I love the thirties and forties especially. Two of my faves are Harvey-with Jimmy Stewart and Arsenic and old lace-with Carey Grant. There is a woman in both those movies who's name escapes me-sorry in Harvey she plays Jimmy's sister in Arsenic and old lace I believe she plays Carey's aunt , Whoever she is she makes both of those movies:)

what are some of your favorites

Hi Cristy,

I believe you're referring to Josephine Hull

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401449/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

I love old movies and indulge whenever I can. It was all about the plot or story and of course the acting because special effects were crude and basic.

Comedies like the Marx Brothers, Ghost and Mr. Chicken, old Musicals with Dick Powell, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, and of course romances like An Affair to Remember, Shop Around the Corner or Bell Book & Candle. I loved Can Can and Gigi.

Hi Cristy,

I believe you're referring to Josephine Hull

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401449/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

I love old movies and indulge whenever I can. It was all about the plot or story and of course the acting because special effects were crude and basic.

Comedies like the Marx Brothers, Ghost and Mr. Chicken, old Musicals with Dick Powell, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, and of course romances like An Affair to Remember, Shop Around the Corner or Bell Book & Candle. I loved Can Can and Gigi.

Leave it to you:) thank you for adding that informative link, now more of her movies to watch:) and how could I forget about Dick Powell, loved him, especially the thin man series with Myrna Loy, those two had special chemistry:)

Without aging myself too much, I'll share some of my favourite oldies but goodies.

Some like it Hot - Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe

We're No Angles - Humphrey Bogart, Aldo Ray and Peter Ustinov

Frankenstein - Colin Clive and Boris Karloff (uncredited)

Casablanca - Bogart, Bergman and the incomparable Peter Lorre

And an early colour feature... The Wizard of Oz

• Like 2

Cristy you are a doll! I'd never heard of the Thin Man series for some reason and adoring Dick Powell, I'm downloading as we speak.

Emiafish, I forgot about Some Like it Hot!

White Christmas....Danny Kaye!

• Like 1

To Have and Have Not: Bogart and Bacall ... they simply sizzle on screen.

• Like 1

To Have and Have Not: Bogart and Bacall ... they simply sizzle on screen.

Yes they certainly did sizzle,I wonder if it was because they were getting it on off screen:) I thought her beauty was captivating

• Like 1

As someone who also loves old movies I have to say my 2 favourite oldtime movie stars are Cary Grant and Robert Mitchum mainly due to the fact their movies tend to remain fresh and timeless to this day. I also love the Thin Man series and the chemistry between William Powell and Myrna Loy (they also made another 6 movies outside of the Things Man series)

In terms of film genres one of my favourites is film noir, which is why I like Robert Mitchum as much as I do. He played Phillip Marlowe later in his career when he was about 60 years old and he still had it.

Lastly in terms of directors, my personal favourite is Alfred Hitchcock. Although he was the master of suspense he made a consistently excellent product for most of his career starting from silent movies up to the 1970's. As well he made a diverse selection of movies.

• Like 2

Arsenic and Old Lace is up there but my all time fave is Breakfast at Tiffany's. I also love the Dirty Harry movies.

• Like 1

One that I recently discovered that I liked a lot was The Great Escape. You can't go wrong with the older 007 movies with Sean Connery either!

• Like 1

Good old funny movie "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye 1956

Good Action film "The Longest Day" with John Wayne and a young Sean Connery. Many good actors.

• Like 1