What's everyone reading these days?

Currently, I've got the following on the go:

Rent Boys: The World of Male Sex Workers-Michel Dorais

-this is a study that was the result of interviews with forty male sex workers in Montreal.

Leaves of Grass-Walt Whitman

-I've always loved Whitman and when I learned that Leaves of Grass was banned in some states because of the gratuitous sex, well I went out and got my own copy :)

Anyone reading anything good? I'm always on the prowl for new reads.

Victor Hugo's Notre-Dame de Paris, in French. 'Tis a tough slog.

Ha, you are much stronger than I. I commend you good sir!

Hi,Erin

I love to read. Especially on a nice sunny day. Some of the recent books I have read are: A Priest in Hell by Randall Radic. A very good book about a priest who put his church on a double morrgage and lived a double life. He ended up in jail. The book is about his experiance in jail. It was a true story. The Gargole by Andrew Davidson. Not my favorite book. About a man who was a porm star/ film director who got in an accident that crippled him and Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe. A very intersting book about a prostitue/ theif in the 17th century. I think you would like it. I plan to read some of your books. They sound interesting. XOXO Peachy/Val

Guest s******ecan****

Just started "Falling Man" a novel by Don Delillo.

What sort of books do you like Erin? Novels, poetry, philosophy, etc?

Ha, you are much stronger than I. I commend you good sir!

I'd stop but I don't want to have to start up again if I do stop. And I would have to restart if I stopped, it's that dense.

Guest s******ecan****

Peachy PBS had a mini series based on the Moll Flanders book, it was very well done and quite enjoyable. A real good story. Daniel Dafoe has a remarkable body of work. His story of the great plague "A Journal of a Plague Year" is still considered the definitive work on the great London plague.

Hi,Erin

I love to read. Especially on a nice sunny day. Some of the recent books I have read are: A Priest in Hell by Randall Radic. A very good book about a priest who put his church on a double morrgage and lived a double life. He ended up in jail. The book is about his experiance in jail. It was a true story. The Gargole by Andrew Davidson. Not my favorite book. About a man who was a porm star/ film director who got in an accident that crippled him and Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe. A very intersting book about a prostitue/ theif in the 17th century. I think you would like it. I plan to read some of your books. They sound interesting. XOXO Peachy/Val

I remember reading part of Moll Flanders in high school. I don't think I really appreciated it as much as I could have, because I had to do a book report type thing and I got lazy and cole's noted it. Ha.

Guest o****abel***7

I'm re-reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" before I see the movie - it is fantastic. And also a book about Aztec culture called "The War of Witches" - can't stop dreaming about witches and conquistadors!

Just started "Falling Man" a novel by Don Delillo.

What sort of books do you like Erin? Novels, poetry, philosophy, etc?

In terms of fiction, I love science fiction, particularly dystopias. I also love magic realism (of the kind put forth by Gabriel Garcia Marquez).

I also love poetry. My favourite poets include: Dylan Thomas, Walt Whitman, Maya Angelou, Sylvia Plath, e.e. cummings.

I also enjoy non-fiction. I recently read Confessions of an Economic Hit-Man by John Perkins, and the Wisdom of Whores by Elizabeth Pisani (which I'd recommend to ANYONE interested in the business of AIDS and sex work in Asia). It's pretty excellent, she argues that the measures needed to control disease are not impossible, just unpopular: "It would mean making fun things (sex, drugs) safe, instead of trying to make safe things (abstinence, monogamy) fun."

Guest W***ledi*Time
I've always loved Whitman and when I learned that Leaves of Grass was banned in some states because of the gratuitous sex, well I went out and got my own copy.

Thanks to the censors, who so diligently help us pick out interesting books. The book I was named after, "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle, is another frequently challenged book in U.S. schools:

http://67.23.0.101/list/100-most-frequently-challenged-books-1990-1999-0

1stamendposters2_copy.jpg

Currently reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. I have read most of his books and have given to some of Regluar clients his novels as gifts...

i just finished the recent issue of Phychology Today ...great issue on Jealousy..

I started reading, The Hidden Life of Humans by Erika Ritter, love it so far... re-reading Confessor by Terry Goodkind (such a fantasy nerd).

Started on Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book, but I haven't gotten a chance to actually sit and get more than a couple pages in.

Edited by Parker
spelling

Thanks to the censors, who so diligently help us pick out interesting books. The book I was named after, "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle, is another frequently challenged book in U.S. schools:

http://67.23.0.101/list/100-most-frequently-challenged-books-1990-1999-0

Man, that takes me back. Sixth grade..

I should re-read that one. The Giver by Lois Lowry is another one I love that I read about the same time.

Guest f***2f***

Just finished "The Stone Carvers" by Jane Urquhart...great read and Canadian too.

Reading "the Rum Diary" by Hunter Thompson.

Edited by f***2f***
typo

I'm currently reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Eating." It's a follow-up book to his "The Omnivore's Dilemma" which I finished last week and which was fantastic! I learned something new on almost every page, and it took me a while to read it because some of the stuff was so unbelievable, that I had to go online and check it out to assure myself that the author wasn't just pulling my leg.

"In Defense of Eating" isn't quite as gobsmacking, but it's still pretty good.

• Like 1

I read a ton of trade and scientific journals plus OD on news feeds all day so when I relax I read fantasy and sci-fi (yes I am a dork:wink:). Currently I am working through Jim Butchers Dresden Files...currently on the book Grave Peril, I tend to read a bunch of books at the same time so I am also reading Terry Pratchett's Going Postal and David Weber's Storm from the Shadows.

Not the deepest books compared to some here, but I read to escape all the technical reading I do to stay current and informed.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/

http://www.harpercollins.com/features/pratchettbooks/description.aspx?isbn=9780060502935

http://www.davidweber.net/books/49-storm-from-the-shadows.html

the back of the Kleenex box!!!!:jackoff:

I know that in the back of Scotties its the same as on the top........but without the punch out tab.LOL

PS. Are you using the 2 ply?

Guest W***ledi*Time
What brand?

ha ha ... I'm sure the folks at Kimberly-Clark would be quick to point out that "Kleenex" is a brand. In fact, I suspect that a thorough investigation of the K-C marketing budget would expose A-man as being on the K-C viral-advertising payroll ... lol

I'm currently reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Eating." It's a follow-up book to his "The Omnivore's Dilemma" which I finished last week and which was fantastic! I learned something new on almost every page, and it took me a while to read it because some of the stuff was so unbelievable, that I had to go online and check it out to assure myself that the author wasn't just pulling my leg.

"In Defense of Eating" isn't quite as gobsmacking, but it's still pretty good.

Gobsmacking, what a great word! I'm going to have to check this book out, I've seen it on a couple of people's coffee tables and wondered what it was all about. Plus, I love a good mind-blowing read.

I started reading, The Hidden Life of Humans by Erika Ritter, love it so far... re-reading Confessor by Terry Goodkind (such a fantasy nerd).

Started on Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book, but I haven't gotten a chance to actually sit and get more than a couple pages in.

Is that book by Erika Ritter a non-fiction book?

I'm re-reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" before I see the movie - it is fantastic. And also a book about Aztec culture called "The War of Witches" - can't stop dreaming about witches and conquistadors!

That sounds exactly like my kind of book. I have a tattoo of Quetzecoatl, an Aztec god.

This is exciting, so many new books to check out!

Gobsmacking, what a great word! I'm going to have to check this book out, I've seen it on a couple of people's coffee tables and wondered what it was all about. Plus, I love a good mind-blowing read.

Yes, that's my "Susan Boyle" word of the day. But it well describes Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma."

..c..