How do you handle Worry and Stress

Hi I thought I would start this thread on how you handle the common problem of Worrying and Stress in your live's.

I'll start with one method that I have learnt.

Most people worry about something that probably may never happen.

Imagine the worst that can happen in your situation.

Now can you accept the consequences of what would happen if this event should pass.

If so, you do not have to worry any more, as you already you know that you could live with the worst that could happen.

And the odd's of the worst that could happen, will not happen.

So you now longer have to worry any more.

I'm not sure if I explained that correctly. I hope you understand what I am trying get across.

If that doesn't work. Have Sex, it'll take your mind off your worries for a while. :)

Any other hints or tricks that you use to handle stress?

• Like 5

I know just what you mean.

Though I have to admit in some situations if I imagine the worst possible scenario I don't actually find it comforting, or have trouble thinking how I'd accept it! But yes, for most situations your strategy works.

For myself, I find reading is my refuge. I always have a book on my bedside table, and find that even a few pages of an engaging story will distract me from any worries and settle my brain, preparing me for a good night's sleep. Good literature can be a balm.

• Like 3

I try hard to always be positive but when something happens that does get me stressed or feeling worried I get relieve by eating, eating junk food usually, the more the better. Food is good for a lot of things, lol.

• Like 3

One thing which people don't realize is that stress and worry are states of mind which can become habits. Human beings have great brains geared toward learning and occasionally this backfires. Because we learn every moment of every day. Education does not have to occur in structured format's nor does it have to use language. Advertisers know this and as a result modern people tend to be a little over efficient in picking up "knowledge" which quickly becomes a habit.

I have found meditation is an excellent habit to develop in order to counteract worry and stress. There is a cornucopia of resources and styles to choose from, however at their core is the discipline of stepping back from the situation or anxiety so it may be looked at dispassionately. This is not mindless disconnection or blind ignorance. Rather a deliberate shift in one's mental state so that you can become aware of the issues maintaining the anxiety from moment to moment.

One of the key insights is that this does not have to be complicated or a long process. Indeed, if you have stopped to read this thread, you are already momentarily looking at the issues from another angle. Sometimes that's all it takes. Break the pattern.-Stop, Look and Listen to yourself.

PatrickGC

• Like 8

Masturbate and eat cheezies......which explains the orange penis......at least I hope it does...........

• Like 5

A llot of stress I suffer from is what some call 'good stress' , it keeps you wanting to wake up in the morning to see what life is going to throw at you, and anticipating how you will be able to handle each situation! But even this can become overwhelming....

To handle my stress, I like to sit by the ocean, have a smoke and listen to the water as it takes all stresses out of my being. Takes about an hour....if you don't have an ocean nearby, the orgasm previosly mentioned should do the trick!

• Like 1

As some who has had several anxiety attacks do to severe stress/worries I've learned a few simple things that helped me.

Talk about it with someone. If you get to flustered with to many thought due to worrying trying writing it down.

Make a list of different outcomes pro/con

Try and take a break and get your mind thinking about something else. By doing something you really enjoy.

Exercise is really good keeps the body from getting to tense and also send endorphin to the brain which help relieve stress.

Go to bed start fresh the next day.

Stop and get in touch of your body what are you feeling. Are you breathing regularly? Take deep breaths.

These are some technique I've used and it help me.

• Like 3

I used to be a worry wart and used to get bad anxiety as a result of what I couldn't control but I've been through a lot of situations in my life where I've come out on top. Now, if I'm worried about something, I deal with the situation to the best of my ability and let the chips fall where they may.

I no longer sweat the small stuff. Life is too short and there are always options and support available to whatever the problem is. Situations or problems only control you if you let them. You are the one who is really in control and you can let it make you or break you.. Sounds cliché but true.

• Like 5

Guest D***el B***e

I had a really bad burnout from work 20 years ago and swore off I would never get stressed out again for friggin work. I had to be away from work for almost a month. So I started drinking heavily and it worked! No seriously, lol lol, I hardly ever get stressed out but I have to admit occasionally I do, and it was recently. I take my work too seriously and I end up bringing it home. Although, since I bought myself all the man toys a guy can have, I put the pedal to the metal, go nuts on water, snow and dirt, and let the stress flow out ... works like magic for me!!! wanna come for a ride?

