What's everyone reading these days?

For me, the question is what aren't you reading. I probably have about 9 books on the go right now, dependent on the mood.

On my coffee table now is "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" ... the third in the Lisbeth Salander/Millenium series... Stieg Larsson

Paradise Lost by Giles Milton - concerning the destruction of Smyrna in 1922...

Generation X - Douglas Coupland

If you are looking for a great summer read by a Canadian author... Try Alan Bradley's "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" followed by "The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag"... both light and fun... like many of us that have read and secretly enjoyed the Harry Potters, Bradley introduces us to Flavia de Luce, a wonderfully precocious 11 year old girl with a passion for chemistry, crime solving and torturing her elder sisters. I know it sounds infantile, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

For me, the question is what aren't you reading. I probably have about 9 books on the go right now, dependent on the mood.

On my coffee table now is "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" ... the third in the Lisbeth Salander/Millenium series... Stieg Larsson

Paradise Lost by Giles Milton - concerning the destruction of Smyrna in 1922...

Generation X - Douglas Coupland

If you are looking for a great summer read by a Canadian author... Try Alan Bradley's "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" followed by "The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag"... both light and fun... like many of us that have read and secretly enjoyed the Harry Potters, Bradley introduces us to Flavia de Luce, a wonderfully precocious 11 year old girl with a passion for chemistry, crime solving and torturing her elder sisters. I know it sounds infantile, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I loved Harry Potter, and I'm okay with admitting that. :)

I just finished Try by Dennis Cooper, which is awesome. But in a dirty, disturbing sort of way. Read at your own peril.

Erin... if you loved Harry, then you will adore Flavia de Luce.

The Stieg Larsson series... just finished it... fantastic. Too bad the author passed away about 5 years ago, his character Lisbeth Salander is one of my all time favourite fictional characters. I could not recommend any trilogy with much greater conviction than I could with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."

Erin... if you loved Harry, then you will adore Flavia de Luce.

The Stieg Larsson series... just finished it... fantastic. Too bad the author passed away about 5 years ago, his character Lisbeth Salander is one of my all time favourite fictional characters. I could not recommend any trilogy with much greater conviction than I could with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest."

I keep seeing the trailers for the upcoming film adaptation, so now that I have your stamp of approval, I'll have to check it out. I wasn't so sure how I felt about it based on the trailers. Ha.

I keep seeing the trailers for the upcoming film adaptation, so now that I have your stamp of approval, I'll have to check it out. I wasn't so sure how I felt about it based on the trailers. Ha.

The Rainbow has it at 10am and at 8:50 pm. The Swedes have made all three movies (I haven't seen them yet) but my kid went and said the first one was fantastic... the only thing that was disturbing to her was a rather graphic "assault" scene (I don't want to give away too much.) She LOVED the actress cast as Lisbeth in the Swedish movie.... she said that she couldn't imagine anyone else in that role.

Guest O***wa**W

I am reading superfreakonomics right now. I read a fiction, then a non fiction, alternating, so my mind doesnt get stories confused.

When organizing my bookcases the other day, I counted all my books. I have 785.

I too love Harry Potter!

Recently, a special friend loaned me his Lord of the Rings trilogy. I started the first book today and was hooked after the first paragraph of the prologue!!!!

I am reading superfreakonomics right now.

Read Freakonomics which was great.

Currently slogging thru 'Data manipulation with R' which isn't a book as much as a torture device.

By Gavin De Becker

I say it's a must for ANYONE in this industry.

I use to have multiple copies on the shelf to give away.

I use to have multiple copies on the shelf to give away.

I read through it now and then, and sometimes it scares the living daylights out of me. Starting to trust the gut more often:shock:

I just finished Janice Dickinson's autobiography, "No Lifeguard on Duty" and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's a quick, rollercoaster of a read.

And now for something totally different, I'm reading A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller, Jr. So far, also excellent.

During my latest Chapter's excursion I also picked up the novel version of Battle Royale (originally a graphic novel made into a movie) and an author I've never read before, but who sounded like fun, Cherie Priest (the book is Boneshaker).

Boneshaker??? Couldn't you have written that by yourself Erin???

Boneshaker??? Couldn't you have written that by yourself Erin???

Well, as much as I would love to, I'm not really as up on my steampunk air pirate lore as I'd like to be ;)

Guest f***2f***

Just finished "The Bookseller of Kabul." excellent read.

Guest O***wa**W

Reading a book of poetry by a local (Ottawa) author, and Bite Me by Chris Moore.

Chris Moore is amazing. That whole series is quite good... but his best by far is Lamb.

Guest O***wa**W
Chris Moore is amazing. That whole series is quite good... but his best by far is Lamb.

I love him! I have all his books. Did you go see him when he came to Ottawa? He has a great message board on his website too, where he interacts with fans and aspiring writers.

I love him! I have all his books. Did you go see him when he came to Ottawa? He has a great message board on his website too, where he interacts with fans and aspiring writers.

I haven't partaken... but you have piqued my interest!

If Tomorrow Comes by: Sidney Sheldon

I saw the movie years ago but the book is so much better, they always are. I'm going to Chapter's tomorrow. I have read every book I own (well over 200-300) most times more than once. Time to start a new collection.

Reading and replying to the "your first brush with erotica" had me dust up a book i had started reading again during the fall but had set aside; "Sirens and other deamon lovers", edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. Great short stories about love and seduction.

Looooooooooooove Christopher Moore. Was just recommending Lamb to someone the other day! My absolute favourite is A Dirty Job though. LOVE IT.

I'm currentl reading 'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon, who wrote 'The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time'. Loved that one, not too big on the one I'm reading now though.

• Like 1

Looooooooooooove Christopher Moore. Was just recommending Lamb to someone the other day! My absolute favourite is A Dirty Job though. LOVE IT.

I'm currentl reading 'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon, who wrote 'The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time'. Loved that one, not too big on the one I'm reading now though.

I think I have given at least 4 copies of Lamb away to friends... it was that good!!! I read the Curious Incident... was debating A Spot of Bother... I will wait for your fulsome review!

My new passion? Ian Rankin, and his Inspector Rebus series. Edinburgh detective, crusty as hell, drinks a bit too much, smokes more than he should, rubs his bosses the wrong way. Love the guy and Rankin sets the stage perfectly... OHHHHH... and best of all, Rankin has Rebus as an SP friendly detective!!!

Great series for a quick read? Alan Bradley, a Canadian author from Cobourg has introduced a series of books set in 1950 in England. The protagonist is an 11 year old girl named Flavia de Luce... like Harry Potter it is fun for all ages! Titles are: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag and A Red Herring Without the Mustard... I highly recommend!

Nice to see this thread active again so quickly.... I'm building a new list of books just now. I've got a series started, "un bonheur si fragile", by Michel David, about life at the turn of the century in Quebec. Kind of an historical drama.