Have you watched any good movies lately?

Guest realnicehat

Just watched the Fright Night remake from a couple of years ago. It's messy vampire fun for the spooky Halloween season. Colin Farrell is pretty good in a role that doesn't require a lot from him.

Less scary than the original or, maybe like the rest of me, my imagination can't stretch as far as it used to......

Still worth a watch if you like your vampires sans sparkle.

Just watched the Fright Night remake from a couple of years ago. It's messy vampire fun for the spooky Halloween season. Colin Farrell is pretty good in a role that doesn't require a lot from him.

Less scary than the original or, maybe like the rest of me, my imagination can't stretch as far as it used to......

Still worth a watch if you like your vampires sans sparkle.

Well anything with Colin Farrell;) in it is worth watching:) I didn't know about this movie-so thanks-guess what I'm going to watch:)

I watched a movie-One shot -with William H. Macy-that was suspenseful and had a karma type ending-I thought it was good. check it out:)

I agree with moviefan..."the butler" is an amazing movie...even Oprah winfrey is quite good playing the butler's wife!

I also watched Wolverine...I'm a big fan of Xmen...It starts slow but lots of action half way and through the end...

Next one to see is men of steel...another "superman" movie i need to see :)

• Like 3

The classic Dracula from 1931 with Bela Lugosi. I'm sure many would disagree with me but I think these old gothic Universal monster movies still stand up today.

They're so much fun! I'm watching one a night leading up to Halloween (kind of a tradition for me lol).

dracula-bela-lugosi-HD-Wallpapers.jpg

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat

Just watched Insidious. Not mind blowing but a good selection for the Halloween creepfest.

Just watched Insidious. Not mind blowing but a good selection for the Halloween creepfest.

I think I'm going to have to re-watch this one. I am fairly certain I turned it off halfway through, not liking it at all, but most horror fans love it so maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

And, it's the second film on this list - http://www.listchallenges.com/the-greatest-horror-films-of-the-past-5-years

I just watched 'Absentia', the first one. LOVED it. Great in so many ways - no big Hollywood cast, no huge effects. It's a monster movie, but manages to be CREEPY AS FUCK without ever really showing you anything. One of those movies where you watch it, think, 'That was good, then a few minutes later, shudder, and you can't get it out of your head. So really, it was more than good.

• Like 1

Just watched "Bad Milo!"

I could totally understand how this ridiculous premise may not be for everyone lol. It's pretty low brow. But I for one was thoroughly entertained.

A great horror-comedy which in a big way is a love letter to all those "little monster" movies from the 80's that I used to love so much (Critters, Gremlins, Ghoulies, etc). Right down to the ass-demon himself who...like all those other little monsters from the 80's....somehow manages to simultaneously be horrifying and freakin' adorable! :p Plus the use of purely practical effects and puppetry in a modern movie (No CGI!!) was a HUUUUUUGE breath of fresh air for me.

A ridiculous plot which is brilliantly executed, and as a result ends up being surprisingly hilarious and oddly heartwarming.

bad-milo-retr334o.jpg

Saturday night and Sunday morning w/Albert Finney 1960, enjoyed very much.

Eye of the Devil w/David Niven, another good old b and w brit flick.

Tomb of Ligea, creepy old Vincent Price flick.

Mama w/Jessica Chastain(I think that's her name), a ghost story, enjoyed more than I thought I would.

I'm more of a documentary film kinda gal. Real life is much more exciting, controversial and entertaining to me than most things that anyone could ever make up.

Just watched Blackfish. Trailer:

"A mesmerizing psychological thriller with a killer whale at its centre, Blackfish is the first film since Grizzly Man to show how nature can get revenge on man when pushed to its limits."

Saddest shit ever. :( It's all about the "Sea Circus" industry and one special orca in particular named Tillikum, who has faced hardship his whole life, and is now swimming around in a tiny wet jail cell all alone, sad and lifeless.

Happy to say I've never visited a SeaWorld or similar establishment, and never will. The "education, research, conservation" spiel they feed people is corporate propaganda bullshit. It's all for $$$.

Watch this doc.

• Like 3

Speaking of great documentaries, Sharkwater, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te5MeQUX4kk. A little graphic and heartbreaking at times...but it will really open your eyes and hopefully will wipe Sharknado, Jaws and all that other dumb crap from your minds.

Since I have begun to learn more about sharks, and after seeing this doc. I literally cannot watch Jaws anymore (it was once in my top 5 favorite movies of all time). But Jaws is just so far off base, and so irresponsible.....the negative impact it has had on the public opinion of sharks is undeniable. I can't think of any other single movie that has ever been so damaging to a species.

Edited by castle
  • Like 1

The Sixth Sense. Wow. I saw it in theatres when it was released in what - 1999 I think? And haven't watched it again until now.

It's strange to watch a movie with such a twist to it, knowing the twist the entire time (watching Fight Club the second time was similar). But now I was able to watch the entire film knowing what happened, and you can see it the whole time now.

Watching it a decade after the 'I see dead people' parodies have died off was nice too.

What a great movie. And a great cast. Two paws up from this kittycat.

• Like 3

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. A classic :p

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

In the halloween spirit.. a movie that made jump and scream a few times a couple of days ago... The Conjuring...

OMG! I will never watch that movie. Everyone I know said they walked out on it in theaters because it was too scary (I can't even watch the previews of scary movies...THAT and I always need cuddles later. So who ever I watch a scary movie with has to agree to cuddles later lol)

A funny movie (IMO) I watched recently was "For a good time call..." It was about two friends who operated a phone biz together.

• Like 2

I watched a damned good documentary earlier today: Saturday Night Live, The First 5 Years. I had no idea that John Belushi was a male chauvinist pig who didn't believe "chicks" were funny, and who demanded that Lorne Michaels fire women.

Damn, I miss the 70s! :)

• Like 1

Watched White House Down yesterday thought it was awesome, action from start to finish

• Like 1

Watched the horror "Mama" the other day. Had some nice twists for the genre and if you like that kind of thriller I'd suggest it.

Also, came across this movie guide which gave me a laugh. Figured people on this thread would appreciate it:

funny-movie-recipes-cliches.jpg

• Like 1

Operation Petticoat (1959) with Carry Grant and Tony Curtis.

"World War 2 comedy about a submarine commander who finds himself stuck with a decrepit (and pink) sub, a con-man executive officer and a group of army nurses."

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948 ) with Carry Grant

"A man and his wife decide they can afford to have a house in the country built to their specifications. It's a lot more trouble than they think."

If you ever think of building your own home, watch this movie first. Having been there, done that, I can tell you first hand the movie doesn't exaggerate much, if at all.

• Like 1

On Nov 11, one of the Remembrance Day movies

"The Longest Day" about D-Day It's in black & white

An ensemble cast with some big stars (John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Sean Connery, Henry Fonda to name but a few)

RG

• Like 1

Guest ChantalSummers

I recently saw The Counselor. It's super intense and suspenseful!! Definitely check it out if you like flicks like that. It has Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz in it.

Just saw the movie "The Host", suppose to be a horror movie, but it is about an alien race that takes over the earth, by taking over human host. I wont' say much more, but I enjoyed it, turned out to be a bit of a romance movie. I thought it was well done.

• Like 1