Just a quick afterthought:

As I was mentioning meditation as one of the possible ways to combat anxiety and stress earlier in this thread, here is a 12 minute meditation clipped from a introductory course led by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Think of this as the Youtube Cliff Notes version. Covers the basics in a nutshell. Check it out if you're inspired to.

PatrickGC

Edited by PatrickGC
Fixed Typo.
  • Like 2

I beleive in the law of attraction...I'm a positive person and try to see the good side in everything...

Have you noticed when someone says '' I'm always tired,bad things always happen to me...i can't do this, i will never get that...well guess what! It won't!

Try this instead...think positive...I will do this or that and it will work :D

I used to stress a lot about things i had no control over...I don't anymore...I live to the fullest!

Oh...and a good workout i an amazing stress releiver...in the gym or in the bedroom ;)

• Like 1

We all have worries.

One thing that I have learned from the heart farts is that nearly ALL of the stuff that we worry about it inconsequential in the grander scheme of things. I never expected the heart problems and I do understand now that life is precious - if we spend time worrying about little stuff, we forget that today might be the last we'll ever have. LIVE IT WELL.

Do your best to achieve the things you NEED to achieve.

Try to achieve the things you WANT to achieve.

All the rest? Meh. Doesn't matter.

Invest in yourself. Make yourself happy. It's infectious. Understand your responsibilities but make sure that your life has enough balance to keep room for you and your needs too.

• Like 2

Actually, the best way to handle worry is to let it be. Worry is what we (humans) do, and to try and not worry attaches a person to the outcome of having somehow to fix yourself. As soon as I do that I stop enjoying the moments I have, in the mistaken assumption that I need to be anything or anywhere else to be ok. Just as I am able to still love though I am in great pain, I am able to enjoy life even though I worry. Hold worry in your heart like you would a small child needing love, and it will be ok.

I don't stress easy. When I do stress, I wonder if there is a point of it, and I go to sleep. Feel much better the next day.

In view we bring most of perceived stress and worry onto ourselves.

Years ago after a string of deaths of my mother, grandmother and aunt within 60 days of each other I would suffer major anxiety attacks. I'd wake up in the middle of the night in a panic state and felt compelled to either fight or flight, the more I fought them them the worst they got. After a particularly bad one I realized that fighting them wasn't working for me so instead I decided embraced them and when they happened ride them out. I had learnt that no matter how hard they were, they would inevitably end. Once I embraced them, I became less and less panicked when they occurred to a point that when it happens now which is extremely rare and I can easily self talk my way out of them.

In the end it is mind over matter...I decided not to mind so it no longer matters.

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I take a power nap if I can, or go for a walk by the river. Water works for me. Someone has already said masturbation and cheesies.......

Guest webothscore

I find sports kills two birds at once. Creates a diversion from stress and you cannot deny the health aspect.

Edited by webothscore
Spelling

I have actually had to learn to watch myself and listen to my body when it comes to stress. I have actually suffered a partial nervous break down due to stress. The doctor said i was lucky my mind and body reacted the way it did at that time... It could have easily become a heart attack.

So now i know the early signs and deal with it by waking around the building instead of taking a smoke.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for all your interesting feedback.

Stress these days in a major with many people, with the fast pace lives we live these days, with kids, family, work , the internet and so on.

Need to slow down and smell some roses.

Visiting a Cerb Woman can be a good stress releaser also :)

It seems life is getting a lot stressful again. Family, health and Work issues are affecting me again. Any new suggestions on to handle stress?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

It seems life is getting a lot stressful again. Family, health and Work issues are affecting me again. Any new suggestions on to handle stress?

Well, as others have suggested... visiting one of the ladies from CERB always does wonders for my stress levels. :)

Failing that: stress usually stems from situations you feel you can't control. To balance that out, try picking a small task you've been neglecting but CAN deal with, and tackle it. This could be something silly like organizing a crazy cupboard that's always driven you nuts, or fixing something around the house, or really scrubbing your bathroom top to bottom... or something more fun like cooking a nice dinner using a new recipe you've been meaning to try. Anything, even a small thing, as long as it's something you can grapple and finish.

Sometimes exerting just that much control over your environment will not just distract you, but provide a tiny triumph that can help to pull you out of the worrying frame of mind.

• Like 1

I manage a very high stress environment (family dinning restaurant).

I've found the best way to deal with stress is to pause, take a deep breath, count to 10.

Seems to work for me.