What's everyone reading these days?

Currently I am beginning The Sentimentalists, by Johanna Skibsrud. I need to block off some Reading Time for myself so I can really dive in without any distractions! Good read so far! (Should be as it won a Giller).

I think I have given at least 4 copies of Lamb away to friends... it was that good!!! I read the Curious Incident... was debating A Spot of Bother... I will wait for your fulsome review!

My new passion? Ian Rankin, and his Inspector Rebus series. Edinburgh detective, crusty as hell, drinks a bit too much, smokes more than he should, rubs his bosses the wrong way. Love the guy and Rankin sets the stage perfectly... OHHHHH... and best of all, Rankin has Rebus as an SP friendly detective!!!

Dog, you've got great taste in books! Lamb was incredible; read it on a suggestion, and have started passing it on too.

Read all the Inspector Rebuses last year. The gradual introduction of technology (PCs, crime scene techs, cell phones) was fun to notice. Rebus is a well-written character, terribly flawed but immensely likeable for his tenacity.

I just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I loved it, it was too funny. It's perfect for reading on the toilet, haha, because it is made up of short little autobiographical stories. Also, that's about the only time I have to read things that aren't textbooks.

Rulers of Darkness by Steven Spruill. At my incall location, there are two huge bookcases filled with hard cover books. I started at the very top and plan to work my way thru all of them!

Currently I am beginning The Sentimentalists, by Johanna Skibsrud. I need to block off some Reading Time for myself so I can really dive in without any distractions! Good read so far! (Should be as it won a Giller).

I hope you are having better luck with that than me... it is just not grabbing me. Of course if I was reading over your shoulder I might get a little more... who am I kidding... I would be staring at your boobs.

As for book prizes, success doesn't equate with readable. The Man Booker Prize winning "The Gathering" and "Wolf Hall" were probably two of the WORST reads of the last millennium. Combine that with Jose Saramago's "Blindness" getting the Nobel prize for literature... eeek.

I hope you are having better luck with that than me... it is just not grabbing me. Of course if I was reading over your shoulder I might get a little more... who am I kidding... I would be staring at your boobs.

As for book prizes, success doesn't equate with readable. The Man Booker Prize winning "The Gathering" and "Wolf Hall" were probably two of the WORST reads of the last millennium. Combine that with Jose Saramago's "Blindness" getting the Nobel prize for literature... eeek.

I actually didn't mind Blindness. It took me a bit to get used to the style of writing where none of the speakers are necessarily identified as such (i.e. "so and so said, "blah blah blah""), but I thought that was a nice touch to give the reader the full feeling of being with a bunch of blind people.

I agree with you on Blindness... the story itself was good, but it was one of those books that drove me absolutely crazy with the style.

I was hoping that it was an homage to the story... the lack of punctuation and sentence/paragraph/chapter structure seeming to blindly go without stop. Nope.

The sequel, "Seeing" is written in the same style. He may have been a creative genius in his storytelling, but I will never touch another Saramago book just because of the structure.

I agree with you on Blindness... the story itself was good, but it was one of those books that drove me absolutely crazy with the style.

I was hoping that it was an homage to the story... the lack of punctuation and sentence/paragraph/chapter structure seeming to blindly go without stop. Nope.

The sequel, "Seeing" is written in the same style. He may have been a creative genius in his storytelling, but I will never touch another Saramago book just because of the structure.

Damn, if his other books are written that way as well, then screw him. I thought he was being clever with his lack of clarity. Haha.

Guest O***wa**W
Rulers of Darkness by Steven Spruill. At my incall location, there are two huge bookcases filled with hard cover books. I started at the very top and plan to work my way thru all of them!

Same here, I have a wall with 5 book cases (over 800 books total) and I keep the ones I have read seperate from those I have not, and just work my way down!