For Those Of You Who Wear Progressive Lenses...

So, I just picked up my first pair of 'progressive lens' glasses today... I'm getting old! --lol-- Anyway, the optician told me that it can take awhile to get used to them, since they are a departure from my single vision lenses. The only problem I have is that on occasion things go a bit fuzzy, and I have moments where I have trouble focusing. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips on how to adjust? Thanks!

It is quite normal. Took me about two weeks to really get used to mine, now I'd never go back. i think it just takes your eye time to adapt to having three (in my case) different lenses. Now when I drive I look automatically through the lense for distance, when I read/do computer work I look through the lense for reading, and the third lense just allows me to naturally focus from distance to up close

It does take adjustment, but only about two weeks, at least for me it did

RG

• Like 1

Instead of tilting your head down to look through them, focus your eyes down. It gets some getting used to, but you will adjust.

I have invisible ones.

• Like 1

Thanks RG and Angela... it sounds like I have the same type of glasses you do; that is, the ones with three areas of vision. Mine are distance, intermediate and reading. I'm actually surprised that I'm only having a bit of difficulty as I was prepared for the worst! haha...

In all seriousness though, I'd read up on them a bit before I got my new prescription. I discovered that the measurements the optician takes must be very precise for the lenses to function properly. However, when it came time to be fitted for them, the optician told me to look straight ahead at her, then to turn my head and look to the right, and that was it! For some reason I thought there would be more to it than that...

I had the same experience as RG and Angela. Now I don't even realize I have progressive lens. It just becomes automatic.

At first, though, I thought I'd never get used to them.

Porthos

• Like 1

I could joke that I have never got used to mine, and that is because I occasionally have to "hunt" for the right head angle to see something in focus

last year I got a pair of reading glasses, set for 2 to 3 feet away, and they really help with reading a book or computer screen

• Like 2

I could joke that I have never got used to mine, and that is because I occasionally have to "hunt" for the right head angle to see something in focus

last year I got a pair of reading glasses, set for 2 to 3 feet away, and they really help with reading a book or computer screen

I know for myself, when reading a magazine or the newspaper, I find it easier to take my glasses off

For work, when I'm inputting on the computer from a file, progressives are great, the file is close, the computer screen and keyboard a little further away, and I can see all clearly

And distances, no problem seeing at all

RG

• Like 1

My experiences are the same as what has already been expressed.

A word of caution. Until your eyes have adjusted, be very careful when descending stairs. When I first started wearing progressive lenses, I almost tripped several times going down stairs.

• Like 2

ive been working with eyeglass for ten years , actualy going to college now to have my optician license ! if you want a quick adaptation , DONT alternate between youre old glasses and youre new one. you will have to adapt you're head movement to !for exemple, going down a set of stairs lower you're head and not you're eyes . keep in mind that compared to a single vision lense you're prescription is not spread out in the whole lense , they are a lot of different progressive lens out there and depending on the store you went to , lots of them start you of with cheep crap just to make an extra dollar ! they are a few question an optician should ask when you purchase progressive , the most important one is what do you intend to use them for mostly : are you a light reader , do you spend lot of time on the computer , do you work in an office where you will be reading a lot etc , as i said there is a lot of different lens out there ! not that i want to advertise for a company but one of best lens out there is NIKON , they are definitely worth the difference in price ! another factor is , the care given by you're optician as mesurment are VERY important in fitting a customer with progressive ! if you have different question , dont hesitate to pm me !!! have a good day

• Like 2

ive been working with eyeglass for ten years , actualy going to college now to have my optician license ! if you want a quick adaptation , DONT alternate between youre old glasses and youre new one. you will have to adapt you're head movement to !for exemple, going down a set of stairs lower you're head and not you're eyes . keep in mind that compared to a single vision lense you're prescription is not spread out in the whole lense , they are a lot of different progressive lens out there and depending on the store you went to , lots of them start you of with cheep crap just to make an extra dollar ! they are a few question an optician should ask when you purchase progressive , the most important one is what do you intend to use them for mostly : are you a light reader , do you spend lot of time on the computer , do you work in an office where you will be reading a lot etc , as i said there is a lot of different lens out there ! not that i want to advertise for a company but one of best lens out there is NIKON , they are definitely worth the difference in price ! another factor is , the care given by you're optician as mesurment are VERY important in fitting a customer with progressive ! if you have different question , dont hesitate to pm me !!! have a good day

Thanks for this... I requested Nikon lenses because when it comes to my eyesight, I'm not cutting corners. I need to wear my glasses all the time in order to be able to do anything, so yes - definitely worth spending the extra money. I also invested in a second pair, just in case.

I just picked up my new pair today, prescription has changed, glasses look clearer, but getting to them will take a day or two.