How do you handle Worry and Stress

25 minuted of Transcendental Meditation first thing every morning and I try not to let yesterday take up too much of today.

Peace

MG

Guest P*rry

What works for me is exercise and stretching. I let my mind get lost in a good workout. As I work through a routine my focus shifts to the exercise at hand and away from the worries. I do this at the gym, during a walk through the woods or while raking leaves.

Chakra clearing and cord cutting always works for me from people with bad energy, psychic vampires who are mentally and emotionally draining or stressful situations.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Guest Na****a***mers (RETIRED)

Definitely getting a relaxing scalp massage. And of course meditation. I like the full-body relaxation videos on Youtube.

Like a few here, I regularly practise deep breathing or meditation in addition to physical activities such as Martial Arts to counter stress.

Talking about deep breathing or meditation, the lady I saw last night complained to me of having trouble going back to sleep after waking up at night. She said she had only about 4-5 hours of sleep each night due to stress and that she had tried counting sheep but it didn't work because her mind was working so hard trying to remember the numbers. So I taught her how to do deep breathing and to meditate. This morning after I texted and asked her how was her sleep last night, she texted back saying " good sleeping.. & long sleeping.."! lol.. That was gratifying to hear! :icon_smile:

• Like 1

Ah ! I know of this problem all too well... I myself have spent many countless nights awake in bed with stress and worry snowballing out of control. However, with age comes experience and with experience comes wisdom ( am I correct?) and although I'm at the still relatively tender age of 25 I've had plenty of experience. I have learned about a little thing called acceptance. Accepting what I have no control over, and literally saying this mantra over and over to myself when times get tough seems to help. Looking at the positive (literally writing out gratitude lists) allows me to contemplate each unique stressor so I can not only determine "what can I do about it" and "is it really worth the trouble?" But shows me that I really don't have it that bad. Taking responsibility for the things I do have some control over is where I can make the proper positive changes. Through this mental inventory I take myself through I can come to the "letting go" phase of my problem solving. When my worries are broken down into "acceptance" And "positive steps to change/gratitude for what I have" categories I can let go of the rest...

I'm also a big believer in Having a "ball team" if you will...a group of friends or family I can trust. Basically a support system, because I know myself and I can be a bit of a drama queen. These people keep me grounded and if I can't mentally solve my own problems, leading to unnecessary stress and worry my closest confidents can help me break it down a little easier . It's all sort of cheesy, new age, self help advice I know... But it works. It's just a matter of practicing these techniques enough that eventually this kind of mind set becomes second nature. Finally...exercise, spending time outdoors, and the always helpful self care pampering sesh are other ways I keep my stress to a minimum. Great thread btw ! It's awesome to see how others handle something as common yet debilitating as stress and worry.

• Like 3

Ah ! I know of this problem all too well... I myself have spent many countless nights awake in bed with stress and worry snowballing out of control. However, with age comes experience and with experience comes wisdom ( am I correct?) and although I'm at the still relatively tender age of 25 I've had plenty of experience. I have learned about a little thing called acceptance. Accepting what I have no control over, and literally saying this mantra over and over to myself when times get tough seems to help. Looking at the positive (literally writing out gratitude lists) allows me to contemplate each unique stressor so I can not only determine "what can I do about it" and "is it really worth the trouble?" But shows me that I really don't have it that bad. Taking responsibility for the things I do have some control over is where I can make the proper positive changes. Through this mental inventory I take myself through I can come to the "letting go" phase of my problem solving. When my worries are broken down into "acceptance" And "positive steps to change/gratitude for what I have" categories I can let go of the rest...

I'm also a big believer in Having a "ball team" if you will...a group of friends or family I can trust. Basically a support system, because I know myself and I can be a bit of a drama queen. These people keep me grounded and if I can't mentally solve my own problems, leading to unnecessary stress and worry my closest confidents can help me break it down a little easier . It's all sort of cheesy, new age, self help advice I know... But it works. It's just a matter of practicing these techniques enough that eventually this kind of mind set becomes second nature. Finally...exercise, spending time outdoors, and the always helpful self care pampering sesh are other ways I keep my stress to a minimum. Great thread btw ! It's awesome to see how others handle something as common yet debilitating as stress and worry.

