So I've been noticing lately that new members seem to be starting out here with a buttload of Rep points. now why is that?

when I started out I started out with 1 little yellowish lime greeny little dot and I worked my reputation up just as I'm sure many of us have.

So why do new members start out with over 10000 rep points? That's ALL the little yellowish lime greeny dots plus another green.

I just don't understand how that is fair........... does anyone else know why that is?

• Like 6

I've noticed that too, and am wonderring the reason as well.

Thanks for raising the question Serena.

Rather than starting everyone off at 10,000, maybe the PC posters who get high rep points should have their totals lowerred to 20k or so lol.

From what I can tell all new members start with 5000 rep points. This change seemed to have started the same time as the "new member" flag appeared stating that until you made 5 posts you would continue to see the pop up. My assumption was that to encourage more involvement, more thanks and more comments on threads, after 5 posts, general members had some ability to impact through their participation.

Unfortunately for those who had to earn the first 5000 points it doesn't seem fair that's just the way life works sometimes. It's even worse when this happens with employee wages. I'm not sure the impact it has on encouraging people to post and comment but there have been a lot of new names on threads lately so maybe it is.

Well you'd think if they start all of a sudden just starting people at 10,000 rep points without them being earned then shouldn't the other existing members be given the same free 10,000 unearned rep points?

• Like 2

From what I can tell all new members start with 5000 rep points. This change seemed to have started the same time as the "new member" flag appeared stating that until you made 5 posts you would continue to see the pop up. My assumption was that to encourage more involvement, more thanks and more comments on threads, after 5 posts, general members had some ability to impact through their participation.

ya im talking about people that are still in their probationary period and haven't even done 5 posts yet still

I don't know, i'm not Bitching it just seems odd and I've always been raised to Earn everything you have and not to take hand outs. (i know that handout part has nothing to do with anything its just part of my raising)

But if anything it pops up a thread of discussion for what others think of the random thing that popped in my head today :)

Additional Comments:

Try asking Mod!

No doubt an answer will be provided :)

oh I guess we could, I just don't like to Bug MOD a lot. I'm sure their busy enough lol

Edited by Serena Blake
typos

Well now that you mention it.. At first last week I had 12 bars (was all the way up to the yellow) and from one day to the next I have gone down to 7 bars?? So decided to look at my rep points and they seem to not have been touched but yet to everyones eyes I did not hve the same ammount of reputation

Then yesterday I am looking at this new member with only 3 post and he is half way he has like 5 bars I m like really? I have over 500 post, lots of thanks and nominated posts..

I does seem to be unfair, Its taken me lots of time, post and participation to gaiin my status and reputation.. It kinda makes ufeel cheated

• Like 2

And the old members lose ones. I remember having one and later two orange dots at the end and a few days ago they suddenly disappeared!!!!!. Funny that being here for years and 2500+ posts reviewing hundreds of SPs and close to 30,000 rep points, bringing new ideas to the board, and so much more and end up same as newbies. Not that it is at all important or even matters to me since I am not recently that active on this board but rather I am active on the other board (or maybe this was the reason) but when I saw this thread I thought I add my thoughts.

• Like 2

The other issues is some member use the "reputation" scale as a guide as to how much reliance can be placed on the member's post. Instantansous granting of reputation throws off this scale.

Examples:

Zero posts, 10,000 reputation, and managed to get suspended before even making a post:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/member.php?u=82759

Zero posts, acc't under review, 10,000 reputation:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/member.php?u=34106

Reputation not granted instantly, here is one post, new member yesterday, no reputation:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/member.php?u=84763

But here is some random, registerred May 6, no posts, and hasn't been online since the day he registerred, but he has 10,000 reputaiton lol.

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/member.php?u=84212

What the heck is going on?

Thanks again to Serena for raising this.

• Like 5

Guest *l**e

I know this is probably just me, but I never even notice these points. I had no clue what the colored bar meant till now. Does any of this matter at all?? Because it doesn't matter to me. lol

I'm waaaay too relaxed, perhaps...lol

I know this is probably just me, but I never even notice these points. I had no clue what the colored bar meant till now. Does any of this matter at all?? Because it doesn't matter to me. lol

I'm waaaay too relaxed, perhaps...lol

You are still relatively new here, so you weren't around when these rep points started.....

Its certainly not a big thing, but it is something. If "rep points" are going to be used, its good to understand the methodology in which they are "earned" and accumulated.

When I see a post by someone with 10K points, I am accustomed to trusting the info, now it seems that is no longer the case.

I'll throw a different spin on it. All reputation points are a statistical quantifiable way showing how the CERB community thinks of you. Isn't how someone thinks of you and your contributions far more important than the statistical representation of how you are thought of (is that coming out right?)

For example, and only because I know I have a few rep points LOL, really, if mine were reduced to zero (either because of a computer glitch or whatever) it wouldn't bother me, because I already know how members of the CERB community think of me (and I them), I don't need a number to indicate whether I am liked or disliked.

Now if my rep point number went to zero because for whatever reason I lost respect of the community, then I would like to know, in case something in my actions/behaviour made me lose respect, and I could correct my behaviour (if that makes sense)

Just a rambling

RG

• Like 2

I'll throw a different spin on it. All reputation points are a statistical quantifiable way showing how the CERB community thinks of you. Isn't how someone thinks of you and your contributions far more important than the statistical representation of how you are thought of (is that coming out right?)

For example, and only because I know I have a few rep points LOL, really, if mine were reduced to zero (either because of a computer glitch or whatever) it wouldn't bother me, because I already know how members of the CERB community think of me (and I them), I don't need a number to indicate whether I am liked or disliked.

Now if my rep point number went to zero because for whatever reason I lost respect of the community, then I would like to know, in case something in my actions/behaviour made me lose respect, and I could correct my behaviour (if that makes sense)

Just a rambling

RG

it makes sense to me :)

• Like 1

I does seem to be unfair, Its taken me lots of time, post and participation to gaiin my status and reputation.. It kinda makes ufeel cheated

Miss Passion Vitto Victoria Sexy Pants ........ Your status and reputation is doing more than fine !!! That is because of your participation and most importantly because You are You !!! Awesome ! Don't worry about the bars and the points.

It all works out and good things cum to good people... ;)

I think the points and bars at one point in time used to be a neat thing...yup I just said "neat". and perhaps useful for some as a business/hobby tool. Now I never look at them.

• Like 1

I guess MOD says this is do to a re-calibration of the points because they were having a problem with the system and at one time the system was giving too many or too few points out.

Mystery solved :)

I've always gone off of how many posts people have anyways. Most people who have lots of posts usually have great incite and Information and I trust their judgement and recommendations on this board. So even if the rep points are screwed up, everyone knows if you're a solid contributor or not :D

Then again I always wondered if posting an Ad gets added to your post count.... That would seem unfair to me anyways.

Guest D***el B***e

To me it doesn't matter a whole lot. I check people's profile, and stats, and record of posting, and I make my own call. I don't understand how the points work. I've read the thread explaining how they work but I think there's too much math involved ... 'cause I still don't get it.

I've had my account for just under 7 years but have been a lurker for most of the time. I only started posting regularly to threads about 2 months ago, but I have been signing guests books for longer (but it doesn't bring points). I have a number of points accumulated but reading this thread makes me think I don't have a lot. I haven't figured out what I do with them. Can I use a thousand to buy a french fry or something, I'm hungry?