What's everyone reading these days?

Reading Orhan Pamuk's My Name is Red. Murder mystery, a tale of competing artists and jealousies in Istanbul in 1500. Also East meets West. Very interesting.

Can't go wrong with a good historical murder mystery.

Thanks for a welcome to the boards - nice to be welcomed. Does sound like we are into some simliar things, which intrigues me :razz:. Hope you get hold of Swallow -- pretty fine. If you can get any Calvino, it is worth the read, because he is a wonderful writer. Also try Michel Tounier - the Fetishist or the Midnight Love Feast, both steeped in magic realism, and/or sex, just a tinge of kinky sex, and great, tender human moments...all brilliantly written. I will try to see what is around in the bookshops, maybe I can drop something by sometime :cooter:?

Well, I'll be hitting up the library soon to check these out. If I can't find them there, I'll see what Chapters has to offer, though it's possible Venus Envy might carry them, or After Stonewall.

Guest f***2f***

Just started last night "Downhill Chance" by Donna Morrissey.

" With Kit’s Law, Donna Morrissey established herself as a gifted storyteller. Her chronicle of life in a remote Newfoundland outport was acclaimed by critics and embraced by readers worldwide. Downhill Chance is a captivating successor to Morrissey’s first novel. Set in a pair of isolated fishing communities in Newfoundland during and after the Second World War, this is the story of two families joined by friendship but torn apart by fear and sorrows.

Prude Osmond reads her tea leaves and predicts dark days ahead. Meanwhile, an hour’s boat ride away, Job Gale leaves his wife and two young daughters behind to fight in the war, a cause neither they nor their neighbors understand. The war and the dark secrets it holds cascade over the Gale family, afflicting the sensitive yet resourceful Clair, an unforgettable heroine. Forced to restart her life in another place, she must forsake the family she loves and her community.

Morrissey blends drama, gritty realism, and a flair for the comic in this unique novel. At its core is the unravelling of secrets — and the redemption that truth ultimately brings."

I'm reading very many threads here on CERB!!!:cooter: then off to read the Sun, staring the sunshine girls, and then back to CERB staring at the lovely pictures here on CERB:boobeyes::motion: LOL

Just finished Lynne Truss' "Talk to the hand: the utter bloody rudeness of the world today, or six reasons to stay home and bolt the door." I loved it! Very British flavour, but she's got to be my identical twin, separated at birth. Her reactions were so similar to my own! I couldn't find anything to disagree with.

When I told my daughter I had downloaded this book, she said, "you don't really need any more reasons to stay home and bolt the door!" She's right about that. I try not to go out and face the rudeness unless I absolutely have to. I'm definitely from another generation.

VAMPIRE A GO-GO by Victor Gischler. It has a vampire (obviously!), werewolves, witches, a golem, ghosts, zombies, and a Jesuit Attack Squad. No, really! It's a lot of fun!

Due to intellectual rights expiring the following books have popped up and while I was never a huge fan of Austen's work...I may have to read these out of sheer curiosity.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

http://www.amazon.ca/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre

http://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Darcy-Vampyre-Amanda-Grange/dp/1402236972

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies will be read right after I slog through Pride and Prejudice. Don't want to miss anything...

Due to intellectual rights expiring the following books have popped up and while I was never a huge fan of Austen's work...I may have to read these out of sheer curiosity.

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre

I've read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it was fun! It's basically the exact same story, but with zombies stuck in. For example, when Elizabeth goes to visit Mr. Darcy, she ends up fighting zombies on the way.

I just started reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and it is SO GOOD. I am totally involved, I think I read about 150 pages in the first sitting. I generally find Neil Gaiman to be hit and miss (American Gods wasn't that great, IMO), but Neverwhere is fabulous.

Have you read Good Omens by him and Terry Pratchett? One of my favorite books eva!

I've read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it was fun! It's basically the exact same story, but with zombies stuck in. For example, when Elizabeth goes to visit Mr. Darcy, she ends up fighting zombies on the way.

I just started reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and it is SO GOOD. I am totally involved, I think I read about 150 pages in the first sitting. I generally find Neil Gaiman to be hit and miss (American Gods wasn't that great, IMO), but Neverwhere is fabulous.