All excellent techniques and ideas. Beauty, youth and wisdom all in one package - wow. Xo

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I have to admit that sometimes I don't handle stress very well.I have learnt to cope by focusing on something else seems to help me handle it. Meditation does help I find in the Zen fashion that I was taught in the GoJu Ryu style of karate along with proper breathing. It does help me.

Any other suggestions. I find a intensive exercise session helps release the stress and tension.

Or I can always go to a good MA and have my stress relief by massage.

Guest A**aTo**h

If I am overly stressed (which would mean I have multiple things stressing me rather than just one), then I find that I must exhaust myself in order to collapse and relax. To accomplish this a good couple hours on the bikes at the gym or out on the road. The Adrenaline high is nice, and the sleep that follows is incredible!

Guest K***e D****ls

I do a few things:

-breathing techniques to slow and regulate the heartbeat and quiet the mind

-work out (there's nothing like working up a serious sweat and getting those endorphins pumping to life a mood)

-count my blessings (it sounds cliche and lame but you realize how good you really have it)

-google 'faith in humanity restored' stories and pictures.. http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-most-touching-photos-ever-taken?sub=2759888_1989481#.muPMArnJE

-talk it out with friends and family (usually a different perspective can change things a great deal)

-get into some comfy clothes, wrap up in a blanket and watch a funny movie and take my mind off things (a recent favorite is 'The Intouchables')

It depends on the source of stress: if it's work related then a visit to the family doc to get a few days off help a lot ;) For other sources of stress, I just do my best and accept the outcome.

• Like 1

When you're worried and stressed out, you are only causing resistance in making it worse with what you really want. I firmly believe in the law of attraction. The vibes you send out to the universe is what it will send back to you. Courtesy of Abraham Hicks.

It has taken me a long time to change my patterns of thinking especially with stress. I've made some very big life changes and for the better and also in changing how I approach certain people, situations or events. In addition to this, my own thoughts which is the most important.

I now catch myself if I find myself using the words, "can't", "don't", "not" "want", "I need", "I wish I could", "but" and rephrase the way I speak and think. I also notice people interact with me differently now. Complete strangers I pass in the store or a store clerk I see at the grocery store every week whose lack customer service skills in the past have now become more engaging.

Nothing is perfect and life will always cause emotional turmoil, worry and stress and while you can't control certain people, events or any sort of life crisis, you will ALWAYS have the ability to control how YOU feel.

• Like 2

I agree it depends on the source of stress. Most of the time running or walking works. I also enjoy writing (or making art) and reading. Anything to take my mind off the source of stress. And sometimes a little solo session with a nap to follow and some netflix also does the trick ;)

• Like 3

I prefer to stare blankly into the on-coming lights of a slow motion train wreck (while standing squarely in the middle of the tracks). I don't consciously set myself up for stupid stuff - but "Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" (John Lennon).

Kind of a curious philosophy I know, but for me, the challenge is how to deal with a disastrous aftermath. People somehow find life between the moments of stepping from one landmine to another. Stress...of course. It's gonna happen - now why should I worry?

Stress is good, it keeps you sharp, on your toes, alert and ready to take action. It's when there's no stress, when I'm bored, worry sets in and that's tough to fight. When that happens I do something physical like using my home gym or going for a quick walk, or if the weather's good, a canoe trip on the lake just to exert myself and get back into a zone where I can handle any problems that appear.

• Like 3

How do I handle worry and stress?

With a good prescription!

Haha. I'm kidding.

I still can't find a physician that writes out a stress prescription for "tits, ass, sass and OOOO's" yet ?

So. I fly to Ottawa. R & OOOOO ;)

Guest bli****l

I break down what is causing me stress into small pieces then work it out that way. If it the stress is something that is way to difficult to deal I store it away...the subconscious and dreams well deal with it...I let it out a bit at a time..

I also use joking....LOL