maybe it's better to be ugly

Oh my sweetest Cristy I admire your love and compassion of all animals, I feel the same as you when it comes to their safety, but! I don't think I would be as patient to try to educate the abuser... I would personally show them the same pain they have caused a helpless animal.

• Like 2

Thank you Cristy for this link. It reminds us that there are so many animals out there that just need a break. I have an ugly cat here too. He looks like he is 100 years old, walks like he is 100 years old and is skin and bones. I took him to the vet for a consultation - not sure if euthanasia was needed, as I hate seeing cats suffer.

Well it turns out, he is actually sorta healty. So I neutered him, treated him for parasites and fleas. They even went out of their way to clean him up, got rid of the burdocs that were so deep in his fur. Brushed him and sent him back to me.

He was never a pushy cat, just patiently sat on my deck waiting for dinner. He now lives in my home and has adjusted well. I know he is not adoptable. I will never pass a cat on to someone I am not sure of his health issues. He might have thyroid problems, so one day when I have some extra cash, I will get some blood work done for him.

For now, he is slowly gaining weight, his fur is much better. He loves being cuddled and brushed.

I will always confront those that abuse animals. I have a neighbor that throws rocks at the cats around our place even though she has 3 cats herself. She knows I run a rescue. Her kids of course do the same thing. So, I started taking them with me when I went to feed the cats. They didn't understand why I was feeding so many cats. I explained to them these were stray cats that did not have a home. They didn't have anyone to feed them and take care of them. That they slept outside all the time, even in the winter and bad weather. They tried throwing rocks once while at my place and I told them in no uncertain terms that they were not allowed to treat the cats this way on my property. I even took it a step forward and explained that it upsets me when they do this to ANY cat or dog. I don't think they have ever had someone talk to them like an adult (of course in kids vocabulary) and explain this.

Weather or not they ever get it, I think that by introducing them to a moral lesson that all animals deserve respect and it is their responsibility to threat animals the same way they want to be treated.

• Like 3

Oh my sweetest Cristy I admire your love and compassion of all animals, I feel the same as you when it comes to their safety, but! I don't think I would be as patient to try to educate the abuser... I would personally show them the same pain they have caused a helpless animal.

Thank you, I do feel the same as you, I would like to make those that hurt suffer but I have come to realize sometimes those that are causing such cruelty are sometimes the victims of it themselves, that doesn't justify their actions, but sometimes understanding and educating or offering a helping hand can do more good and create a domino effect of kindness. :)

• Like 1

Guest B**na***oy

You keep amazing me Cristy, you're such an all around carring sweetheart.

Although I would never hurt defenseless animals, I don't have the same level of compaction you do and I profoundly admire what you do and who you are. A great human being.

Thanks.

About 20 yrs. ago I had a friend who was complaining that she couldn't stop her daughter from dragging their dog around by his hind leg...so I asked permission to try something that might work. When I got the OK I grabbed the girl by her leg & proceeded to drag her around...after some time I asked the little girl how she liked it & of course she didn't...she never did it to the dog again. Moral of the story... Do on to others as you would like done on to you...including animals!!!!

Thanks Cristy...hope I get to meet you some day!

• Like 1

If people only knew how we mistreat animals in so many ways. Medical research, food industry, cosmetic industry, killing of rhinos for their horns, sharks for their fins, seals for fur and so on. My friends often says Im a cynic. So be it. humans are terrible to animals and their environment. My hope is with education and the internet which we didn't have when I was growing up, people will learn to care more for people, animals and the earth. There is a great line in Jurassic Park by Jeff Goldbloom. "Your scientists were so caught up in the fact the could, they never stopped to consider if they should" (may not be exact lol)

• Like 1

Thank you, I do feel the same as you, I would like to make those that hurt suffer but I have come to realize sometimes those that are causing such cruelty are sometimes the victims of it themselves, that doesn't justify their actions, but sometimes understanding and educating or offering a helping hand can do more good and create a domino effect of kindness. :)

Ok then between you and I we have a plan, you educate all animal abusers to become more respectful and caring to all animals and I will take care of the ones that laugh at your efforts..

• Like 1

Let's not forget how humans also are cruel to their own kind! There are about 7 billion people on this planet and only about 500 million have what we would consider a high standard of living. So, if a human grows up not getting affection, or love then he/she will take out their frustrations and anger on others and animals.

• Like 3

I couldn't imagine my Rambo or Sadie going through what poor ugly did. It makes me love my kitties so much more. Those guys make me so happy. My heart goes out to all the Uglies in the world. Awww, this is so sad.:( :(

I volunteer at a local animal shelter and won't go into some of the atrocities I have encountered. It is truly heart breaking to know that anyone could be so cruel and/or uncaring!

