2 or more players?

There is an ancient board game described in the website of tradegames.org.uk.

A short introductory para. is quoted here -

"Wei Qi (also spelt Wei-Ch'i) as it's known in China, Baduk (Paduk or Pa-dok) as it's known in Korea or Go, as it is known in Japan and generally in the West, is considered by most Oriental game experts to be the worlds greatest strategic skill game, far surpassing Chess in it's complexity and scope. Most people who have played it would agree with this conclusion and, unlike chess, no computer program has yet been written which has been able to compete with the best Go players. Wei-Ch'i means "surrounding game" or "surrounding chess" and the object is simply to capture territory by placing down counters on the board.

Wei Qi is the most perfect of board games from several perspectives...."

I really enjoy the game, albeit a computer version of the game.

Just far, far too many to name. If I had to pick one without knowing exactly who I'm recommending it for, it would be Arkham Horror. It's a cooperative game set in the 1920s in which the players, as a team of "investigators", try to stop the end of the world at the hand of the malevolent Old Ones and their minions.

See here for more information: Arkham Horror

The best resource on the 'net for boardgames is: Boardgame Geek

Here's Boardgamegeek's list of community favourite games for exactly two players: Two-player games

And the best Ottawa store for finding boardgame like those you'll read about on that site (including Arkham Horror) is the venerable Fandom II, located downtown at Laurier and Elgin; but it's a bit of a geek cave (I say affectionately) so be prepared.

The "euro-games" like Carcasonne (or Settlers of Cataan) are good at encouraging cooperation and indirect competition, versus the traditional "I attack you!" American-style games that reigned for so long, and this can make them better candidates for family play. Ameri-games are for kicking your buddy's ass in cutthroat competition on the tabletop.

Although it definitely is more fun to play with three or more players, Settler's of Catan (especially with some of the expansion games like Knights of Catan or Seafarers of Catan) is a very fun game with friends. Of course you will always have this type of conversation during the game

Another fun game with an interesting twist is Pandemic http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/pandemic.htm

The twist is that all the playes co-operate in trying to win the game. You would think that playing co-operatively would not be fun but it is throughly frustrating game as it's pretty tough to win and sometimes you can do everything right but the cards go against you. This was our game of choice this New Year's Eve. Even though only four players play at once a major part of the party goers were cheering us on as we attempted to save the world. Then after we lost, a new batch of "experts" took over and failed even worst which promoted a newer group of "experts" to try. There was never a lack of players as people wanted their chance. Also, many non-board game types found it fun to play as there wasn't the competitive pressure to win between the players. You ccould ask for help on your turn as everyone had a vested interest in making sure you made the best move possible.

I got Mr Bacon's Big Adventure recently... you have to sail through the Sausage Sea....and fight your way through the Weiner Wasteland...

dd3d_mr_bacons_big_adventure.jpg