Guest W***ledi*Time
Have you read Good Omens by him and Terry Pratchett? One of my favorite books eva!

Oh yes!! An absolutely hilarious book!

"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home."

Currebtly reading the second book of the TRUE BLOOD series entitled " Living Dead in Dallas".......I think there are 7 books in the series and more to come......

Any fan of TRUE BlOOD would enjoy them..although I'm shocked by how different the show is from the book...There are characters on the HBO show thatr dont even exist in the books...Strange.....Enjoyable reading anyhow!!

iNOTE TO ALL TRUE BLOODERS, SEASON 2 FINALE IS TONIGHT @ 9PM ONTARIO TIME ON HBO OF COURSE..THE LAST EPISODE FRENZY IS ON AT 8PM FOR THOSE THAT MISSED IT...THIS IS ONE I'LL BE TAPING ON MY BOX FOR SURE!

ENJOY!

I have been eagerly awaiting the finale for a couple of weeks! Is it just me or is the show so bad it is good? I mean Anna Paquin is horrible, her brother is bloody annoying (95% of the time), so is Terra and her mother but I can't stop watching...the show is like television crack...

Oh and does anyone else laugh when Bill says 'Sooky' in his Vampire voice? So hard to take that name seriously...

Currebtly reading the second book of the TRUE BLOOD series entitled " Living Dead in Dallas".......I think there are 7 books in the series and more to come......

Any fan of TRUE BlOOD would enjoy them..although I'm shocked by how different the show is from the book...There are characters on the HBO show thatr dont even exist in the books...Strange.....Enjoyable reading anyhow!!

iNOTE TO ALL TRUE BLOODERS, SEASON 2 FINALE IS TONIGHT @ 9PM ONTARIO TIME ON HBO OF COURSE..THE LAST EPISODE FRENZY IS ON AT 8PM FOR THOSE THAT MISSED IT...THIS IS ONE I'LL BE TAPING ON MY BOX FOR SURE!

ENJOY!

I have been eagerly awaiting the finale for a couple of weeks! Is it just me or is the show so bad it is good? I mean Anna Paquin is horrible, her brother is bloody annoying (95% of the time), so is Terra and her mother but I can't stop watching...the show is like television crack...

Oh and does anyone else laugh when Bill says 'Sooky' in his Vampire voice? So hard to take that name seriously...

I agree..definitly so bad it's good. Like a car accident..should not look but cant look away. Yes Ana P is not the best actress and Tara's Mother drives me crazy.....Read the books both Tara and her Mom dont even exist!!!! (well not yet anyway).

Jason sookies brother is so dumb but so cute......a great mix! I'm dying to see what will happen..from what the previews have shown..Mary ann tries to marry dionysis...WOW!

Well it will be our last "fix" until last year....

Sorry Erin did not mean to highjack your thread!

I agree..definitly so bad it's good. Like a car accident..should not look but cant look away. Yes Ana P is not the best actress and Tara's Mother drives me crazy.....Read the books both Tara and her Mom dont even exist!!!! (well not yet anyway).

Jason sookies brother is so dumb but so cute......a great mix! I'm dying to see what will happen..from what the previews have shown..Mary ann tries to marry dionysis...WOW!

Well it will be our last "fix" until last year....

Sorry Erin did not mean to highjack your thread!

HA! No worries, I'm totally down with a thread about True Blood.

I happen to think Anna Paquin is a decent actress. Jason is dumb, but loveable.

My boyfriend and I will often, out of nowhere, just say, "Sookie is mine," in Bill's voice. It cracks us up everytime.

I am totally looking forward to the finale tonight. The classicist in me was annoyed that Maryann is supposed to be a Maenad. In ancient Greece, maenads were female worshippers of Dionysus and performed orgiastic dances. The way she's been portrayed on the show is more akin to Dionysus himself.

I, for one, love the parallels to real life: the way vampires are treated is similar to the way homosexuals or blacks are viewed by some.

I'm now reading The Death Of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave in preparation for his signing here in Ottawa on Thursday, the 17th.

