Are you a fan? Quebec just introduced a ban for those under 18, in Nova Scotia it is for those under 19yrs. On the news they said they cause the most damage for those under 35.At one time i was using sunbeds almost daily, I was certainly tanned, now if I want color I just use tanning creams, what is your method of tanning if any?

I just wonder if pale skin is more envogue now as I'm frequently complimented on my milky coloring.

I used to tan in the summer, not via tanning beds though. Just outdoor wise. BUT no more :(

I am very fortunate to have good genes which have given me a very nice facial complexion and really nice soft skin too ;) and I want to keep it this way for as long as I can . I don't want to mess my skin up by tanning.

The creams, while I like them-I cannot be bothered. Pale skin is in :boobies:

• Like 3

I use to tan but developed a connective tissue disorder (not sure if from tanning) now tanning makes my skin react and causes symptoms.

I now use Neostrata natural instant tan. Haven't found any other product with same instant results. It's rather pricey though.

• Like 1

I love pale skin. Tattooed or clear, creamy pale skin is very attractive to me. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice tan too. But, given a choice I prefer un-sun cured skin.

From a health perspective, damage done before the age of eighteen shows up later in life. I love to lay out in the sun and bake. Now, I am much more careful. I use plenty of sun screen and keep mostly shaded. You see, I'm 5th generation Irish. My skin is normally a glow-in-the-dark white. I tan just to reach normal skin tone.

• Like 1

I love pale , natural skin .. I used to be addicted to tanning beds , I went daily myself until watching a program on the Discovery Channel (lol) which showed all the negative effects tanning has on ur skin , those in the moment and in the long run ..

In my opinion , 15 mins in a stand-up here and there to mantain a tan isn't worth it ! Just stick to the summer sun for a sun kissed glow ..

Edited by Guest
spelling

I got to admit I love tanning.., preferably by natural sunshine.., I just recently started using tanning beds.., was never a fan of it.., but one day decided to give it a try and I do visit a tanning studio or salon just to maintain and enhance my naturally tanned skin... All with measure as everything in excess can be harmful..

Also use lots of creams to regenarate and give the skin back some nutriens and keep it nice and soft :)

• Like 1

A tanned body does look nice and healthy. Many people go to tanning salon to get their wonderful tan. If they do, they should be aware of the risks involved and how to protect themselves.

Health Canada's Consumer and Clinical Radiation Protection Bureau has issued many guidelines and fact sheets regarding this practice.

Here is an excerpt from one of their fact sheets/ publications -

People at tanning salons may tell you their lights are safe. The fact is, their lights may give off five times as much UVA as the sun. Did you know that UV exposure is linked to skin cancer and is responsible for sunburn, eye damage and premature skin aging?

UV rays from tanning lamps have the same effects as UV from the sun!

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/pubs/sun-sol/tanning-bronzer-eng.php

Here is some more info. on sunlight and UV exposure-

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/sun-sol/expos/index-eng.php

• Like 1

i love the sun and to tan. that is one of the reasons i go south in the winter. i have tried tanning beds before i went south but it really didnt help as i got a sun burn. now i take breaks by gonig in the shade for a bit and the pool. but i do love teh feel of the sun and its warmth.also the natural vitamins you get from it.

• Like 2

A tanned body does look nice and healthy. Many people go to tanning salon to get their wonderful tan. If they do, they should be aware of the risks involved and how to protect themselves.

Health Canada's Consumer and Clinical Radiation Protection Bureau has issued many guidelines and fact sheets regarding this practice.

Here is an excerpt from one of their fact sheets/ publications -

People at tanning salons may tell you their lights are safe. The fact is, their lights may give off five times as much UVA as the sun. Did you know that UV exposure is linked to skin cancer and is responsible for sunburn, eye damage and premature skin aging?

UV rays from tanning lamps have the same effects as UV from the sun!

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/pubs/sun-sol/tanning-bronzer-eng.php

Here is some more info. on sunlight and UV exposure-

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/sun-sol/expos/index-eng.php

You are absolutely rigth! I use them aware ofthe risk involved.., the key word here MODERATION... is like everything in life, excess is never good! Everything in moderation has benefits but in excess can be harmful!

• Like 2

You are absolutely rigth! I use them aware ofthe risk involved.., the key word here MODERATION... is like everything in life, excess is never good! Everything in moderation has benefits but in excess can be harmful!

I am glad we both agree on the importance of awareness of the risks and moderation.

• Like 1

As much as I look better with a tan, and could use the extra Vitamin D in the winter, I don't use tanning beds anymore. I think I left well over 200 minutes in my account at the last place I went. But it's been years, so I'm sure they're long gone. Being in my thirties, I knew it wasn't going to help preserve the youthfulness of my skin, so I just stopped. But I do admittedly love the Sun and prefer to be by the pool than anywhere else when it's hot. Waterproof sunscreen!

• Like 2

Although I don't use tanning beds, in the summertime (when I'm down to shorts and tshirt) I'm out fishing. I always apply a healthy coating of sunblock, at least 70 spf and reapply regularly throughout the day.

I also wear a hat and sunglasses while out

And it may just be me, but I avoid sandals while outside for an extended period of time, wore them once and even after apply sunblock ould feel the start of my feet cooking...switched to runners (it was on my boat, had a second set of footwear on board)

RG

• Like 1

Are you a fan? Quebec just introduced a ban for those under 18, in Nova Scotia it is for those under 19yrs. On the news they said they cause the most damage for those under 35.At one time i was using sunbeds almost daily, I was certainly tanned, now if I want color I just use tanning creams, what is your method of tanning if any?

I just wonder if pale skin is more envogue now as I'm frequently complimented on my milky coloring.

I go tanning about once a week @ iTan, like the old saying goes moderation is key. Tanning outside in the sun is just as dangerous but we still do it.

• Like 1