Privacy and cell phones

Ugh. I really hope this one gets appealed!

In the meantime, just one more reason to clean out contacts and call logs and text messages (don't forget the ones you sent, too!) once you no longer need them. Irrespective of password-protection, the police can't search through what isn't there :)

just put a pass code on your phone

that requires a search warrant to access.....and that is not easy with a cell.

• Like 1

Bonjour ma belle Gabriella,

Thank you very much for the timely information concerning police access to a person's cell phone.

As antlerman says: all the more reason for password protection. Get to it folks. Tick, tock.

My phone is actually set up for password protection to kick in each time i turn it on or it sits inactive for a bit.

It is not a problem to enter in 4 numbers when you want the use of the device..... Compared to the problem if you phone is stollen or accessed by some one else

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest S**a*Q

I just passworded both phones a week or two back, while it's a little bit of a pain in the ass, I don't have to worry about my leaving either phone on a table if I step out of a room anymore. :D

Now this article... I'm very happy my phones are passworded now.

after years of having a password protected, company supplied smartphone, I enjoyed the simplicity and speed of not having a password on my new personal iPhone ... but, I finally got around to adding one ... too much of my life is on that phone

now I should go find the app that takes the user's picture if they enter the wrong password three times in a row and then emails the picture plus their GPS location to your email address

• Like 1

It is a mistake to rely too heavily on technology for sure. Even texting everything, like for this biz, can lead to problems somewhere down the road.

fwiw, border security does not need your permission to go thru your cel phone and laptops. You would be required to give them the passwords.

This usually refers to a foreigner entering a country, so a US or other coming to Canada, or Canadian going into the US for example.

The written word is proof. And saving proof on a phone or computer can lead to real problems.

fwiw, border security does not need your permission to go thru your cel phone and laptops. You would be required to give them the passwords.

Well, you're not absolutely required to. You can sit in a cell for as long as you like :)

But yes, your broader point is correct: customs/immigration agents generally have MUCH greater powers to search and detain on their own authority (ie without judicial oversight) than the police. The problem is that when you cross a border, there's a point where you've left one country but you haven't yet been admitted to another, and at that point there's not much law at all...