So far it's as haunting and moving as any of his music.

I'm now reading The Death Of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave in preparation for his signing here in Ottawa on Thursday, the 17th.

So far it's as haunting and moving as any of his music.

Man, I'm so out of the loop! Nick Cave is coming to Ottawa?!

His cover of Stagger Lee is possibly the greatest ever. I also knew a stripper from New Zealand and Stagger Lee was her favourite song to dance to.

Man, I'm so out of the loop! Nick Cave is coming to Ottawa?!

His cover of Stagger Lee is possibly the greatest ever. I also knew a stripper from New Zealand and Stagger Lee was her favourite song to dance to.

Yes, he'll be here Thursday evening as part of the Writer's Festival. He won't be performing, sadly. Unlike his European booksigning dates where he will be performing with Warren Ellis. Gah!

And I agree with you on Stagger Lee. There are over 200 recorded versions of that song, and his is the best, in my opinion. Never seen anyone strip to it though, that'd be fun! :butt:

Yes, he'll be here Thursday evening as part of the Writer's Festival. He won't be performing, sadly. Unlike his European booksigning dates where he will be performing with Warren Ellis. Gah!

And I agree with you on Stagger Lee. There are over 200 recorded versions of that song, and his is the best, in my opinion. Never seen anyone strip to it though, that'd be fun! :butt:

She demonstrated how to give a lapdance to that song and my vagina almost blew a gasket, I was so turned on.

I would highly recommend "Candy Girl" by Cody Diablo (she also wrote the script for Juno and recently Jennifer's Body). The book is about her experience leaving a call centre job to work as an exotic dancer in Minneapolis at various clubs, including champagne rooms, and eventually in a peep show booth at a sex store. She writes in a straightforward manner about what it was like for her, how she was supported very non-judgementally by her partner, what the employers and the clients were like. Great read.

Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys was great, very light but enjoyable reading. For those who like espionnage/mystery, I highly recommend Gerald Seymour. Many great books.

Always enjoy the John Sandford "Prey" series, really enjoy how he writes Lucas Davenport and his "don't give a s***" attitude.

I've started reading some of the "Constantine" graphic novels, very dark and not always the happiest of endings, but really imaginative.

Looking forward to reading more in the Greg Bear "Darwin's Radio" series.

Having finished a bunch of books I am now reading:

Spook Country by William Gibson and

The Lost Throne by Chris Kuzneski

The Lost Throne is a good read, it's a Davinci Code meets spy thriller kind of story, but Spook Country is just amazing. Reading through it reminds me why Gibson is one of my favorite authors of all time. His stories all follow a similar path but he makes you believe in his characters, his scenarios and his world like no other novelist I have read....If you have never tried Gibson start with Burning Chrome and work your way up. He invented the idea of Cyperpunk (essentially) and his ideas and concepts are always exceptional.

Having finished a bunch of books I am now reading:

Spook Country by William Gibson and

The Lost Throne by Chris Kuzneski

The Lost Throne is a good read, it's a Davinci Code meets spy thriller kind of story, but Spook Country is just amazing. Reading through it reminds me why Gibson is one of my favorite authors of all time. His stories all follow a similar path but he makes you believe in his characters, his scenarios and his world like no other novelist I have read....If you have never tried Gibson start with Burning Chrome and work your way up. He invented the idea of Cyperpunk (essentially) and his ideas and concepts are always exceptional.

Yep, and Johnny Mnemonic is based off Neuromancer or a short story he wrote, I can't recall. I read it in high school.

Johnny Mnemonic is one of the short stories in Burning Chrome, unfortunately the Keanu Reeves movie based on the story was so bad it ruined any chances of Neuromancer and the rest of the trilogy becoming films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmKLzmPMso

Horrible, horrible acting by Keanu....

They are all great stories though....

Yep, and Johnny Mnemonic is based off Neuromancer or a short story he wrote, I can't recall. I read it in high school.

Guest O***wa**W

I love to read! I have over 630 books in my private "library".

I typically have both a non fiction, and fiction book going at once, as well as poetry books and magazines.