Last year I found two baby bunnies desperately swimming for their lives in my pool. My neighbor said to let them drown. Instead I displaced my rats (into a ventilated cardboard box) so the bunnies could recover from their trauma in a comfy cage. His reaction was appalling to me!

Thanks for sharing that video Christy!

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Watching that was the closest I came to crying in a long time!

My wife is a lot like you Cristy when it comes to animals, I suspect. She will capture and release hornets, spiders, etc. that get in our home... even moves worms from the driveway if she thinks I could back up over them!

I admit, When we first were dating I thought this behavior was over the top but eventually as I came to understand her love for animals, I started to feel the same way she does. We have since saved many stray cats over the years, paying to have them fixed and adopted. Unfortunately, I am allergic to cats and can only handle the one we have. A while back she found a starving feral male cat hanging around our backyard and fed him. He wasn't adoptable and when she couldn't get him in a shelter she found an insulated cat home online(even had a heating pad) and I bought it so the cat would be warm outside over this past cold winter. He was a tough, mangy cat but he slept every night in that house and waited on the porch every morning for my wife to feed him. Eventually he would let her pet him and treat his wounds which he seemed to get regularly. I was amazed how she was the only one who could get near him.

Sadly, after my wife tried nursing a particularly deep wound, he limped out of our yard one day and never came back. She was devastated and kept searching for him for weeks!

If more people were like my wife, and you Cristy, the world would be a better place. How we treat animals says a lot about a society.

Steve

You should of put a warning before viewing the video. Made me tear up at work. I was a little hesitant to watch cause I hate animal cruelty as well. It's sad to see animals like that. I used to live out of town in the country where for some reason people would always dump their unwanted pets on the side of the road. Which eventually found its way to where we would care for it as much as we could. Unfortunately we would have to give them up cause we would get too many.

Ugly does bring back a few memories of some we found. Just wish I could of thrown some of the owners out of a moving car like they would to their pet. We even once found a bag with 5 kittens in it once very sad.

• Like 1

I do want to add, that there are rescue organizations that will help you spay or neuter your cat. There are websites set up (kijiji is one) that will help you find a home for your cats too. Did you know that you can spay a pregnant cat? Most people think that once the cat is pregnant, it is too late. In reality, vets do spay cats up to the moment they go into labour.

If you own a cat that is not altered, it is imperative to spay and neuter them. This is your responsibility. If you cannot afford to do this, reach out to the rescue's - they will help. If the first one says they can't help, keep looking until you find one that does. And yes, you do need to neuter your boys, not just spaying the girls. It cuts down on fighting, spraying, wandering. In girls it cuts down on mammory cancer and uterine cancer too.

I do get people that question why it is so important to do cats and not dogs. Well, we really don't have a problem with stray dogs in this country. They generally don't have endless litters like cats do (cats can have 3 litters a year, with an average of 5 kittens). One un-altered cat couple can potentially produce 9 million unwanted cats in 9 years.

I always ask, are you part of the problem or part of the solution? If you do not own cats, or can't own one, consider making a donation to a cat rescue. Every little bit helps and you will be blessed for this.

• Like 1

I agree with your statement Meagan, the problem with stray cats is people think they are disposable and don't need to spay or neuter them, especially males. But unaltered male cats roam around impregnating the stray females and the cycle continues. They say there is a colony of over a thousand strays living in point pleasant park/Halifax alone. When are people going to take responsibility for their stupidity and recklessness? I believe to make a difference the laws have to change, people have to be punished more severely for cruelty and for being irresponsible owners, but then the politicians would have to do some work!!

• Like 2

Guest Ot**w***og****n

Being a person who loves all life especially our little furry friends I was very hesitant in watching this. Needless to say I am crying my eyes out right now as I would have adopted this little fellow from the onset, loved him and protected him from abuse. I am emotionally fragile these days due to the recent death of my wife and throughout her illness and subsequent passing my wonderful cat has been there with me through it all with her unconditional love of me. She is all the family I have left now so when I see a dog or a cat being abused I become very upset by it all. Over the years, I have contributed funds to the SPCA and the Humane Society in Ottawa and elsewhere.

In some ways I can relate to Ugly as when I was a child I was physically abused by people close to me and sexually molested and sodomized by a neighbour's son. For many years I felt worthless and unloved until I met and married my wife who helped make me into the person I am now. All I ever wanted in my life was to be loved as did Ugly.